Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I found discarded ham on the library floor three separate times last year. Then I found a smear of cream cheese underneath the European History shelf.

I do not understand.

someone's trynna make a library sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

By popular demand posted:

drat, it's not available for my kindle.
E: And I already got a pile of books to pick up when I get to visit my family in the U.S.

https://archive.org/details/shakedownstreet00nasa

(not 100% sure how you arrange to borrow epubs from archive.org, but it's an option they make available)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Vavrek posted:

Oh god, that story. :magical: That story was just hilarious to me when I was 13. I think that collection also had a dentist abducted by aliens who was working on some whale-sized creature whose cavities were large enough to climb inside.

he did a whole set of stories about "Dr Dillingham, Space Dentist", and they're collected in "Prostho Plus" (which I recall as being not terrible).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Cythereal posted:

With this particular incident: you can be the smartest, most published man in the world, but if you check the "Monthly" box instead of the "Annual" box I'm going to process your paperwork monthly. Yelling at me because you thought the monthly option meant I'd divide that number by twelve and process that smaller amount each month does nothing but entertain me.

I'm going to admit that I don't understand the distinction you're making between "process your paperwork monthly" and "divide that number by twelve and process that smaller amount each month".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

why are architects such dumb fucks / assholes?

you know the trend among fashion designers to create clothing that is meant only as a work of art, and not for use by actual humans?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

Book disinfection: nope.

The library system I'm about to move to is doing online checkouts with curbside pickup. No returns.

I'm super hyped about it but they're going to lose a LOT of books :(

... no returns? What?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Communist Zombie posted:

What exactly would a full set be? Over a decades worth with no missing issues?

NatGeo's been going for over a century.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

therattle posted:

What about the well-known Dutch author Charles Dikkens?

We don't talk about him. Why don't you try Reddit?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

DerekSmartymans posted:

In all seriousness, though, when I was in college somebody spilled coffee on some W. Faulkner correspondence. Since my college was Ole Miss, it was scandalous enough that even us Bio/Chem folks followed the story for a month. 👴🏻

Someone who has since died once told me the story of how, when she was studying at a university in Belgium, she was in the Old Documents room at the library, and another student came in to consult some 17th-century ledgers

and took out a pink highlighter and underlined some important details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

I'm considering doing a data science project which would involve automated analysis of at least several hundred (but probably less than a thousand) fiction novels that were published in the last few years. Ideally I would have a script check out the ebook, download it, remove the DRM, analyze it, delete my copy, and immediately return it. For this project piracy is not an option, the analysis must be done on legally-acquired ebooks. Since I'm not actually reading them I'm really concerned about the potential negative impact on the library and other patrons. I've tried googling how much checking out ebooks costs libraries and the answers are constantly changing and mostly unknowable for me. I even found some librarians saying it's really just Good to check out ebooks because their budget depends on people actually using the resources so I don't know if I should be worrying at all.

I won't be doing it all at once, I'll spread my borrowing across several systems, and I'll borrow some from Kindle Unlimited. Is that enough? I could also skip certain publishers, skip anything from bestseller lists/oprah/etc, or just skip any book that Overdrive says someone else has checked out a copy of. Am I way overthinking this?

I believe the 'removing the DRM' stage may be illegal, which I'd normally scoff at but you said the legalities are important here. You could limit your project to publishers that omit DRM (e.g., Baen, Tor), or the vast "free!" sections on Smashwords, Kobo, etc?

Also, I very much hope this isn't something involving large language models so that you could automate the generation of prose-like content.