Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's presumably this:

https://twitter.com/1mikaelams/status/1424768200370229252

I actually first found this reply:

https://twitter.com/QueenOfRats/status/1425084148281012226

And there are tons of replies from actual librarians trying to explain things, which at least seem to be getting more priority in my feed of the thing.

Those are all olllllllllld. Like, that copy of Romeo and Juliet is the same one I had around 2000-2003. They all look really yellowed, so odds are a lot of them are brittle and stinky, too, besides the broken spines and dog-eared pages.

Anyway, weeding is common, and unless a library is specifically an archival library, they should not keep old crap no one is reading. My library gives weeded material to Better World Books and the stuff that is legit falling apart and nasty goes in a dumpster. If there's still a place for it in the collection, we'll buy a new copy at some point. But most public libraries are not archival, and some high school's library for sure is not.

e: I was going to gripe about the laziness of not removing the plastic on a book, but then I remembered that nearly all school libraries get any processing done by a vendor or service, so they probably just never circulated at all.

CynCyanide fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

a friendly penguin posted:

All Maryland public libraries went fine free earlier this year. Some of them are more well funded than others, but all of them are county government based or Baltimore City (with one exception that I refuse to acknowledge) so the funding isn't as tenuous as it would be in a small town. But it also meant that a lot of the fines that libraries took in went to a general government budget rather than straight back to the library so they're not necessarily missing it.

It sorta sucked when this came up on drive-time morning radio a few weeks ago. The hosts were talking about how Baltimore County had eliminated late fees and the co-host said "you can just keep stuff forever, the library doesn't care anymore," or something very close to that. Of course, on another occasion, same co-host also forgot the name of the previous library director, who she had interviewed a couple of times, so, you know, kind of a dipshit.

Anyway, as far as I know customers like fine-free, but it did sort of render the student accounts through Baltimore County Public Schools sort of pointless.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Sometimes the weirdos work IN the library.

The director's office gave all of us underlings a mug and a hot chocolate bomb for a holiday gift. One of my coworkers did not know what it was, so he cracked open the hot chocolate bomb in the break room and ate it like a kinder egg. He described it as "a ball of chocolate full of stale marshmallows. Pretty tasty."

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
My library system does graphic novels (which includes manga in our case)by title if they are part of a series, by author if they are a standalone. Series get a volume number after the cutter. My supervisor hates the volume numbers because do you have any idea just how many Batman Volume 1s there are? But the branch staff who have to shelve the things seem to like the volume numbers so for now they remain.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

I brought my Drake posted:

:byodame: OMG DID YOU KNOW THE CATALOG'S DOWN :byodame:

Literally the only time anybody remembers or cares about technical services.

:smith:

I've had branch staff send us emails asking for help with their passwords. The head of marketing once forwarded an email from a customer to the entire department and admitted in that email that she didn't really know what Tech Services does.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

DicktheCat posted:

Literally every basic cybersecurity thing is "staff will not ask you for your password, keep up with your password".

Come on.

One thing I don't get about gen x and back in particular is how they used to have dozens of phone numbers memorized, but usually have this issue. I hate the amount of passwords we have to recall normally, but come on.

I feel I should point out that technical services isn't technical support, at least in my case. We just catalog and process books. They were asking the folks who put stickers on the books to help them with their password, which, uh, I cannot help them with.

My library system lost out tech support to the county government a few years back, so now we have to ask county OIT to help us, and most of them are like "WTF is this library poo poo?"

They wanted to take my department too, because they heard "technical" and my department head to explain that, no, it's technical as in skilled in a trade, not technical as in technology. I don't think the government needs a whole team of professional sticker-putter-on-ers. Or adhesive label application technicians if you like.

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!

CynCyanide posted:

I feel I should point out that technical services isn't technical support, at least in my case. We just catalog and process books. They were asking the folks who put stickers on the books to help them with their password, which, uh, I cannot help them with.

My library system lost out tech support to the county government a few years back, so now we have to ask county OIT to help us, and most of them are like "WTF is this library poo poo?"

They wanted to take my department too, because they heard "technical" and my department head to explain that, no, it's technical as in skilled in a trade, not technical as in technology. I don't think the government needs a whole team of professional sticker-putter-on-ers. Or adhesive label application technicians if you like.

LMAO, since I posted this, my supervisor announced at a department meeting that they're going to change the name of the department to be "Cataloging and Processing" because they're tired of the branch staff not knowing what the gently caress we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
Yeah, my system takes donations for the Friends of the Library sale. Whatever doesn't sell gets sent to Better World Books or something. The one exception is like, a donated copy from a local writer of their own book. That we take and send to whatever branch they either requested or is closest to them.