Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

When Rift launched it felt like a real step forward from WoW. Then I played it after it went F2P years later and it felt like the exact same game except with a cash shop and 1/20 the population. I guess the problem is that the universe doesn't really need more than one WoW.

There's room for a niche game like RIFT if they added enough innovation to differentiate sufficiently, although the market's a lot smaller than it used to be. I blame Trion's fall more on managerial incompetence than choice of game. Remember how Defiance had a loving television series attached to it? Those sure as hell don't come cheap. It felt like them getting lucky with a single moderately successful product and then the top brass ignoring it in favor of diverting resources to vanity projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU