Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Byolante posted:

Daybreak got rescued by a company that uses ex russian spec-ops mercenaries to do armed takeovers of siberian oil wells because Putin wanted his daughter to be able to indulge her game dev hobby.

puberty worked me over posted:

The whole Columbus Nova / Daybreak saga was an amazing read thank you for bringing this up. Especially the part about them being really really sloppy about trying to cover it up. MMO company drama still more entertaining than most MMOs.

Where can I read more about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Byolante posted:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/the...sia-36807%3famp

Renova Group are the parent company of Columbus nova. Their ceo got sanctioned by the us this year and was making campaign contributions to trump.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/ars...iation/%3famp=1

Post sanctions on renova smeddo and the gang have been flailing around saying even though the site privacy policy said daybreak was owned by Columbus nova it isn't actually owned by Columbus nova.

Well at least they found a nice home laundering money for Russian oligarchs. What a happy ending

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Morglon posted:

That was every game back then though you couldn't just do your own thing your game had to emulate and kill something else.

It's super interesting to me the way that we have historically talked about MMO's. WoW became a monolithic presence, "killing" EQ (not really but I think you understand what I mean). Every game designed after that had to be "The WoW Killer." And they all suffered for it, and there was very little innovation in the MMO market space as a result. Companies that tried to innovate (WAR's public quests come to mind first) failed because they still wanted to be the "WoW Killer" and their design & development were too muddled to be sustainable. Most of the innovations from that time have been widely adopted, many even by WoW - but not until after the games that birthed them died and were largely forgotten.

It hasn't been until the most recent crop of MMO's, like GW2 and FFXIV, that it's stopped being about taking away from WoW, and creating their own audience and satisfying gameplay loop to keep that audience. And micro-transactions I guess, although that's the entire video games industry and probably a topic worth a ton of its own discussion.