Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Jeez, this thread looks like something leaked from the NSA.

What is the actual gameplay here? Are you just walking throughout the ship and playing memory snippets when you find a dead body? And then trying to match names with faces? I like the idea but I'm not sure what I'd actually be doing if I spend $20. I see you guys talking about getting different endings -- how can your actions make any difference? Murder mystery aboard a sailing ship sounds interesting, but being an insurance agent rather than a detective is weird. Am I solving murders or documenting the ship for the insurance payout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Am I solving murders or documenting the ship for the insurance payout?

The latter. Some murders are solved but that's a happy byproduct.

What you've described is the gameplay, but it doesn't really do it justice. The game is one huge logic puzzle so if that's not your thing then feel free to give it a miss.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's about saying (person) was killed by (method) by (person).

But it's also about going back through a set of memories after you've seen the start and trying to figure out if one guy got clubbed because of a misunderstanding because he was standing over a dead body and a guy who'd shouted out who was stabbed in the back, or if he got clubbed because the other guy was in on the reason for the fight starting. It's about the realization that there's an entirely different way to verify whether some people are alive during a scene or not. It's about the realization that you do have a way of figuring out what became of people after you thought they went out of your ability to find them in a memory.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I see you guys talking about getting different endings -- how can your actions make any difference?

Apart from uncovering the story, your actions have only a very minor impact. The biggest difference is that you only ever get to see Chapter 8 if you fill out all the others correctly, although it doesn't hold any shocking revelations.

You don't actually have to get anyone's names or fates right, though. The only condition for reaching the ending is witnessing every scene. Once you've done that, you can get back on your rowboat and leave even if the rest of the book is a complete blank. And hey, maybe you don't want the East India Company to know the whole truth. If your report implicates anyone in a killing, even an accidental or justifiable one, then the Company will fine their family . Maybe you decide you don't want that happening to someone, so you fudge your report to say their victim or victims had a different killer or a different cause of death.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 24, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really Pants posted:

If your report implicates anyone in a killing, even an accidental or justifiable one, then the Company will fine their family . Maybe you decide you don't want that happening to someone, so you fudge your report to say their victim or victims had a different killer or a different cause of death.

Should probably spoiler this.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Really Pants posted:

Once you've done that, you can get back on your rowboat and leave even if the rest of the book is a complete blank.

Speaking of the latter, while there's only one "bad ending" achievement, (early ending spoilers) the letter from Jane Bird will vary depending on how much you've completed. The possibilities range from Evans lamenting that the complete truth won't come to light but thanking you for trying your best, to Jane implying that you killed him through sheer disappointment

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

man this game owns

managed to figure everything out on my own, but had to resort to guesswork for the Chinese topmen and a few of the seamen, especially since i never actually found the bunk tags. I assume that's the key to non-cheaply identifying them?

i think my single biggest breakthrough was figuring out how much information the Justice at Sea sketch gives you - all the stewards wear the same uniform, the gunner's mate is standing right to the gunner, the 4th mate's steward is standing right next to him, ect.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

GraveVideos posted:

I discovered yesterday that when you're in the memory scene and hold the right mouse button when looking at a crew member - the game will overlay his/her face with the corresponding person in the crew picture. You can also just hit the journal shortcut when holding the right mouse button to dirctly jump to the person. Was this explained in some tutorial? because I only found this by accident.

Really Pants posted:

I don't think it gets explained before you actually try it. You can also jump right to somebody's journal page if you open it while looking at their remains and holding up the watch.
Zooming in was definitely explained to me by a prompt, during one of the early chapter 8 memories I think. As I zoomed in another prompt told me about tabbing to the matching page. Same for jumping to a murder's page, I got a prompt for that.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 25, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just finished. Definitely feel like I "cheated" by doing a lot of educated guesswork but still felt detective-y enough that I'd say I beat the game properly. Like someone else mentioned, the Life at Sea sketch gives tons of information, more than enough for you to start winnowing down possibilities without necessarily knowing precise details. What also helped me a fair bit was realizing that in the dialogue transcripts, an X is next to any lines spoken by the person who's death you're investigating.

And lol at people worrying about fudging the reports so peoples' families don't get charged. You're working for the East India Company, the OG evil corporation. They'll probably charge the families' anyway for the hell of it.

Not quite the absolute masterclass in game and narrative design that Papers, Please was but still heads and tails above other indie games. Really hope Pope continues to make amazing stuff.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

dmboogie posted:

i think my single biggest breakthrough was figuring out how much information the Justice at Sea sketch gives you - all the stewards wear the same uniform, the gunner's mate is standing right to the gunner, the 4th mate's steward is standing right next to him, ect.
The sketch is a goldmine - once you have a handful of identities sorted, you can ID many others by who they're standing by. For example: The helmsman's at the wheel, the officers are mostly standing next to each other, with their rank corresponding to distance to the Capt, the stewards are dressed alike, the topmen are grouped together, the seamen are grouped together, stewards are next to their mates etc.

Is that the EZIC star shining from the sea?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Is that the EZIC star shining from the sea?

Short answer:

________________________________no________________________________

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm at 56 fates solved and have a question about whether it is time to leave the boat or not, any spoiler-free advice would be appreciated if possible (heavy spoilers follow of course):
There are four fates left, two of which I'm sure can't be solved until I get off the boat: Martin Nichols the 3rd mate, and Filip Dahl the Captain's steward. Neither of these dudes have any fate shown so far as far as I can tell, so I must learn during the Bargain.

The other two seem solved to me, but I haven't gotten any confirmation:
Zungi Sathi, the ship's steward, was shown in Soldiers of the Sea 7 dying of spikes shot by a terrible beast after spending a few scenes crawling away into the port walk. Not sure what else I could do here, but no confirmation.
Aleksei Toporov, one of the Russians, was shown falling off of a boat during the Calling, so I've got him down as drowned by a terrible beast, which has worked for other characters who drowned during various beast attacks even if not directly pulled under. But again, no confirmation.

So... is it time to get off the boat?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

The other two seem solved to me, but I haven't gotten any confirmation:
Zungi Sathi, the ship's steward, was shown in Soldiers of the Sea 7 dying of spikes shot by a terrible beast after spending a few scenes crawling away into the port walk. Not sure what else I could do here, but no confirmation.

This one's wrong.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Really Pants posted:

Short answer:

________________________________no________________________________
The third shell? that was on the body of the Captain's steward?

Really Pants posted:

This one's wrong.
It was my last one solved too! It has two fakers

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 26, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Really Pants posted:

This one's wrong.

Aha! Thanks, a closer look helped.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bold Robot posted:

Aleksei Toporov, one of the Russians, was shown falling off of a boat during the Calling, so I've got him down as drowned by a terrible beast, which has worked for other characters who drowned during various beast attacks even if not directly pulled under. But again, no confirmation.[/spoiler]

The phrasing "fell overboard" worked for me on this one.

You will also be told very specifically when there is nothing left to discover on the Obra Dinn.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
So once I've got all the fates solved, is that the "good" ending?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hell of a game, amazing puzzle. Very glad I picked this up.

The one thing I am still unclear on is what was the 2nd mate's plan? After the mutiny, where was going with the Formosans and their chest? Am I right that the shells were in the chest all along and opening it out at sea caused the initial attack by the mermaids?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bold Robot posted:

Hell of a game, amazing puzzle. Very glad I picked this up.

The one thing I am still unclear on is what was the 2nd mate's plan? After the mutiny, where was going with the Formosans and their chest? Am I right that the shells were in the chest all along and opening it out at sea caused the initial attack by the mermaids?

I think he was trying to sail to one of the nearby islands or mainland Africa. And I think the chest was not opened until the end, when...something pacified them.

My pet theory is that the Shells were a means of controlling the sea people that the Formosans has, which is why they stopped attacking once the dude opened the chest and why the sea people attacked them; The wanted to seize their own leashes, so to speak.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I have a question about proper labeling of fates.

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Occultatio posted:

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

the first one might work but the second definitely will

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Occultatio posted:

I used the latter and completed all fates. I did not use the former at all.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think he was trying to sail to one of the nearby islands or mainland Africa. And I think the chest was not opened until the end, when...something pacified them.

My pet theory is that the Shells were a means of controlling the sea people that the Formosans has, which is why they stopped attacking once the dude opened the chest and why the sea people attacked them; The wanted to seize their own leashes, so to speak.

That makes sense to me.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the thing that really gets me about the second mate's mutiny is that the poor old royal guy sacrificed his life to fend off the mermaids... but by the time he manages to open the chest, the only one left to save is the rear end in a top hat who started the whole mess, and he only lives long enough to bring the doom back to the ship before getting rightfully blasted in the face.

honestly if there's one complaint i have about this game it's that i was to know more. none of the characters are really more than sketches, but they're interesting sketches! i wanna know how the hell the first mate went from sorrowfully cradling that midshipman who got knifed in the back to trying to break down the captain's door! how much time passed between those two chapters? were he and the other two crewman just exceptionally greedy bastards who planned to sail the ship to riches with three men and no lifeboats? was everyone just driven insane by all the death and misery by that point?

you can make a lot of reasonable guesses, but the mystery isn't really concerned with motives

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Bold Robot posted:

I don't have it installed anymore and can't check, but doesn't he explicitly say where they're going in the first (chronologically) scene in the boats? Not that that clarifies much...

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

dmboogie posted:

honestly if there's one complaint i have about this game it's that i was to know more. none of the characters are really more than sketches, but they're interesting sketches! i wanna know how the hell the first mate went from sorrowfully cradling that midshipman who got knifed in the back to trying to break down the captain's door! how much time passed between those two chapters? were he and the other two crewman just exceptionally greedy bastards who planned to sail the ship to riches with three men and no lifeboats? was everyone just driven insane by all the death and misery by that point?

you can make a lot of reasonable guesses, but the mystery isn't really concerned with motives

Maybe they wanted to make sure the captain had actually tossed the shells and didn't believe him when he said he had? I definitely also wondered what went down between them and the captain, they seemed like good dudes beforehand.

Extortionist posted:

I don't have it installed anymore and can't check, but doesn't he explicitly say where they're going in the first (chronologically) scene in the boats? Not that that clarifies much...

This rings a bell yeah

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Maybe they wanted to make sure the captain had actually tossed the shells and didn't believe him when he said he had? I definitely also wondered what went down between them and the captain, they seemed like good dudes beforehand.
That was my guess as well. I'm curious about that sequence-of-murders scene as well. The midshipman overheard the gunner's mate talking with the Bosun and someone else about something he shouldn't hear, so the gunner's mate stabbed him? Then the fourth mate heard about it and mutiny plans, so he shot the gunner's mate. Brennan then clubbed the 4th mate because he knew about the mutiny plan? So the fourth mate and midshipman were murdered because they knew about the planned mutiny by Hoscutt/Brennan/GM. Therefore Hoscutt had already planned the mutany while comforting the Midshipman.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dominoes posted:

That was my guess as well. I'm curious about that sequence-of-murders scene as well. The midshipman overheard the gunner's mate talking with the Bosun and someone else about something he shouldn't hear, so the gunner's mate stabbed him? Then the fourth mate heard about it and mutiny plans, so he shot the gunner's mate. Brennan then clubbed the 4th mate because he knew about the mutiny plan? So the fourth mate and midshipman were murdered because they knew about the planned mutiny by Hoscutt/Brennan/GM. Therefore Hoscutt had already planned the mutany while comforting the Midshipman.

The Gunner’s Mate is talking with the Fourth Mate about his mutiny plan after the Bosun expires. The midshipman hears this, screams mutiny, and is knifed by the Gunner’s Mate - you can hear the Fourth Mate shouting at him to stop. Fourth Mate struggles with the Gunner’s Mate, and I think wrestles his gun away from him, shooting him in self defense in the struggle. Brennan comes down and clubs the Fourth Mate because holy poo poo, a man was screaming mutiny, a dude’s face just got blown off, and there’s a guy with a knife in his back. Unfortunately he didn’t give the Fourth Mate any time to explain himself.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I like your explanation, esp re: 4th mate's role. Of note, I think your explanation about Brennan's role isn't giving enough weight to the fact that he ultimately participated in the mutiny.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 26, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dominoes posted:

I like your explanation, esp re: 4th mate's role. Of note, I think your explanation about Brennan's role isn't giving enough weight to the fact that he ultimately participated in the mutiny.

True - it definitely establishes that Brennan is no stranger to violence, especially since he was the only one in the firing squad who actually hits his target. He also might have a tendency to rush headlong into things. I think it’s pretty safe to say that the first mate’s mutiny was entirely separate from what the Gunner’s Mate was planning, though - I don’t think Brennan had an ulterior motive to club the dude.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dmboogie posted:

True - it definitely establishes that Brennan is no stranger to violence, especially since he was the only one in the firing squad who actually hits his target. He also might have a tendency to rush headlong into things. I think it’s pretty safe to say that the first mate’s mutiny was entirely separate from what the Gunner’s Mate was planning, though - I don’t think Brennan had an ulterior motive to club the dude.

I dunno. It felt weird to me that the first mate and Brennan were roaming the ship at night, looking at the escape's aftermath at the same time the other would-be mutineers were discussing how the captain couldn't be trusted following said escape.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think he was trying to sail to one of the nearby islands or mainland Africa.
They do in fact mention they were aiming for the canary islands

Two post-endgame spoilery thoughts: it took me two days after finishing the game with the best ending to realize that the glint you see far behind the ship was from a shell. Personally I think it's from the mermaids that brought the Obra Dinn back to port.

Another thing that dawned on me much earlier is that the Memento Mortem pocketwatch is on board. The surgeon has it, naturally. I realized it when he was escaping because he was holding the case (which is also the moment I thought to re-check the preface of the book to see who had signed it), but you can see the case in the surgeon's room in other scenes too. And of course he already knew how it works, since he deliberately sacrificed his monkey to create a spawn point in a location he couldn't physically access. I wonder if there's any reason other than coincidence that at least two kinds of highly supernatural artefacts were on the ship from the get go, but that's probably left to imagination.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 26, 2018

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dmboogie posted:

the thing that really gets me about the second mate's mutiny is that the poor old royal guy sacrificed his life to fend off the mermaids... but by the time he manages to open the chest, the only one left to save is the rear end in a top hat who started the whole mess, and he only lives long enough to bring the doom back to the ship before getting rightfully blasted in the face.

He was also sacrificing his life to keep the shells out of the sea people's hands...which they now have. :tinfoil::krakken:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Occultatio posted:

They both work (unless maybe there are some fringe cases that only allow one of them). I've tried them in different playthroughs and both were accepted.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, there's a bunch of cases in which the game is pretty generous with the cause of death. In one occasion I used "strangled" and someone else apparently used "eaten" and both were accepted. That doesn't mean some of those are always equivalent, just that there are cases where they are.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

dmboogie posted:

I'm thinking that it's pretty likely that the first mate and Brennan were already committed to mutiny. The gunner's mate went from listening to the Bosun saying that it was unlikely that the kraken was gone for good into a firm plan for mutiny in the span of sentences, and was ready to kill to prevent word getting out. That leads me to think that he wasn't sounding the idea out, but actively trying to recruit. If he's trying to recruit, then that means it's entirely likely that there's already a plan going. It neatly explains why Brennan goes straight to murdering the mate who killed the gunner's mate, after all he just blew the head off of one of his allies.

Now for the reason I think that, which is good end specific: The captain didn't end the kraken attack, did he? It was the third(?) mate's bargain with the last surviving mermaid that did it, considering the word of it was followed. So the captain goes down there, makes a lot of noise, but crucially doesn't do the sort of thing that'd get the beast properly called off. The glowy shell disappears (Also, is there ever more than one of the Shell, it sounds like the idea of multiple shells is based on the cook incident where there pointedly isn't a glow, and the Formosans refer to it in the singular, correct?). The captain hasn't gotten rid of it. So the first mate is left with a captain who's saying it's over but hasn't done what is needed to end it. From that perspective isn't the captain a risk to the whole ship and crew? So if he's already committed, then yet another fight seems like a good reason to deal with it while there's still a few people left alive. I believe that all squares with The End and the dialog about the shells.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I believe there's a line explicitly saying there are 3 shells.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dominoes posted:

I believe there's a line explicitly saying there are 3 shells.

Check it out, this guy doesn't know about the three shells!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

one thing i wish the game had was the ability to view everything in chronological order after you beat it - it’d be dope to easily revisit every scene once you actually know who everyone is, especially to solidify motives and relationships. i know you can apparently reload your save to visit the ship again, but that’s still a lot of finicky walking, plus the timeline clusterfuck that is the the calling chapter

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

dmboogie posted:

one thing i wish the game had was the ability to view everything in chronological order after you beat it - it’d be dope to easily revisit every scene once you actually know who everyone is, especially to solidify motives and relationships. i know you can apparently reload your save to visit the ship again, but that’s still a lot of finicky walking, plus the timeline clusterfuck that is the the calling chapter

Agreed, this would be a cool feature - walking through the door could take you immediately to the next scene chronologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That was a real fun game.
And every time I see someone else play they discover alternate solutions that I missed.

The only thing that annoyed me is that there is no button to quickly leave a memory/teleport into one.

And that the cook needs an unusually exact cause of death. I tried every beast related cause before I caught on.
It was the last one I got, along with the guy in the port walk. Who is difficult in a extremely rewarding way.

e: does anybody know enough about ships to tell me what those walks on the orlop deck are even for?

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 26, 2018