Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Carbolic posted:

*makes monstrous braying noise*

I don't think I'll ever get those sounds out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Danish guy had it coming.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Those things are creepy as gently caress, credit where credit is due.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I started just playing this game. I was puzzling out a few early deaths but now that I understand the flow of the game, it seems like it would make sense to jot down the most obvious things but otherwise focus on seeing all memories asap so I have as many details as possible available. Anything I'm missing here?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nothing that wouldn't be spoilers. You're off to a good start.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

just keep in mind there's no time limit, you don't have to leave the ship until you're completely satisfied

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ultrachrist posted:

I started just playing this game. I was puzzling out a few early deaths but now that I understand the flow of the game, it seems like it would make sense to jot down the most obvious things but otherwise focus on seeing all memories asap so I have as many details as possible available. Anything I'm missing here?

I would recommend the opposite. Take it slow, take in as many details as you can in each memory.

Remember, people's faces get unblurred when the game knows you have enough details to know who they are, but you only get that piece of information once.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I feel stupid that it took me so long to realize that the pocketwatch isn't showing an actual time, but the chapter # as the hour hand and the part # as the minute hand

Like it's not a huge deal but it's a nice QOL thing to realize.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Poque posted:

I feel stupid that it took me so long to realize that the pocketwatch isn't showing an actual time, but the chapter # as the hour hand and the part # as the minute hand

Wha.......

Huh.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Poque posted:

in related news: the locked doors that open for you aren't just being videogamey, they open after you've seen them open in a death scene

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I agree that Soldiers of the Sea is the best track.

I also just got that last achievement. As far as I can tell, you have to correctly identify the captain to get it, but you don't have to lock in any of the fates where he really was responsible.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the pipe organ from the Unholy Captives tracks, those are probably my favorite.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Escape and a Bitter Cold are the ones I come back to most.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Soldiers of the Sea is great. But the ones I have on my playlist are the title theme and the credits theme.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Poque posted:

I love the pipe organ from the Unholy Captives tracks, those are probably my favorite.

It fits as well considering the silly manners in which the people die. The cook was a moron.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Just finished it. Was a bit annoyed at the graphics in the beginning but they grew on me in a huge way.

I would kill for a few more games in this style. The way everything unravels reminded me of The Terror.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I just finished this tonight and reading through the spoilers here it’s blowing my mind some of the clues I missed. What a game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Are there multiple possibilities for the Formosan guard being executed by firing squad? I didn't notice right away that one specific bullet was hitting him and tried to blame the Gunner for ordering the squad to fire, and also the Captain for ordering the Gunner to order the squad to fire. :v: Neither of those attempts took, but I also don't remember if I did them when I had two other known fates correct.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pretty sure there's only one right answer for that guy.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Yeah it's only the one choice

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This game is probably the second most fun I've ever had regarding 60 counts of unidentified seamen. I wish I would have known about it earlier!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
poque with that particular scene positioning is super key. walk around and keep your eyes on the action.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Coolguye posted:

poque with that particular scene positioning is super key. walk around and keep your eyes on the action.

No, I know, I just wasn't sure if the game would accept alternate liability for the death rather than the one specific bullet that hit him, i.e. the sentencer rather than the executioner.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
So, this game is on sale. As I've a very specific phobia of whales in general, I was wondering if this game has whales in it.

Yes it's Tobias Funke's never nude levels of esotericism, but there's a reason why I would not touch games like Subnautica.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

NarDmw posted:

So, this game is on sale. As I've a very specific phobia of whales in general, I was wondering if this game has whales in it.

Yes it's Tobias Funke's never nude levels of esotericism, but there's a reason why I would not touch games like Subnautica.

It contains other sea creatures traditionally considered more terrifying than whales, but no, no whales as such.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

NarDmw posted:

No whales, nor any similar/whale-like animals, e.g. "the giant fish shape in the water". It does however feature (spoiler for the first ten minutes or so of the game) a kraken, but otherwise no leviathan-sized anything.
Subnautica also doesn't have whales but I know you're likely referring to the large drifting football things.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

NarDmw posted:

This game signals to the player that the player is never in danger, and it sticks to that promise. You solve the mystery by moving through frozen memory dioramas - nothing will ever threaten you, or indeed move at all.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 5, 2019

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

NarDmw posted:

Closest thing to a whale in the game is probably the cow.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Obra Dinn should be fine for you.

But stay away from the Dishonored series.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I don't have much to add to discussions here, but I played through this game a few weekends ago and I adored every minute with the game. Absolutely loved the attention to detail and how everything clicks to make it a perfect detective game. Can't stop listening to the soundtrack even though it's only 25ish minutes long.

My significant other played it a few days before me and then watched my playthrough. She thought it was super neat watching me pick up on clues that she missed or when I was struggling putting together info that she found easy. It's too bad you can only truly experience the game once through, but I've been spreading the good word about the game to everyone I know.

NarDmw
Mar 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the whale alert guys. I'm going to pick this game up!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Radioactive Toy posted:

I don't have much to add to discussions here, but I played through this game a few weekends ago and I adored every minute with the game. Absolutely loved the attention to detail and how everything clicks to make it a perfect detective game. Can't stop listening to the soundtrack even though it's only 25ish minutes long.

My significant other played it a few days before me and then watched my playthrough. She thought it was super neat watching me pick up on clues that she missed or when I was struggling putting together info that she found easy. It's too bad you can only truly experience the game once through, but I've been spreading the good word about the game to everyone I know.

When I streamed this game to my community and had a fistful of people along for the ride I nearly died laughing when someone identified the purser after his very first appearance with the reasoning ”LOOK AT THOSE CLOTHES, I KNOW A loving NERD WHEN I SEE ONE”

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I picked this up on the steam sale, started in on Sunday and before I knew what happened, 8 hours had passed. Was a bit impatient to unlock the last chapter so left the boat as soon as possible and the doctor died of disappointment at my efforts. Whoops. Rewind.

Very engrossing and I love how dramatic the opening camera angles of the death scenes are.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cicadalek posted:

Check it out, this guy doesn't know about the three shells!

This should be the thread title.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

When I streamed this game to my community and had a fistful of people along for the ride I nearly died laughing when someone identified the purser after his very first appearance with the reasoning ”LOOK AT THOSE CLOTHES, I KNOW A loving NERD WHEN I SEE ONE”

clothes are important as hell, if you have a sharp eye you can immediately identify the bosun's mate

he's the only french guy on the ship and he's wearing one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marini%C3%A8re

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Now that I've finished the game I've gone through the spoilers in this thread and oh my god I missed so many clues.

The purser was one of the last I identified. I laughed aloud after I went through each of his bookmarked memories and in chapter six I was "uh where is he? Don't see him anywhere. Not in this memory either. Or in this on... oh, there you are, hiding in your office you little worm :)"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He was dressed close enough to the midshipman for me to confuse me for a while..

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
This game was amazing. It's been a long time since I've been engaged by a game like this. I need more.

Re the carpenters: I immediately identified them from their first scene, given the American accents, the axe throwing, and the fact that the mate was protecting his boss. RIP badass American heroes.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Coolguye posted:

Hahahah my reaction to that was exactly the same, and later working out my snap judgement was spot on was very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

luxury handset posted:

clothes are important as hell, if you have a sharp eye you can immediately identify the bosun's mate

he's the only french guy on the ship and he's wearing one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marini%C3%A8re

yeah one of my viewers identified this straight away because her father was an actual bosun from quebec back in the 70s and the deckhands on his ship gave him one of those at one point