Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think I just had a minor revelation that various aspects of the game appear to be randomized, and not just the protagonist's gender. Spoilers for mid-game scenes and plot-important items:

In the scene where a character is murdered in the dead of night in the cargo hold, you can see into the passenger cargo. In my first playthrough, I noticed that inside was a large, ominous chest standing open with a gleaming conch shell in its drawer. But when I played through again in a different slot, the shell was not there, and the drawers were all shut.

Similarly, a scene later on, on the open water, depicts some rowboats being attacked. One of the attackers had a similar shell in their hair (or maybe strapped to them?), but on my second playthrough, they wore no such shell.

For some reason it's really sent me reeling, and I'm wondering what else might be changed. It's not a completely insignificant detail, either. I haven't seen anyone mention anything about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

tonberrytoby posted:

I checked both of my save games, and two random youtubers. And in all cases there was only the first variant.
Could someone else check?
And can you post a screenshot?
Behind links for the sake of spoilers:

From the chapter "Murder"
From the chapter "The Calling"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Daedalus1134 posted:

For what it's worth, I have no memory of seeing the shells before the endgame content. I played through the whole game on release day. I just went back and looked at my backup save file before I solved the final couple of people, and they are there now. I am 95% sure I would have noticed them, especially the one in Murder.

Similar pictures to above from my double check just now.

From the chapter "Murder" with object
From the chapter "The Calling" with object
The screenshots I just took were from my completed save game (had to rewind to take them). So it's not completing the game that changes it, anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Really Pants posted:

Just as long as you don't look at a dude covered in flames and go "I think he was shot or maybe it's illness????" poo poo's bad for my blood pressure.
As long as we're airing gripes about how other people choose to play a singleplayer game: Out of curiosity I skimmed some LPs and I'm like five for five on people apparently not registering that the loud, obvious, scene-headlining shout of "Martin" is in fact a person's name.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Selane posted:

For me, my most shameful failure was not figuring out the helmsman until relatively late in the game. He literally has his hand on the helm in the drat drawing, I don't know how I missed that for so long.
He's one of only two people you can ID (meaning face unblurred) before ever even using the stopwatch once.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's never blurred because it's never on the sketch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CJ posted:

I just played through this. Identifying the first third or so of the crew was really cool, but i didn't like that a lot of it came down to guesswork towards the end. Unless i missed a mechanic i don't think you could complete the book without the voice of truth telling you every time you got 3 right. Also didn't like that you couldn't quickly replay memories that you already had from the book. it got really tedious having to go to where the body was when i wanted to check something.
O'Hagan you can get because the other two present are Russians, as established from the scene where they're playing cards in A Bitter Cold.
The "can you still row" part was because the person asking was distracted and didn't notice O'Hagan had been killed, thus the lack of response.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Occultatio posted:

Also, re: recent discussion: does the interaction of shell + weird liquid ("mercury") in The Calling line up precisely with the interaction in The Bargain? I know fire was involved both times, but I don't remember whether the proximate causes were that closely the same.
I actually got the impression from the timing that Dahl taking the shell out of the "quicksilver" is what makes everything go bad after the first wave of treachery-murders, mutiny, and death-by-mermaid.

Once It-Beng Sia doused it and stunned all the mermaids, things calm down a lot. Some still die in the next chapter because they're not careful enough about the mermaids, so they get spiked without knowing that's possible and then the cook gets himself and another guy killed. Dahl gets thrown in the lazarette at the end of Unholy Captives, and I assume that despite the order of The Bargain, he finds the shell almost immediately after and probably burns to death there, as a result. But by messing with the shell and taking it out of its magic-dampening quicksilver or whatever, he's done the equivalent of putting on The One Ring. Dahl has now more or less opened a beacon that lets all the sea's wrath know where the mermaids are, where the treasure is, and where the Obra Dinn has gone.

In my mind the timeline syncs up such that The Bargain overlaps several chapters: The Soldiers of the Sea emerge shortly after Dahl dies, and then the Kraken right after them, and the captain is murdering mermaids during The Doom which is why he's nowhere to be found in those scenes. Only on fully getting rid of the shell via Martin's bargain does the (supernatural) madness end. So, basically, Dahl's greedy curiosity (right after warning about a curse, mind you) is what truly sealed the already-ominous fate of the Obra Dinn.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 18, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Really Pants posted:

The Bargain takes place after Soldiers of the Sea and The Doom, though.
In the book, yes. But I really doubt that Dahl spent the entire crab attack and kraken storm twiddling his thumbs only to eventually open the box and go "oooh, what's this!" Hell, his memory even opens with what sounds like him being thrown into the hold and locked in, like it just happened.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

double nine posted:

warriors of the c is addictive. Every once in a while I just feel an urge to listen to it for a small while.
Warriors of the Sea is absolutely the best chapter theme song and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise, preferably using a large spear made of coral.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

NarDmw posted:

So, this game is on sale. As I've a very specific phobia of whales in general, I was wondering if this game has whales in it.

Yes it's Tobias Funke's never nude levels of esotericism, but there's a reason why I would not touch games like Subnautica.
No whales, nor any similar/whale-like animals, e.g. "the giant fish shape in the water". It does however feature (spoiler for the first ten minutes or so of the game) a kraken, but otherwise no leviathan-sized anything.
Subnautica also doesn't have whales but I know you're likely referring to the large drifting football things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pick posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GadL-6wpp3U

There's a soft claw snapping sound at the beginning.
Absolutely the best track in the game, but there's stiff competition.