Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Ignore that dude who rowed you here, you can (and should) take all the time you want.

It’s fun in the short term to open as many scenes as possible, but more rewarding in the long term to explore each scene thoroughly. Where is everyone in the scene and what are they doing? The game is full of well-crafted details and it’s worth your while to examine them.

You can brute-guess a lot of solutions, but you never need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Would I be correct in noting that "Loose Cargo" and "A Bitter Cold" are unrelated to later events? I mean, they're relevant in that people died and the overall goal is to figure out everyone's death -- but in terms of the sequence of events of parts III-X, they're unrelated. That storyline only kicks off with Nichols' theft of the shells.

Or are there events in I-II that foreshadow or set up the shells storyline?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

In a way, Return of the Obra Dinn threw me because I'm not used to details mattering in games. Even, all too often, in adventure games.

Like, moon logic puzzles, I'm used to those. And I'm pretty good at wrapping my brain around that subset of logic we call "adventure game logic". After a few decades you get a sense for what that feels like. But I'm less accustomed to games where there are, you know, a lot of details, and these details are well-placed and internally consistent and you can rely on them to solve mysteries and advance in the game.

Basically there were a lot of times in this game when I neglected to look at things and think about them because (in retrospect) my jaded gamer instincts had assumed those efforts wouldn't be rewarded. And if I could go back, I'd reassure my younger self that in this game, they are.