Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I've visited what I think are all of the death sites other than the inaccessible chapter and it has started raining and the boatman is trying to hustle me to leave, but I only have 21 deaths fully confirmed. Am I correct in assuming that getting back on the boat would be an endgame and therefore I should stay and keep working at this? There's definitely additional work I could do, I have just been taking it scene-by-scene so far and haven't done more than a handful of rewatches etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm at 56 fates solved and have a question about whether it is time to leave the boat or not, any spoiler-free advice would be appreciated if possible (heavy spoilers follow of course):
There are four fates left, two of which I'm sure can't be solved until I get off the boat: Martin Nichols the 3rd mate, and Filip Dahl the Captain's steward. Neither of these dudes have any fate shown so far as far as I can tell, so I must learn during the Bargain.

The other two seem solved to me, but I haven't gotten any confirmation:
Zungi Sathi, the ship's steward, was shown in Soldiers of the Sea 7 dying of spikes shot by a terrible beast after spending a few scenes crawling away into the port walk. Not sure what else I could do here, but no confirmation.
Aleksei Toporov, one of the Russians, was shown falling off of a boat during the Calling, so I've got him down as drowned by a terrible beast, which has worked for other characters who drowned during various beast attacks even if not directly pulled under. But again, no confirmation.

So... is it time to get off the boat?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Really Pants posted:

This one's wrong.

Aha! Thanks, a closer look helped.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Hell of a game, amazing puzzle. Very glad I picked this up.

The one thing I am still unclear on is what was the 2nd mate's plan? After the mutiny, where was going with the Formosans and their chest? Am I right that the shells were in the chest all along and opening it out at sea caused the initial attack by the mermaids?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Occultatio posted:

I have a question about proper labeling of fates.

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

I used the latter and completed all fates. I did not use the former at all.

Unlucky7 posted:

I think he was trying to sail to one of the nearby islands or mainland Africa. And I think the chest was not opened until the end, when...something pacified them.

My pet theory is that the Shells were a means of controlling the sea people that the Formosans has, which is why they stopped attacking once the dude opened the chest and why the sea people attacked them; The wanted to seize their own leashes, so to speak.

That makes sense to me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

dmboogie posted:

honestly if there's one complaint i have about this game it's that i was to know more. none of the characters are really more than sketches, but they're interesting sketches! i wanna know how the hell the first mate went from sorrowfully cradling that midshipman who got knifed in the back to trying to break down the captain's door! how much time passed between those two chapters? were he and the other two crewman just exceptionally greedy bastards who planned to sail the ship to riches with three men and no lifeboats? was everyone just driven insane by all the death and misery by that point?

you can make a lot of reasonable guesses, but the mystery isn't really concerned with motives

Maybe they wanted to make sure the captain had actually tossed the shells and didn't believe him when he said he had? I definitely also wondered what went down between them and the captain, they seemed like good dudes beforehand.

Extortionist posted:

I don't have it installed anymore and can't check, but doesn't he explicitly say where they're going in the first (chronologically) scene in the boats? Not that that clarifies much...

This rings a bell yeah

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

dmboogie posted:

one thing i wish the game had was the ability to view everything in chronological order after you beat it - it’d be dope to easily revisit every scene once you actually know who everyone is, especially to solidify motives and relationships. i know you can apparently reload your save to visit the ship again, but that’s still a lot of finicky walking, plus the timeline clusterfuck that is the the calling chapter

Agreed, this would be a cool feature - walking through the door could take you immediately to the next scene chronologically.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I found that one difficult too, he’s (barely a spoiler) the only one who dies that way.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Occultatio posted:

Also, what specific clue did I miss that let you distinguish between the carpenter and his mate?

The carpenter’s mate was one of the last I got. The carpenter is shown in the carpenter’s area fairly often and you hear him speak in an American accent once or twice, so I didn’t have too much trouble with him. But somehow I got the impression that the other black guy who isn’t Hamadou is the mate - I think maybe he is shown in the carpenter’s area once or twice or otherwise shown hanging out with the carpenter? Not until the very end did I realize that was wrong. There’s a scene in Soldiers of the Sea where the mate gets spiked and the carpenter is there and he calls the carpenter “boss” that eventually cleared it up for me.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Rookersh posted:

So I'm stuck. Two left, I know them for certain, but uh.

I have technically 4 left. Third Mate, 2nd Mates Steward, Ship Steward, and Captain's Steward.

Third Mate and Captain's Steward I know exactly who they are. Captain's Steward was brought to the Lazarette and I can't see him at all, so I assume he's Epilogue.

Third Mate doesn't have a death, and I can't do anything with him. Again I assume Epilogue.

So it's 2nd Mates Steward and Ship Steward.

I assume 2nd Mates Steward went along on the Calling. I see his death. He's been stabbed in the neck by Sia, then thrown overboard. I have put stabbed and drowned by Sia, no dice.

Ok then, so my other person is Ship Steward. Only other person on the ship it could be is the guy who got spiked in a hallway. So I attached that to him. No dice.

I've swapped them just in case. Fiddled with potential deaths ( maybe he got speared by the beast! maybe he got speared by Sia! ), and no dice.

Am I just not able to get these two, and need to go back on the boat? If so this isn't telegraphed at all.

For the 2nd Mate’s Steward, knifed by Sia should work unless I’m totally misremembering. It’s possible you have that right but need the other one to get the confirmation.

For the Ship’s Steward, go take another look at his death. He was one of my last guys too.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1234567890num posted:

I completed all fates and the only clawed I put was the one for Chapter 4. A rule of thumb that works for me is that (spoilers for events but not deduction here) spiked is only if somebody died because of a monster's body part, so only the spiders cause it. I put the projectile-based deaths as speared.

That’s funny, I used the exact opposite and it worked for me in terms of spiked vs. speared. I used spiked when someone was shot by a projectile from a beast, and speared when it was part of their body. The latter is much rarer from what I remember. I used decapitated for the two dudes who die in the same scene to one of the soldiers of the sea that is shown pinning them by their necks.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Joda posted:

Just popping in to say I loving love this game, it's possibly my favourite game since The Witcher 3, and might even surpass it. It is everything I've been calling for every time I rage quit the hand holding sims that pass for murder mystery games.

I assume I'm not the only one who uses the third in a set to confirm some uncertain guesses? Like, when I have someone down to three people or less I'll spam through them until the cutscene triggers. I kinda feel guilty about it, but it's not like I'm cheating. Not sure if that counts as a spoiler BTW

I dunno about spamming or brute forcing it, but yeah I think almost everyone must rely on at least a little bit of trial and error. I’m sure it’s possible to beat the game without trial and error but there are a few clusters of dudes where it would be very difficult: most notably the Chinese topmen, but also the Russians, some of the more obscure seamen, and maybe the Indian guys if you never pick up on the hammock thing.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Kinda stuck now. I feel like I've ran out of new bodies to find and I've combed the whole ship. Are there any really tricky locations I can get a hint towards

More info would be helpful here - how many fates do you have solved? Is there anyone in particular you are struggling with (could just give a vague description even)? Have you filled out every chapter?

Note that (barely a spoiler) at a certain point you will have seen every death you can and it becomes more about rewatching to pick up details you missed and making deductions.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 7, 2018

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Looking closer it seems I've found all the bodies, I just need to put the clues together. Thanks anyway!

A few hints that I have tried to keep vague and as light as possible on spoilers:

The front parts of the book, especially the pictures, give you a lot of useful information. Notice what people are wearing and who is standing where.

Before poo poo really hits the fan, there are a couple scenes where people are mostly hanging out in their bunks, playing cards, etc. These scenes are more useful than they appear at first glance, both because you can see who is interacting with who, and because of an important visual clue.

During the Doom, make sure to pay attention to what is happening both on and off the boat.

Don’t forget the little difficulty indicators that the game gives you for how hard someone is to figure out. They’re not thaaat useful, but can be a decent guide to who is the low-hanging fruit.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1234567890num posted:

My last one is Hamadou Diom. For most of the game I thought the guy is one of the Chinese topmen for some reason.

Same, though he wasn’t the last one for me. Took way too long to realize that guy wasn’t a Chinese topman.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Selane posted:

For me, my most shameful failure was not figuring out the helmsman until relatively late in the game. He literally has his hand on the helm in the drat drawing, I don't know how I missed that for so long.

Same, when I finally got that one I felt like a doofus.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Walton Simons posted:

I outright had to Google:
Who the hell Hamadou Dion was, and thus two other seaman. For some reason, in the sketch he didn't register as black at all. I was obsessed with the other black seaman (who ends up escaping), thinking he's the only black seaman so it's got to be him.

Yeah this guy was (unintentionally?) tough, I thought he was one of the Chinese guys for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Quandary posted:

By far my proudest moment was after I had narrowed down all the chinese topmen except 2 the ones who are on each side of the mast in the picture, I could distinguish between them because one was fat and one was skinny. They were both in numbered bunks in a bitter cold, and one bunk dipped noticably lower than the other due to the extra weight. What an insane attention to detail

This is real good, I did not notice this. :golfclap: