Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Flac posted:

the gameplay is so great at getting you to catch details about people and i really admire that part of this game. thomas's guilt over the deaths of his fellow midshipmen, the chinese intrepreters' (probably speaking cantonese) barely translating the formosans that have their own dialect, that characters like lewis walker can be identified as topmen early just from noticing how climby they are... the ways relationships between individuals, as well as their roles and circumstances within the world they inhabit, are intuited by the player with hardly any neon signposting is such great storytelling to me. wish there was more mechanics based on abstract thought like this in games, though i get how difficult to do it is.

feel like the bargain reveal is a real waste of potential though, esp with henry evans's character because its just never expounded upon how he knows about the watch, or his plan with the book? going back and looking at memories, i noticed he was like, really COMICALLY bad about preventing death as the loving doctor--the indians with the tuberculosis were one thing, but leaving john naples's leg where it was and him dying immediately after he's like "oh you're good lol", and then being all "i got you" while trying to help the butcher when hes got 3 spikes in him. i'm starting to think he was intentionally helping certain people die, possibly to leave a trail for the book? his attitude towards death has me thinking this way, but its frustrating because there's nothing else to go on. i'm less mad that the watch is unexplained and more that his motivations are not clear.

also i don't how to feel about george shirley not being a disappearance when his body cannot be found? the rule has been that bodies being found for the watch to pick up get a page in the book, and i don't see why he should be an exception.

For your middle spoiler there, medical technology was crude then, and I got the feeling H.E. was just lying to John for the benefit of morale. John died of shock there, so there really wasn't much H.E. could do except keep the others from panicking.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
It is a literal magic book. It inks in itself after you pencil in the right answers, works according to a ritual rule of three intertwined fates, literally unblurrs faces as the correct circumstances are satisfied, and was sent to you by a weird old guy that also gave you a magic watch.

If you have to ask "why didn't H.E. do this or that with the book" the answer is it's magic, and magicians don't have to explain poo poo!