Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Just finished. Definitely feel like I "cheated" by doing a lot of educated guesswork but still felt detective-y enough that I'd say I beat the game properly. Like someone else mentioned, the Life at Sea sketch gives tons of information, more than enough for you to start winnowing down possibilities without necessarily knowing precise details. What also helped me a fair bit was realizing that in the dialogue transcripts, an X is next to any lines spoken by the person who's death you're investigating.

And lol at people worrying about fudging the reports so peoples' families don't get charged. You're working for the East India Company, the OG evil corporation. They'll probably charge the families' anyway for the hell of it.

Not quite the absolute masterclass in game and narrative design that Papers, Please was but still heads and tails above other indie games. Really hope Pope continues to make amazing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bold Robot posted:

Aleksei Toporov, one of the Russians, was shown falling off of a boat during the Calling, so I've got him down as drowned by a terrible beast, which has worked for other characters who drowned during various beast attacks even if not directly pulled under. But again, no confirmation.[/spoiler]

So... is it time to get off the boat?

The phrasing "fell overboard" worked for me on this one.

You will also be told very specifically when there is nothing left to discover on the Obra Dinn.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah if once you had collected all the non-Ch. 8 scenes you could just freely pinball between them using the notebook, that'd be great.