Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finished the game last night. It was really good, although near the end it becomes less about working out what happened and more about solving which minor seaman is which based on personal effects, shoes, and bunk numbers, which is still fun but is less dramatic.

tonberrytoby posted:

e: does anybody know enough about ships to tell me what those walks on the orlop deck are even for?

Lucas Pope posted:

It's typically called a "carpenter's walk." For some reason I can't find any references on Google but Ecky's pic does show it. It's designed to allow access to the ship hull for repairs while at sea. If you're firing canons at an enemy ship, you want to hit just below the waterline to flood the ship and sink it, so the walk is a countermeasure against that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

dmboogie posted:

the single difficulty triangle that really threw me off was the guy that got his leg cut off. was that another bunk number trick?

Is that the one Where the doctor says that he's seen worse? From memory his name is mentioned in the dialog

That one took me aaaaaages to get right because I assumed it was linked directly to the previous scene, instead of there being a scene missing where the dismemberment happened and that that was what the steward was being lead away for.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DTaeKim posted:

My wife and I loved playing through and piecing this game's mystery together. Are there any other games that play similarly to this one?

Mark Brown's video on detective games is really interesting and has a few recommendations.

Her Story doesn't play like Obra Dinn mechanically but it does have the same feel where you are given a lot of freedom to piece together clues without any real hand-holding. You are given a series of videos taken from interviews with a witness in a murder case, and have to work out what happened and why. All you can do is find new videos based on keyword searches.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Tattoo guy I'm assuming he's the Bosun's Mate, what with the conversation you hear around the Mutiny bit. "What happened to my Frenchmen." "He got ripped in half by the Squid.". But that's not taking either.
To follow up on this, here's a vague hint re the Bosun's Mate.

Keep an eye on the Bosun during The Doom, and see if you can work out when he gets mortally wounded.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Good game. Literally my only complaint is the Chinese are a mess to figure out. Every other group made sense, but I never got their trigger.
But the Chinese I basically just bruteforced. I couldn't see any of them near/around the tagging. None of them ever say their names. They all have the same job. I felt like I missed something here.

It feels like you missed the feet / personal effects in / near the hammocks, given it's how you work out which Russian seaman is which (one has a pipe).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

jjac posted:

I beat the game this weekend and it's quite the experience, I'm not quite as observant though and more than once I had to brute force the names of certain clusters of people.

Is there a reason to why one of the hammocks is labeled with an X?

Re spoiler: to limit the information you get I assume.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Kinda stuck now. I feel like I've ran out of new bodies to find and I've combed the whole ship. Are there any really tricky locations I can get a hint towards

I think each chapter lists a body to start with?

Which chapters are you missing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Samovar posted:

Just started this as a Xmas present, and the teist was very pleasant to experience blind. But just curious - at no point do you need to flat out guess who's portrait corresponds to which person, aye?

You make a lot of safe, Ockham's Razor-style assumptions though but you never need to make wild guesses.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Not sure about Gul.

Don't you see his unusual weapon by his hammock at some point?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hempuli posted:

To me the blur didn't seem like something I'd use as an actual clue for identification because my expectation was that it was supposed to be an indicator of "technically you now have the bare minimum of info to make this inference" and I knew I wouldn't be able to do that.

Yeah I didn't use it much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The fact that Midshipmen were teenagers is another useful bit of trivia that lets you work some things out quicker than you otherwise could.