Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
the gameplay is so great at getting you to catch details about people and i really admire that part of this game. thomas's guilt over the deaths of his fellow midshipmen, the chinese intrepreters' (probably speaking cantonese) barely translating the formosans that have their own dialect, that characters like lewis walker can be identified as topmen early just from noticing how climby they are... the ways relationships between individuals, as well as their roles and circumstances within the world they inhabit, are intuited by the player with hardly any neon signposting is such great storytelling to me. wish there was more mechanics based on abstract thought like this in games, though i get how difficult to do it is.

feel like the bargain reveal is a real waste of potential though, esp with henry evans's character because its just never expounded upon how he knows about the watch, or his plan with the book? going back and looking at memories, i noticed he was like, really COMICALLY bad about preventing death as the loving doctor--the indians with the tuberculosis were one thing, but leaving john naples's leg where it was and him dying immediately after he's like "oh you're good lol", and then being all "i got you" while trying to help the butcher when hes got 3 spikes in him. i'm starting to think he was intentionally helping certain people die, possibly to leave a trail for the book? his attitude towards death has me thinking this way, but its frustrating because there's nothing else to go on. i'm less mad that the watch is unexplained and more that his motivations are not clear.

also i don't how to feel about george shirley not being a disappearance when his body cannot be found? the rule has been that bodies being found for the watch to pick up get a page in the book, and i don't see why he should be an exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Chev posted:

Regarding your last item, I think the implication is that the actual rule is whether you died on the ship or not, not whether the body can be found on the ship. Do note that going by that rule the boats count as part of the ship.

I don't think it's based on that considering I listed the bosun's mate as torn apart, going off the 4th mate's testimony. And George can be listed as drowned OR shot as one of the "on boat" deaths, yet his body isn't on the boat. Kind of a gray area, granted, but when we can't intuit what happens to them from just by looking at their last memory, the question of "can we find the body?" allows for more ambiguity past the "did they fall overboard or escape to Africa" trap that the on/off boat distinction implies.

Chev posted:

Yeah, I felt that was the obvious reason too, especially since they really had no idea where the leg was which is why you find it eventually.

Then why are the locations of bodies that kick off chapters typeset into the book and circled for emphasis from the start, including John's leg (and who says he couldn't have gone looking for it afterward)? Tallon might be right about him not necessarily killing anybody for the stopwatch, but why is that information prepared for you in the book?

....is what I want to say but there's many more questions than answers this line of thought brings, mainly for how he could have known about certain bodies (the stowaway, the guy hanging by the 1st mates window, ESPECIALLY all the ones in Ch 10 when he was long gone). It's frustrating cus it's probably just a piece of game design and nothing else, but I'm stubbornly wishing it actually implies something. The monkey killing is such a horrible tease; that there's nothing to reasonably infer about Evans's relationship to the pocketwatch in light of that, in a game where reasonable inference is the whole point, it kinda sucks.

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 6, 2019