Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yeah, I think he was also one of the very, very last people I ID'd, too.

Also, tip --

https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1052971831655727104

Yeah, I got that in my second profile. I thought that maybe it would also change the ending a bit like maybe my fem-detective had a different personal space in the ending scenes but I guess not then.

A second playthrough is worth it imho, even if you got all the identities right in the first one -- but didn't actually do the full investigation work that the game would prefer you to do.

Which is to say, that you can use the game's validation of 3 fates to your advantage, so if you have two definitely correct fates you can "match" them with a unsure one and trial and error a bit with the identities (especially if you have narrowed it down to only a few candidates). But, so far in my second playthrough it looks like the game does give you the extra hints to figure out everything properly without resorting to chance.

It does help to try and identify people as soon as they become unblurred, or at least try to guess at why they are now unblurred (for the three or two triangles difficulty rating cases), because usually this indicates that there are new data or hints you missed about those.

I'm still not really sure about why the tattooed guy that gets torn apart is unblurred so early in the game, but not right from the start or at least from the first memory he is introduced. I thought it was because you can assume his origin/nationality from the fact that he is covered in tattoos, but perhaps it is something else I missed?. In my first playthrough I was only comfortable identifying him quite later in the game, where you get an additional clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bold Robot posted:

Am I correct in assuming that getting back on the boat would be an endgame and therefore I should stay and keep working at this? There's definitely additional work I could do, I have just been taking it scene-by-scene so far and haven't done more than a handful of rewatches etc.

That is correct. You can get back on the boat and only stay a bit, the boatman will give you the option to go back -- but it you stay long enough looking at him the screen will start doing that "that's all folks" fade out and you'll leave the ship with the boat.

Basically, you can ignore the rain and the boatman won't keep bothering you.

I'm not entirely sure what happens with a partial final report score. I've read that there are small variations on the finale, I should make note to try that.

Another technical thing that is relevant is that after you finish the game you get the option to "rewind" and go back to the ship -- so it's not really a "point of no return"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chev posted:

However, doing that will make the game give you huge hints for a couple fates you may find much more rewarding to work out by yourself (and definitely have the means to), although I guess that depends on the kind of player you are.

Yeah, I guess you mean the people who made it out alive.

I still appreciate the option to go back to the ship will all the memories available.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

GraveVideos posted:

I discovered yesterday that when you're in the memory scene and hold the right mouse button when looking at a crew member - the game will overlay his/her face with the corresponding person in the crew picture. You can also just hit the journal shortcut when holding the right mouse button to dirctly jump to the person. Was this explained in some tutorial? because I only found this by accident.

This was the shortcut I used the most during my playthrough. It's a very convenient way to go from person in the scene to their "who is this and how did they die" form with minimum clicks/key strokes.
I think there is a tutorial that mentions zooming on a person to see their picture in the book sketches, but trying the tab button on top of that (ie accessing the book) is maybe not mentioned there.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Occultatio posted:

I have a question about proper labeling of fates.

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

They both work (unless maybe there are some fringe cases that only allow one of them). I've tried them in different playthroughs and both were accepted.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Elendil004 posted:

How are you supposed to get alive, in Africa? I got it by trial and error for the 4 in the boat, but I tried all the islands nearby first. What's the clue?

My assumption was that since the doctor was on the boat, and his preface told us to return the book to Morocco (Africa), then the rest of the people on the boat ended up in Africa too.
That might have been a logic leap, but it worked, so whatever :)

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sockser posted:

Decided that knowing when portraits get unblurred would be a big help
Yeah, that's a pretty good and subtle hint system that I didn't really appreciate its usefulness as much as I could have in my first play through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
You already know this, but the triangles indicating how difficult it would be to deduct one's identity are an additional thing to keep in mind.