Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I went from "There's no way I'm going to work out any character who isn't explicitly named" to 24 fates locked in. I'm struggling to think of a more satisfying mystery game to solve.

There are still a bunch that I have no idea where to even start with, but I'm in no rush. I just hope I don't hit a wall and cheat to the end like I did with The Witness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

GraveVideos posted:

I discovered yesterday that when you're in the memory scene and hold the right mouse button when looking at a crew member - the game will overlay his/her face with the corresponding person in the crew picture. You can also just hit the journal shortcut when holding the right mouse button to dirctly jump to the person. Was this explained in some tutorial? because I only found this by accident.

I found it by accident and I've found it to be ridiculously useful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phenotype posted:

Am I solving murders or documenting the ship for the insurance payout?

The latter. Some murders are solved but that's a happy byproduct.

What you've described is the gameplay, but it doesn't really do it justice. The game is one huge logic puzzle so if that's not your thing then feel free to give it a miss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really Pants posted:

If your report implicates anyone in a killing, even an accidental or justifiable one, then the Company will fine their family . Maybe you decide you don't want that happening to someone, so you fudge your report to say their victim or victims had a different killer or a different cause of death.

Should probably spoiler this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Begemot posted:

One has a wedding ring, the other doesn't. There are only three (English) women on the ship, and you've already identified one by that point, so....

Uuuuuuuugh.

Those and the Chinese topmen were the only ones that I just got by trying it both ways. I thought it was odd that one was specifically titled 'Miss' when no one else was given a title - but that didn't click at all.

Anyway, that was great. I'm convinced that Brennan was a murderous, mutinous bastard from the word start. Just look at the slimy prick.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

skeleton warrior posted:

There’s actually a much easier way.

The mutineers leave in the early part of Scene 9. Also in Scene 9, Oleg the assistant gunner is talking of stealing the boats and the treasure and heading due east, which implies he’s tied in with those stealing the boats; the only thing due east is Africa, so that must be where they went.

The ones that leave aren't mutineers though, they're mostly passengers getting the hell out of there. You know they're (almost definitely) in Africa because that's where the surgeon tells you to send the book.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unkempt posted:

I must be the densest bastard on the planet because I'm getting nowhere with this. I've got the first three fates and now I've got two guys I should apparently be able to identify. One is the tattooed guy from The Doom part 7 who gets torn up by the kraken - later on someone tells the bosun that his mate gets torn apart so I thought Bosun's Mate, but apparently not? He doesn't really look like a bosun's mate, not that I know what one of those looks like.. But the one that's really bothering me is the one before that from Doom part 6 because he's only in two memories, one where he's getting blown the gently caress up by a keg of gunpowder and doesn't say anything and the one directly before that where he's just... running up the stairs? I have no idea how I'm supposed to get it from that. What am I missing there?

If you haven't already, there's nothing wrong with finding all the memories before you really start trying to pin down fates. There's no reason to kill yourself trying to work out the ones you have available when you might not have all the information to solve it (having their face clear means there's technically enough information to work it out, but that doesn't mean you will without a shitload of other information to help).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder why Henry Evans didn't just fill the book in himself? He would've known most (if not all) of the identities and fates just from his time on the boat - at least up until chapter 9. And he had the pocketwatch and monkey hand so he could've easily looked into chapter 8 from the comfort of his home.

The least the old bastard could've done was annotated the sketches with everyone's names. :arghfist:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Yep. His name is mentioned in the dialogue - 'Been through worse than this, eh, John?' or something like that, then - 'Where's the rest of his leg?' Took me a bit, too.

This took me forever because I thought it was the captain talking to the fourth mate. The fact that there's a second John just didn't occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Mark Brown's video on detective games is really interesting and has a few recommendations.

Her Story doesn't play like Obra Dinn mechanically but it does have the same feel where you are given a lot of freedom to piece together clues without any real hand-holding. You are given a series of videos taken from interviews with a witness in a murder case, and have to work out what happened and why. All you can do is find new videos based on keyword searches.

Or you can accidentally fluke a keyword that triggers the ending within a couple of minutes. :negative: