Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

man this game owns

managed to figure everything out on my own, but had to resort to guesswork for the Chinese topmen and a few of the seamen, especially since i never actually found the bunk tags. I assume that's the key to non-cheaply identifying them?

i think my single biggest breakthrough was figuring out how much information the Justice at Sea sketch gives you - all the stewards wear the same uniform, the gunner's mate is standing right to the gunner, the 4th mate's steward is standing right next to him, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Occultatio posted:

I have a question about proper labeling of fates.

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

the first one might work but the second definitely will

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the thing that really gets me about the second mate's mutiny is that the poor old royal guy sacrificed his life to fend off the mermaids... but by the time he manages to open the chest, the only one left to save is the rear end in a top hat who started the whole mess, and he only lives long enough to bring the doom back to the ship before getting rightfully blasted in the face.

honestly if there's one complaint i have about this game it's that i was to know more. none of the characters are really more than sketches, but they're interesting sketches! i wanna know how the hell the first mate went from sorrowfully cradling that midshipman who got knifed in the back to trying to break down the captain's door! how much time passed between those two chapters? were he and the other two crewman just exceptionally greedy bastards who planned to sail the ship to riches with three men and no lifeboats? was everyone just driven insane by all the death and misery by that point?

you can make a lot of reasonable guesses, but the mystery isn't really concerned with motives

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dominoes posted:

That was my guess as well. I'm curious about that sequence-of-murders scene as well. The midshipman overheard the gunner's mate talking with the Bosun and someone else about something he shouldn't hear, so the gunner's mate stabbed him? Then the fourth mate heard about it and mutiny plans, so he shot the gunner's mate. Brennan then clubbed the 4th mate because he knew about the mutiny plan? So the fourth mate and midshipman were murdered because they knew about the planned mutiny by Hoscutt/Brennan/GM. Therefore Hoscutt had already planned the mutany while comforting the Midshipman.

The Gunner’s Mate is talking with the Fourth Mate about his mutiny plan after the Bosun expires. The midshipman hears this, screams mutiny, and is knifed by the Gunner’s Mate - you can hear the Fourth Mate shouting at him to stop. Fourth Mate struggles with the Gunner’s Mate, and I think wrestles his gun away from him, shooting him in self defense in the struggle. Brennan comes down and clubs the Fourth Mate because holy poo poo, a man was screaming mutiny, a dude’s face just got blown off, and there’s a guy with a knife in his back. Unfortunately he didn’t give the Fourth Mate any time to explain himself.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dominoes posted:

I like your explanation, esp re: 4th mate's role. Of note, I think your explanation about Brennan's role isn't giving enough weight to the fact that he ultimately participated in the mutiny.

True - it definitely establishes that Brennan is no stranger to violence, especially since he was the only one in the firing squad who actually hits his target. He also might have a tendency to rush headlong into things. I think it’s pretty safe to say that the first mate’s mutiny was entirely separate from what the Gunner’s Mate was planning, though - I don’t think Brennan had an ulterior motive to club the dude.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

one thing i wish the game had was the ability to view everything in chronological order after you beat it - it’d be dope to easily revisit every scene once you actually know who everyone is, especially to solidify motives and relationships. i know you can apparently reload your save to visit the ship again, but that’s still a lot of finicky walking, plus the timeline clusterfuck that is the the calling chapter

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zyxyz posted:

Oh god, it's a cause of death thing? I had decided that guy must have not actually been the cook somehow because it just didn't make sense for speared/spiked to not work
(assuming we're talking about the same guy—captives part 2, right?)

this is an incredibly direct hint:

what, exactly, did the cook get struck with?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the single difficulty triangle that really threw me off was the guy that got his leg cut off. was that another bunk number trick?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

So I'm still pretty early, just finished seeing The Murder chapter play out 2 hours in.

I got my first 3 Fates pretty easily, but I have 4-5 I have "done" right now that I'm pretty certain of. Yet I'm not getting another sequence/lock in.

Is this just the game telling me I got them wrong, or when they get paired in 3's, do they have to be somewhat related to each other?

You're getting them wrong somehow. Any 3 fully correct answers will get confirmed the moment you lock in the 3rd one.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Got it. So there is no way to fail then.

Yep. No time limit, unlimited guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

just keep in mind there's no time limit, you don't have to leave the ship until you're completely satisfied