Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Bought this out of the goon top games of 2018 thread, and it met expectations. I can’t believe how at the end of the game, after solving all fates, how attached I got to some of the characters. Even some of the bit players I was able to flip through their associated memories at the end, and remember exactly what they were doing in that memory, I lived the horror so deeply with them.

RIP, my heroic tattooed Frenchman bosuns mate, torn in two by the squid, only proved to be from New Guinea late in my investigation.

RIP Wolff and the other dude holding the cannon. My bad for saying that Lewis killed you for so long, since he was holding the match - forgetting that the cannon was lit before that scene.

RIP Russians, whom I constantly noticed your pipe smoking, then ignored it at your bunk while you were card sharking.

RIP Seaman Brennan, dying a traitor at the beginning of my investigation, but having some really brave moments fighting off the squid and crabmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

haldolium posted:

Oh yeah the Russians... they drove me crazy since I focused all on their dialogue in A Bitter Cold instead of thinking a bit further like the pipe...

On this note, are they speaking different dialects? The text has very different looking characters from Cyrillic in the second line

haldolium posted:

Also this game evokes much empathy. I felt sorrow for almost the entire crew and the ship. Not the least thanks to the soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX5RJ4OgvPM.

Yeah, the soundtrack is stuck in my head, and I love it.

Dalaram fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 13, 2019

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Dominoes posted:

In western culture: Most women immediately notice wedding rings, or lack thereof. Most men don't.

I noticed immediately, but it was mostly a function of my early professional life, ring checking girls before I bothered chatting them up or buying them drinks.

So back on Maba Chat, is there some reasonable way to know that his tats are from New Zealand? I had him pegged as Celtic, before I thought he as french, before I finally had no other non-chinese topmen to say he was from NG.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Flannelette posted:

There's a seaman called Shirley that seems to just vanish between 2 scenes, I guessed he was killed by the cannon shot that killed Wollf and the game said that was right but there's no evidence of this as they would have both been killed at the same time and there's no way for him to have been thrown out of the ship faster than Wollf even hitting the floor?

yeah, this seems kinda BS. I spent a long time looking for the corpse, either in scene or after.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

snoremac posted:

I don’t think the shells curse the crew mentally in any fashion - the curse is that the ocean creatures will stop at nothing to reclaim them. The greed and fear they excite are of the crew’s own making, and things are more interesting that way.

This. Also, when the captains steward dies of quicksilver poisoning in the bargain, I’m assuming that the Formosan’s figured out how to shield or conceal the Shells on the voyage by dumping them in a vat of mercury. All bets are off when Nichols opens the chest and hides the shell in the drawer, when he kills the guard.

Also, on the whole captain thing in the bargain, I don’t think he was privy to the arrangement, was he? I thought he killed two mermaids, and then left - then the doctor cuts a deal to release the last one and return the shells, if they call off the kraken.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Vichan posted:

It'd be very ironic if Dahl turns out to be the one who dooms the ship.

It wouldn’t seem that way. The mermaids have already been captured when he opens the box, and the box has already been opened before. I’d say the crab-men are coming to rescue the mermaids, and only their failure brings the kraken. I’d say it’s squarely on Nichols for prompting the murder, theft, and escape.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Poque posted:

I think I made a mistake starting this game right before having to go back to work. It's all I'm gonna think about.

I didn’t have a lot of lingering questions or thoughts, but I can’t get the soundtrack out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Sockser posted:

The Stowaway in loose cargo has some implications later in the story, though not explicitly to the SPOOKY SEAMONSTER poo poo

Wait, what?