Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Just finished getting through this game and I'm quite disappointed. I'm still trying to avoid spoilers, but I wound up having exactly the sort of experience I was hoping I wouldn't have. Only ID'd ~20 people. I could have picked up a few more if I didn't find the ending sequence an utterly obnoxious guessing festival (for example, how do you tell what the gently caress are the death causes for either of the formosans? "Magic" and "bitten" aren't options and I guess after seeing all the scenes I could have gone back and tried electrocuted/poisoned but that feels like a really lovely guess), but for the most part I really don't know what I missed. I assume there are a few I could probably find out by spending a ton of time combing through every scene with people in bunks, like which Peters brother was crushed by cargo, but I was so disappointed with the end sequence that I kinda stopped caring.

I'm really not sure what I am missing. Even very early there are some people that become IDable for reasons that seem completely opaque to me. For example, IIRC the guy that Abigail is talking to is IDable from her scene and I have no idea how you could possibly conclude anything about him from that scene. The further I got into the game, the worse this became, with characters becoming identifiable seemingly at random. For the entire second half of the game I only ID'd people in ways I considered really obvious - names, obvious job roles, and one piece of gear the Persian guy has his sword hanging near his bunk. I spotted one or two other things that seemed like they were intended to serve the same function but never noticed them show up anywhere. What am I overlooking? I don't think you're just supposed to blindly guess through a set of possibilities, that seems really cheesy and un-fun, so I know I must be overlooking some things, but I have no idea what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah I misspoke, I didn't mean Martin, I meant another officer, who I think also becomes identifiable in that scene for no apparent reason. The thing that really compounded it for me is that once you give up on identifying someone the first opportunity, you're kinda hosed - unless you write it down, there's no way to tell what scene reveals their identity. That combined with the timer forcing you out of scenes and breadcrumbing you to the next one feels like really bad game design that is out of character with how clean everything else is.

I know relationships are supposed to help you ID people, but the first mate and his steward were the only example of that I found. Aside from that it was just a lot of people showing up together repeatedly with no discernable relationship between them - nothing about age, demeanor, positioning in the sketches or scenes, or equipment would suggest anything to me. Maybe that's just because I missed one person early on that was supposed to trigger a chain reaction through the game. I honestly feel like I'm outright missing some element of the game. By halfway through the game, there was no longer any correlation between when the game expected me to be able to ID people and when I did. The majority of people I could ID from that point on, I ID'd while they were still blurry by things like their accent, clothing, accessories, or process of elimination. I feel like I'm just fundamentally missing something about how you're supposed to identify people. The only thing I can think of that I didn't try besides being REALLY exhaustive with process of elimination by bunk numbers across all scenes would be IDing people by differences in their shoes.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 8, 2020