Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Wife and I killed this in one day, probably about 13 hours. We eventually got frustrated with the Chinese Topmen and just brute forced their names.

The only scene that really confused us was The one with the dude who loses his leg. For some reason we just swapped the surgeon's mate and the captain's steward for the whole game going off the dialog. It wasn't until we were pulling our hair out and going through all the scenes again did we notice the actual surgeons mate sitting with his bag next to the Formosans after they were laid out on the boat.

Overall 10/10, would test the strength of our marriage arguing over if dudes in pictures look Chinese or not again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Whole plot, summarized and stolen from wikipedia:

When the Obra Dinn returns to its England port six years after going missing, the East India Company sends an insurance adjuster to determine what happened aboard the ship. Through the Memento Mortem and other clues, the adjuster works out the sequence of events since the ship's launch.

The Obra Dinn had launched with a number of passengers, including two royal Formosans and their guards carrying an exquisite treasure chest, which they claim help to repel dangers from the ocean. Initial calamity struck after launch, with one crew member killed by falling cargo, and two others taken by pneumonia. However, a small group of the crew saw the potential of stealing the Formosan chest, and as they neared the Canary Islands, they abducted the royal Formosans and the chest via rowboat. As they rowed away, mermaids attacked the boats and killed several of the group. The mermaid's attack was quelled when a Formosan pulled a shell out of the chest, repelling the mermaids, but not before he was killed. The remaining crew returned to the Obra Dinn, along with the bodies of mermaids they captured and shells that they held. As they were brought aboard, the mermaids came to life, attacking and killing more of the crew before they were subdued and locked in the lazarette.

The Obra Dinn circled around to return to England due to the number of tragedies, but in the midst of their return, a terrible storm struck, and crab-like creatures boarded the ship with the intent to reach the lazarette, killing more of the crew. Even after dispelling that assault, the ship was attacked by a kraken, killing more crewmen and the captain's wife. The captain killed two of the three mermaids in hopes to end the attack, took their shells and threw them overboard. Soon the kraken retreated, leaving only a skeleton crew on the ship. The surviving passengers and some of the crew decided to abandon the Obra Dinn and set off for the western coast of Africa, but not before negotiating with the surviving mermaid to help bring the Obra Dinn back to port in exchange with returning her shell and her freedom. The ship's surgeon, knowing that the East India Company will investigate the ship via the Memento Mortem, purposely killed a monkey in the lazarette and kept its paw before he left with the others. The surviving crew turned on the captain, wanting to reclaim the chest and shells for all their hardships, but he had long since threw them overboard. He killed the remaining crew, and then by his wife's body, committed suicide.

The insurance adjuster learns of all but the bargain from exploring the ship. On return to land, they mail the completed book to the specified address. A year later, the book is mailed back along with the monkey's paw, through which they use the Memento Mortem to complete the story of the Obra Dinn.

I really wish there was another game remotely like this, I've messed with some of ther Sherlock and Nancy Drew games, but now I'm just plucking away at a logic puzzles app on my phone :/

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Man, I still wish there was some kind of replayibility for this drat game. As it is I'm waiting for my memories to fade enough to do another run. Maybe randomize the character models and names? Not sure how one would pull that off.