Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
I have a question about proper labeling of fates.

If I see a guy who got in a dinghy which was subsequently picked up and thrown into the sea by a giant squid, would that properly be filed under "fell + overboard" or "drowned + beast"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Stayed up until 1 AM finishing this last night, holy poo poo what a perfectly brilliant game. Not a single misstep (from it, not me), and I'm chagrined at all the hints I missed (like the goddamn hammock numbers) while largely brute-forcing my way through the last six seamen.

I did note that, in addition to some people being mysteriously unblurred without obvious cause, there are other figures (like the surgeon) whom it is 100% possible to ID from context clues before their portraits clear up. Not sure what that's about, or why it sometimes gives only a single Difficulty Triangle to figures that took me forever -- was there a way I missed to tell which of the Indian crewmen was the one leaning over the sick guy's hammock in A Deadly Cold? Because that was marked one triangle, and I couldn't resolve it until close to the end of the game.

Also, what specific clue did I miss that let you distinguish between the carpenter and his mate?

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

My friend and I (whom I used to do a bunch of LPs with like three/four years ago before I had a kid) got back together to do this game. If you're interested, check it out -- my goal is to help guide him through his playthrough in a way that both shows off the game to him/other newcomers while being vicariously enjoyable for me/other veterans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNj1sLc0uOs

(that said, we're doing this mostly because it's fun for us rather than from a drive to create #content, so we're keeping it pretty casual/unpolished on the tech side. I will super not be offended if this isn't your cup of tea.)

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

As long as we're airing gripes about how other people choose to play a singleplayer game: Out of curiosity I skimmed some LPs and I'm like five for five on people apparently not registering that the loud, obvious, scene-headlining shout of "Martin" is in fact a person's name.

Good news: my job is specifically to point the other guy's attention towards important details (or at least in the general direction thereof), because we've learned from hard experience that that sort of bumbling makes for really boring video.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

Last time I'll post about this, but for anyone looking to vicariously enjoy a new player experiencing Obra Dinn for the first time, my LP with my friend now has its own thread (and a second episode).

Also, re: recent discussion: does the interaction of shell + weird liquid ("mercury") in The Calling line up precisely with the interaction in The Bargain? I know fire was involved both times, but I don't remember whether the proximate causes were that closely the same.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

NarDmw posted:

So, this game is on sale. As I've a very specific phobia of whales in general, I was wondering if this game has whales in it.

Yes it's Tobias Funke's never nude levels of esotericism, but there's a reason why I would not touch games like Subnautica.

It contains other sea creatures traditionally considered more terrifying than whales, but no, no whales as such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

doctor iono posted:

You guys need to play Heaven's Vault if you liked this game. It's not the same sort of puzzle solving, but it also has what I found to be a really pleasing investigation gameplay loop that's completely unique to the game.

I will second this sentiment! Heaven's Vault is way more story-focused and hand-hold-y than Obra Dinn, but it does scratch that same basic itch of player-driven detail-oriented cross-referencing-based deduction.