Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xthetenth posted:

Wait, holy loving poo poo. Skip the leprosy. He said smallpox. loving SMALLPOX. Small "eradicated in 1977" pox for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, see they've kept samples in labs and stuff. And now they have infected the migrants with small pox to sneak it into america. Once smallpox is loose in the USA the government will declare a state of emergency and force everyone to get the so-called vaccine. That's how they get you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Homex's criticism was 100% valid, and the reaction was to demand he leave and not post in the thread. being an op doesn't make you invulnerable to someone calling you out on your bs

And wanting a productive thread where yall sniff each other's pseudophilosophical 8 paragraph farts about how rightwingers are all crazy cultists unlike us enlightened libs is absolutely a better fit for d&d

Nah, what you need to do is add 'crew' to the title and move it to:https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=196
The pastel color scheme is soothing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

uncop posted:

Dismantling institutions and purging their membership are two very different things.

In theory yes, but actually no.

Disband ICE and even if as few as 10% of them were "bad apples" spoiling the bunch, that 10% still exists. They will need new jobs, and they'll look for jobs that give them power over vulnerable people. Or they are angry and unemployed, but still dangerous and joining whatever association of angry men will have them.

Eventually the "good guys" will come to the inevitable conclusion that the only option is to lance the boil and remove the poison. Which, at best, involves sending them to re-education camps or gulags. At which point the bad apples who managed to lie low join the staff of the new camps and continue their previous abusive habits. Everybody will be vaguely aware of this, but at least the guys who are being abused really deserve it this time, right?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prester Jane posted:

At this point my continuing participation in this community is starting to become something of a moral question (not the only poster that feels this way) and so my attitude st this point is "I takes my chances and I gets what I gets".

That said, the heart of the ongoing forums culture war imo is the result of an incompatability between two different worldviews resulting from different lived experiences- on one side you have people who have generally lived in relatively stable social environments (and thus prefer a "negative peace" status quo) and on the other side you have those who believe that the status quo must be continuously and constantly reinvented, and that this disruption should be intentionally conducted in pursuit of an agenda.

That's your choice, but putting yourself in smaller social circles so you don't have to interact with the wrong sort of people doesn't seem like a great long-term solution either. Self-segregation is ultimately still segregation. Negative peace allows for progress, slow progress but still progress, segregation does not.

Maybe just take a couple months off, let things blow over and settle down before you make an irrevocable decision to burn bridges? Winter is awful, things might look better in the spring. SA is miles more progressive than it was 10 years ago, be a shame to risk a permaban now and lock yourself out of whatever SA becomes tomorrow.