Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
1. Even when a fully trained PhD academic starts littering their article with neologisms or newly coined buzzwords it usually feels unearned and annoying.

2. It's not a good sign when somebody's developed theory doesn't seem to engage at all with any existing body of research, or only engages with such research in a superficial and opportunistic manner.

If you were writing a thesis on this topic one of the first things you'd be asked to conduct would be a literature review in which, after identifying the scope and topic of your research, you would describe what the current scholarly trends in the field are and locate your own ideas within the context of other researchers. You'd have to give a bit of context for your work and explain how your own thinking relates to the theories and research of others.

Serious scholarship is heavily focused on plugging your own ideas into a larger framework of research, and of locating yourself within long running arguments and debates that often span decades. Its not a purely solitary endeavor where you cloister yourself away, do a lot of thinking and research in isolation (or with your internet friends) and then come down from the mountain top to share your visions. You really gotta put in the work of actually linking your thoughts with what other people have said because 1) it lets you know when you've just accidentally invented a cruder version of an existing theory and 2) it hopefully forces you to constantly test your ideas and actually introduces some amount of rigour into your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I didn't even have a Social Security number until I was 14. I was raised in a backwards doomsday cult and my life has primarily been preoccupied with trying to overcome that. Beyond basic arithmetic and reading my actual education didn't start until I entered High School, prior to that I had been educated by the cult. I am literally a disabled schizophrenic who lives in Portland on less than $1,000 a month from my social security check, I never really had the option to go to college.

Also when I started this project the first drafts were literally written on a library computer because I was living in a homeless shelter at the time. Like I am doing the goddmned best job of this I can with basically no resources whatsoever and a huge pile of obstacles in front of me, you'll forgive me if I have no idea how to even go about reviewing literature that I've never once had access to in my life.

If you are taking the effort to put yourself out there and solicit feedback for your ideas you're obviously ready to think about what others have written on this topic. Constructing your own entire original theory based purely on your own observation and research is a poor approach and frankly anyone who doesn't tell you that is doing you a disservice. You're presenting your ideas as a system of thought that can be used to make sense of the world so I thinks the standard I'm holding to you is perfectly fair.

If you have access to a computer, the internet and a library and can write long analyses of articles or youtube videos then you're clearly capable of looking up other theories of group psychology, cognitive biases, politics, etc. and figuring out how your ideas relate to what others have said. It's not like you need to read everything ever written before forming your own opinions but if you want to be taken seriously you should demonstrate that you first took other people's ideas seriously.

BrandorKP posted:

For fun replace "framework" with "narrative" in Helsing's post about academia.

This kind of illustrates my point. The fact academics (or anyone for that matter) use narratives and other heuristic devices to make sense of the world isn't controversial. What is supposed to make academic work distinctive is usually the fact that it's collaborative in nature - committees, peer review, conferences, etc.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ok, that is fair enough. Let me try to think of a more constructive way to convey this advice.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

This is an excellent question, and a topic that I haven't really addressed much outside of how Narrativism spreads. So let me try and take a crack at it here.

The various terms being used describe "Self Replicating Behaviour Patterns"- behaviour patterns that are transmissible within a group given the right conditions. All of these patterns are ultimately rooted in subconscious thought processes, and the way these patterns transmit from individual to individual is by the brain adopting these subconcious ways of processing information. The specifics of how each pattern transmit varies considerably from pattern to pattern- but I want to specify that this process isn't pathological in any way. I believe it's been a normal part of the human psyche since we've been human beings.

I believe that it's a combination of both biological predisposition as well as social environment that affects which patterns a given individual is likely to develop; with the amount of influence that biological predisposition plays varying considerably from Individual to individual. Without getting into a five page primer on the "HumanOS Framework" (my theory of the subconscious mind that explains the existence of Self Replicating Behaviour Patterns) let me try and give a (very)simple summary of the patterns we have been discussing here and how they are transmitted. Let's start with Structuralists and Integrators because they are two sides of the same coin, and they both develop during early childhood.

Structuralists: This pattern develops when a child recieves "Inter-reactive Environmental Feedback" primarily from their physical interaction with objects or their ability to complete assigned tasks in a specified manner. (That is to say a child's interaction with physical objects or following instructions tends to result in the strongest/most consistent feedback from the environment they find themselves in.) Over time the brain attunes itself towards this source of feedback and builds subconscious structures designed to maximize this source of feedback. The most straightforward example is to imagine a child who grew up in an Inuit community; using tools in a very competent manner and being constantly aware of physical conditions in their immediate surroundings are skills that would be constantly reinforced in the child- both socially and physically.

Integrators: This pattern develops when a child receives Inter-reactive Environmental Feedback primarily through "Identity Expression"- how the child expresses their unique identity. (This can take a huge variety of forms- but the freedom to make clothing choices and the ability to play with their own budding identity are particularly strong.) The child (subconsciously) learns that how they present themselves and express their identity results in the strongest and most consistent feedback from their social environment.

Cooperators: This pattern developes when an individual (not necessarily a child as this pattern can develope fairly late in life) spends a great deal of time in a social environment that is 1.)stable in the sense that it's social mores and structures are consistently enforced and 2.)requires interaction with designated gatekeepers in order to acquire desired resources.

Narrativists: This pattern develops as a result of prolonged exposure to communication (particularly verbal communication) that relies heavily on Bypass Logic to reach its conclusions. The vulnerability of a given individual to developing Narrativism increases as "Futurevision" (the ability for an individual to believe in/imagine a desirable future for themselves) becomes more difficult to engage in.

Some of your observational data is interesting and I think you have some great insights on group psychology but I gotta reiterate there's a lot of pseudo-scientific stuff going on here. Like, in addition to your grand theory of group formation and ideology you also have a fully independently formed theory on child psychology and development? Based on nothing but your own personal observations and thinking? Don't you think that's a bit of a reach?

Not trying to "gatekeep" you but this thread is a bit of a hugbox and I don't think people are giving you sufficiently candid feedback on your ideas. When you are asked to clarify something it shouldn't inevitably lead to an additional new theory every time. What is the grounding here? Where does your system of ideas link up to something outside your own head?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also to be slightly more constructive, some freely available places to start if you wanted to compare your ideas with others or get an idea of what best practices are for developing your ideas:

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Sociology Testbook - provides broad overview of many topics that are similar to your interests, including group dynamics

Textbooks aren't great but they can be helpful for broadly framing the issues and giving a good overview of major theoretical traditions. See, for instance, chapter six of this book and how it takes a single incident (Occupy Wall Street) and shows how different theoretical lenses would each analyze the same event.

Downloadable pdf of an Intro Psychology Textbook - similarly gives broad overview and introduction to many topics of interest to you including basic primer on links between psychology and study of the brain, etc.

A short youtube primer on preparing a lit review - not something I'm saying you follow rigorously, but its helpful to see what best practices are thought to be for a grad student preparing a research project

PDF version of "The Reactionary Mind" by Corey Robbin - a book that tries to offer a unified psychological theory of conservatism

Online copy of "When Prophecy Fails" - a famous and influential book of definite relevance to your interests. From the wiki summary:

quote:

When Prophecy Fails: A Social and Psychological Study of a Modern Group That Predicted the Destruction of the World is a classic work of social psychology by Leon Festinger, Henry Riecken, and Stanley Schachter which studied a small UFO religion in Chicago called the Seekers that believed in an imminent apocalypse and its coping mechanisms after the event did not occur. Festinger's theory of cognitive dissonance can account for the psychological consequences of disconfirmed expectations. One of the first published cases of dissonance was reported in this book.

The Makings of a Pro-Life Activist by Ziad W. Munson. A very important book released in 2008. It examines the dynamics of social movement mobilization using a case study of the pro-life movement. It specifically zeros in on the question of who becomes directly engaged as an activist - the answer is surprising, in that merely having strong beliefs isn't enough to motivate action.

The True Believer - famous book on the nature of mass movements

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

A reach to do what exactly? Be a schizophrenic posting their theories in a tiny little corner of the internet? The theories I'm proposing here aren't even necessarily their final form- the Narrativist Framework evolved tremendously over the years in response to the feedback and effort post I got from people who were willing to engage me on my own terms.

Like I got to emphasize here that at the end of the day I'm a disabled schizophrenic and I have no choice but to do what I can to work around that. I'm mentally ill enough to have won a disability case for mental illness in Texas- that's not exactly a small thing.

This is more or less my creative method and what I've been doing for over three and a half years now. One of my primary motivations for running this thread instead of just putting all this down on my block is because these kinds of conversations eight me tremendously and figuring out how to organize and communicate my ideas. What I'm doing right here is just the only way I know of to move this project forwards. This is my creative method more or less.

If you go back and read the D&D thread you'll see that I've been doing the exact same thing the entire time. I put material out there, and then I get feedback on it and use that feedback to refine both the idea and how I communicate that idea. This process is of inestimable value to me and I don't know of any other way to do it :shrug:

I think you've got some interesting ideas and I'm encouraging you to develop them. You're more than capable of doing so, that's self evident in what you've written so far. I think its a cop out to fall back on your health issues - you're obviously intelligent and motivated enough to develop this theory in the first place, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to comment in the first place.

You're saying that one of your primary motivations for writing is figuring out how to organize and communicate your ideas. Well, part of that includes engaging with things other people have said and thought and not just posting on Something Awful! You've been at this for three years, surely your ideas are developed enough that you're able to check out some alternative approaches to the same topic.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If other people are interested, I think it'd be fun to book-club some of these resources.

I can take point on something like that. I guess the question would be which one people are most interested in.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I fully agree, thoughts do not work in discrete units. What I am trying to get at here would be more like individual (and interchangeable) mathematical equations used in code for writing a complex computer program. Imagine a huge database of these various equations which are frequently referenced and used. I am looking for a word to describe these equations.

Edit: this would be occurring at a sub-awareness level. Not a thought or a notion or a whimsy- those are all much to large and occurring at the level of conscious awareness, More like if you were to take a flash image of a brain as it was thinking that allowed you to see the individual neural pathways that were lit up in that specific moment; and then labeling some of the various neural pathways according to the way they influenced the ultimate outcome of the thought that was experienced at the conscious level.

You're moving from a descriptive theory of group psychology based on your personal experiences and observations to a theory of the mind and/or brain?

When you just decide what you already believe then ask people to help you do an ad hoc rationalization of it then you're not really engaging with data. "Hey, I decided the brain works this way, can anyone help me find evidence to support the idea I already decided on?" isn't the right way to do this.

Again, you have a lot of interesting personal experiences and they are definitely relevant to modern politics and political behaviour! But to be blunt you're doing cargo cult science right now and its completely undermining the actual interesting content of your ideas.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Can somebody give me an operational definition of "Narrativism" and an example of distinctively non-Narrativism behaviour for contrast?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Have you read George Lakoff's Women, Fire and Dangerous Things?

Here thread, have a pdf of the whole book.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

Unrelated, Skex is good people Prester. But, I'm not going to tell you you're wrong. I don't think you are. Neither was Stanton. The abolitionists did betray the feminists, by leaving women out of the thirteenth amendment. But they weren't wrong either. It wouldn't have been adopted if they hadn't.

Skex is one of the dumbest posters I've ever seen in D&D and that is saying something.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Anyone willing to make a series of very simple images to represent the compaction cycle for me? (I have absolutely no artistic capacity whatsoever or I do it myself). But I think a simple series of stick figure type Graphics telling the story of the snowball metaphor could really do well as a Twitter thread for the compaction cycle. It'll be a weapon that could be whipped out by anyone anytime to behavior appears in social media*.

*compaction cycles are goddamn omnipresent anymore- it's just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. I mean fucksakes its like the early 00's Otherkin community threw up on politics.

You're asking for money on patreon so I really hope you're planning to compensate anyone who does work for you.

You're selling it as a "weapon" but it's also building your personal brand which you are actively attempting to monetize and you need to be upfront about that.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

I was re-reading this thread and just came across this old post; I would like to state for the record that I have at this point emailed approximately 60 different College professors across a variety of universities, and I have gotten more or less bupkis in response. I have experimented with a variety of approach's/outreaxh strategies, but (so far) no one has really been willing to invest the time to read my work. A couple have responded with links to their own related works on deradicalizing/cult environments, but that's the most effort/thought I have gotten in a response do far.

Based on the last time this thread was active, you also haven't invested the time to read anyone else's work. If you're reaching out to professionals and asking them to evaluate your work or help develop your ideas then you need to make some effort to ensure you don't come off like somebody cold calling physicists and offering to give them the details on your perpetual motion machine.

At the risk of being repetitive: part of developing a theory is actually comparing your ideas against the theories other people have developed. Figuring out where there's overlap, where you're saying something new or different, etc. Those techniques were literally developed as best practices over the centuries to try and resist some of the very psychological tendencies that you're critiquing.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I have seen other people offer a more or less identical analysis of Q Annon without having to use any special or self referential jargon. And your hypothesizing about how only Russian intelligence could be behind such a scheme crosses over into outright nonsense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Maybe that last post was too harsh on my part but Prester I gotta point out that you're equally brutal in your dealings with the D&D brainworms caucus so I don't exactly feel like I'm punching below the belt here. Also I find it tiresome that you more or less respond to all my posts as trolls when one of my first forays into this thread was to offer up an entire annotated bibliography of suggested sources.

You're putting your ideas out in to the world, proposing them as solutions to some of our most serious political problems. You're going to get harsh feedback. The most I guess I can offer is that while I can get a bit caught up in myself and act like an rear end in a top hat sometimes, I am genuinely trying to give you helpful feedback even if the format its coming in is abrasive. I think you've got a lot of people here giving you positive feedback and encouragement, maybe there needs to be room for at least one person with a much harsher tone. How are you ever going to have confidence in your theory if it hasn't been attacked harshly and repeatedly from every angle?

Prester Jane posted:

This is... literally the thread specifically for developing my jargon? What exactly is your objection here? It looks like you're (as per usual) just trying to pick a fight and be passive-aggressively insulting.

I mean my jargon isn't actually self-referential, because it in no way references me. None of my concepts are named after me or anything particularly important to me. Could you please explain how my jargon is self-referential?

When I say that your writing is self-referential I mean that it almost exclusively refers back to itself instead of building connections with other ideas, arguments, theories, etc. rather than engaging with outside literature. Ideally there's going to be a balance between new theoretical terms and pre-existing concepts that ground your ideas. Like, take your idea of "narrative dysphoria". How is that similar to or different from cognitive dissonance? Why was a new word necessary? How is it related to other forms of dysphoria?

For instance, the idea of "the Nostradamus Hustle" is a clever and useful term for a phenomenon that I've seen many times before but for which I've never seen such an accurate and succinct label. The wording is clever and evocative and helpfully communicates the concept. That's an example of a term I could easily see myself borrowing and re-using. It's a neologism that'd make a career academic jealous. I don't agree with you that its evidence for a high level conspiracy and would actually argue that crowd sourced and non-directed Nostradamus Hustles are extremely common and that there's simply no need to invoke government intelligence agencies to explain something that looks like it happened organically, but either way I think the term itself is golden.

Some of your other concepts like "narrativist" I'm more skeptical of. I can sort of intuit what you're getting at but the concept feels fuzzy and underdefined and I have never had a clear sense of whether its even possible for anyone to not be a narrativist. It would be helpful for me as a reader if you were spending more time defining such a crucial concept and explaining how it is similar or different to other theories of psychology. Whats the difference between an authoritarian and a narrativist? etc. Is narrativism a yes/no quality or something that happens on a spectrum?

quote:

Why do you insist on arguing in bad faith? Those posts literally state that Russian intelligence is the "most likely culprit". )That said- since I wrote those posts in March of 2018 a fair amount of evidence has come out that I feel suppports my case.) It's now public record that pizzagate and the Seth Rich conspiracy theory where the products of Russian psyops. It doesn't seem so unreasonable to me that Qanon, a conspiracy theory that exists in the same conceptual universe as pizzagate/Seth Rich conspiracy theory+were promulgated through the same channels by many of the same actors, was also initiated by Russian intelligence as a psyop.

No, that hasn't been proven, and yes it does seem unreasonable.

Given everything we know about the right and American culture, given the example of guys like Vince Foster, I just don't get how anyone could seriously buy into the idea that it took a Russian state sponsored disinformation campaign to generate a conspiracy around Seth Rich. There's a massive rightwing infrastructure dedicated to propagating these ideas and a huge pre-existing conspiracy literature specifically focused on the Clinton's. You don't need Russia-gate to explain how conspiracies like this take hold when House of Cards is one of the most popular political dramas of the last decade! The emergence of the Seth Rich conspiracy theory was more or less inevitable from the moment he was shot in the back. Yeah places like RT and Sputnik signal boosted those conspiracies but it really strains credulity to think they deserve the primary blame or focus here when the Seth Rich poo poo was only the latest in a very long line.

quote:

Further, since writing all of that material March of 2018, qanon adherence have behaved more or less as my framework predicts they would. A fair number of them have become violent and committed Lone Wolf attacks, and a significant number of individuals who were qanon adherents at one point or another have radicalized and have carried that radicalization forward into other right-wing spheres.

People were able to anticipate this without reference to your theory though. It's not enough to point out that your theory could match the data. The test of a theory is its parsimony, its scope, its accuracy and its falsifiablity (more on this below), all of which have to be measured relative to other explanations. I'll elaborate on this in a separate post.

I read it and was instantly reminded of the bad old days of the Russiagate thread in D&D and how otherwise sensible people just yearn to believe this stuff.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

So in the spirit of explaining what I'm trying to get at here's a basic breakdown of the role of theory in social science. This is a bit biased toward more quantitative approaches but is still very valuable.

Let me say immediately that academic knoweldge and procedures are not inherently more legitimate than other ways of knowing. There's a lot of ivory tower bullshit in the academy and a lot of gate keeping and careerism. I'm really not saying you should put all your ideas on hold and nevero pen your mouth unless you've done years of school. There are some strengths and advantages to developing your ideas outside the academic stranglehold.

But! That doesn't mean academia is irrelevant or that all its techniques and procedures should be tossed into the garbage. And when you strip away the pretensions that surround a lot of academia, most of the basic rules, such as those below, are actually pretty helpful for working through the details of a complicated idea.

Theory in Social Science posted:

I. What is a theory?
< A. Definition from Schutt: A logically interrelated set of propositions about
empirical reality. These propositions are comprised of:
– 1. Definitions: Sentences introducing terms that refer to the basic concepts of the
theory
– 2. Functional relationships: Sentences that relate the basic concepts to each other.
Within these we have
– a. Assumptions or axioms
– b. Deductions or hypotheses
– 3. Operational definitions: Sentences that relate some theoretical statement to a set
of possible observations
< B. Why should we care? What do theories do?
– 1. Help us classify things: entities, processes, and causal relationships
– 2. Help us understand how and why already observed regularities occur
– 3 . Help us predict as yet unobserved relationships
– 4. Guide research in useful directions
– 5. Serve as a basis for action. "There is nothing so practical as a good theory."
C. What makes a good theory?
< 1. Parsimony: the ability to explain in relatively few terms and statements
< 2. Breadth of phenomena explained
< 3. Accuracy of predictions of new phenomena
< 4. Ability to be disproved
P D. What makes a theory useful? (From Pettigrew)
< 1. Moderators: variables that tell you when relationships can be expected to
be observed and when not. E.g. A causes B under condition Q
< 2. Mediators: variables that tell you how or why a relationship occurs, some
process that occurs between them. E.g. A causes B through variable Y.
< 3. “Surplus meaning”. It leads to new ideas that you would not have had
without it. E.g., you may hate evolutionary theory applied to people, but it
does lead to predictions no other theory makes

Obviously this is stuff is aspirational - its not like this could all be done over night. But rather than just continuing to add more invented terminology and crawling through random news stories guided by your confirmation bias I implore you to think about spending more time rigorously defining the terms you've already got and working on precisely explaining how they fit together. Or at least, that'd be my advice, take it or leave it.

Also, regarding anyone still freaking out about the Internet Research Agency I really encourage them to read this article by one of the first journalists to draw attention to them.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

One second thought, nevermind.

Helsing has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Aug 9, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It feels like a lot of people here want to have their cake and eat it too. If you're going to argue that Narrativism is a predictive theory that can be applied to explain current social phenomena better than other theories then you need a better response to well criticism than "stop trying to gatekeep me."

If this was a thread about one person relating their personal experiences and anecdotal observations about how group behaviour and mental health interact then I think that would be a different kettle of fish. But instead we're getting a bunch of ideas that are expressly designed to look like a rigorous academic theory of group psychology. Let's not fool ourselves: you put your ideas in this particular format because you want to borrow some of the prestige that rigorous academic models inherently have. When you assign special terminology and develop a system of thought and claim it all relates together in a specific way you're relying on the fact that your readers have been taught to view these as signs of rigor and predictive power.

If you present a big theory of everything that is set up to more or less mimic an academic theory of group psychology then guess what? You're going to get people critiquing your ideas ion the same terms that you presented them. Complaining about this as "gate keeping" is ridiculous.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nobody is arguing that! Nowhere above did we say that we want to challenge an academic field. That's all you. That's projection of what I can only assume is your D&D style urge to search for the perfectly optimal lesson that academics can use to heal the unwashed, and assuming that we want that too instead of something much more practical. The people ITT advocate for awareness of a few helpful concepts, not overhauling academia for gently caress's sake. If you're arguing based on how Prester stated that she wanted her theories to have academic rigor someday, and if you're saying that she went too far with it, then congratulations, you are arguing with a schizophrenic on the internet while everyone else patiently waits for you to stop.

My argument is simply that if PJ isn't trying to develop a rigorous academic theory then she should stop using the format of a rigorous academic theory to present and explain her ideas. That's not because I think it is somehow disrespectful to academics or something dumb like that - academia has a lot of problems and is hardly the only legitimate form of knowledge, in fact sometimes it's completely ill suited for the task at hand - the reason I am bringing this up is because I think that reveals an underlying contradiction in how this thread is approaching its topic.

The way you format your ideas has a lot of influence over how you end up using those ideas in real life. If you have what amounts to a collection of interesting anecdotes but you insist on arranging them into a predictive theory then this is not good. That's not because anecdotal observations are bad - they are some powerful sometimes and worth considering. But they should not be misrepresented as something different than what they are.

Jazerus posted:

if the disagreements were, in fact, on the same terms as presented, that would be such a vast improvement over the status quo that nobody would be complaining at all.

and yet in the same post where you posit that all of these highly reasonable disagreements have been presented respectfully, you slip in a casual implication that the whole thread is somehow inherently dishonest.

do you not understand the inherent contradiction in how you approach this thread? if the discussion was actually reasonable instead of constantly edging uncomfortably close to personal attack, there would not be a problem in the first place. even in the midst of bad modding sheng-ji managed to have a more reasonably objective discussion about his skepticism toward the thread topic than most of the thread's regular critics have ever done

My intention is not to accuse people of dishonesty. I'm just trying to point out that the way knowledge is organized matters just as much as the knowledge itself, and failure to acknowledge that has a cost.

I've tried to be clear that I think there's plenty of merits to PJ's ideas and lots of stuff worth talking about. My concern is the approach taken here is actually inhibiting a good discussion instead of encouraging one.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jazerus posted:

if these folks were simply disagreeing there would not be a problem.

What exactly is your objection to how I'm engaging with this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

This article is now almost a decade old:

quote:

Is America 'Yearning for Fascism'?

The language of violence always presages violence. I watched it in war after war from Latin America to the Balkans. The impoverishment of a working class and the snuffing out of hope and opportunity always produce angry mobs ready to kill and be killed. A bankrupt, liberal elite, which proves ineffectual against the rich and the criminal, always gets swept aside, in times of economic collapse, before thugs and demagogues emerge to play to the passions of the crowd. I have seen this drama. I know each act. I know how it ends. I have heard it in other tongues in other lands. I recognize the same stock characters, the buffoons, charlatans and fools, the same confused crowds and the same impotent and despised liberal class that deserves the hatred it engenders.

“We are ruled not by two parties but one party,” Cynthia McKinney, who ran for president on the Green Party ticket, told me. “It is the party of money and war. Our country has been hijacked. And we have to take the country away from those who have hijacked it. The only question now is whose revolution gets funded.”

The Democrats and their liberal apologists are so oblivious to the profound personal and economic despair sweeping through this country that they think offering unemployed people the right to keep their unemployed children on their nonexistent health care policies is a step forward. They think that passing a jobs bill that will give tax credits to corporations is a rational response to an unemployment rate that is, in real terms, close to 20 percent. They think that making ordinary Americans, one in eight of whom depends on food stamps to eat, fork over trillions in taxpayer dollars to pay for the crimes of Wall Street and war is acceptable. They think that the refusal to save the estimated 2.4 million people who will be forced out of their homes by foreclosure this year is justified by the bloodless language of fiscal austerity. The message is clear. Laws do not apply to the power elite. Our government does not work. And the longer we stand by and do nothing, the longer we refuse to embrace and recognize the legitimate rage of the working class, the faster we will see our anemic democracy die.

The unraveling of America mirrors the unraveling of Yugoslavia. The Balkan war was not caused by ancient ethnic hatreds. It was caused by the economic collapse of Yugoslavia. The petty criminals and goons who took power harnessed the anger and despair of the unemployed and the desperate. They singled out convenient scapegoats from ethnic Croats to Muslims to Albanians to Gypsies. They set in motion movements that unleashed a feeding frenzy leading to war and self-immolation. There is little difference between the ludicrous would-be poet Radovan Karadzic, who was a figure of ridicule in Sarajevo before the war, and the moronic Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin. There is little difference between the Oath Keepers and the Serbian militias. We can laugh at these people, but they are not the fools. We are.

The longer we appeal to the Democrats, who are servants of corporate interests, the more stupid and ineffectual we become. Sixty-one percent of Americans believe the country is in decline, according to a recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, and they are right. Only 25 percent of those polled said the government can be trusted to protect the interests of the American people. If we do not embrace this outrage and distrust as our own it will be expressed through a terrifying right-wing backlash.

“It is time for us to stop talking about right and left,” McKinney told me. “The old political paradigm that serves the interests of the people who put us in this predicament will not be the paradigm that gets us out of this. I am a child of the South. Janet Napolitano tells me I need to be afraid of people who are labeled white supremacists but I was raised around white supremacists. I am not afraid of white supremacists. I am concerned about my own government. The Patriot Act did not come from the white supremacists, it came from the White House and Congress. Citizens United did not come from white supremacists, it came from the Supreme Court. Our problem is a problem of governance. I am willing to reach across traditional barriers that have been skillfully constructed by people who benefit from the way the system is organized.”

We are bound to a party that has betrayed every principle we claim to espouse, from universal health care to an end to our permanent war economy, to a demand for quality and affordable public education, to a concern for the jobs of the working class. And the hatred expressed within right-wing movements for the college-educated elite, who created or at least did nothing to halt the financial debacle, is not misplaced. Our educated elite, wallowing in self-righteousness, wasted its time in the boutique activism of political correctness as tens of millions of workers lost their jobs. The shouting of racist and bigoted words at black and gay members of Congress, the spitting on a black member of the House, the tossing of bricks through the windows of legislators’ offices, are part of the language of rebellion. It is as much a revolt against the educated elite as it is against the government. The blame lies with us. We created the monster. When someone like Palin posts a map with cross hairs on the districts of Democrats, when she says “Don’t Retreat, Instead — RELOAD!” there are desperate people cleaning their weapons who listen. When Christian fascists stand in the pulpits of megachurches and denounce Barack Obama as the Antichrist, there are messianic believers who listen. When a Republican lawmaker shouts “baby killer” at Michigan Democrat Bart Stupak, there are violent extremists who see the mission of saving the unborn as a sacred duty. They have little left to lose. We made sure of that. And the violence they inflict is an expression of the violence they endure.

These movements are not yet full-blown fascist movements. They do not openly call for the extermination of ethnic or religious groups. They do not openly advocate violence. But, as I was told by Fritz Stern, a scholar of fascism who has written about the origins of Nazism, “In Germany there was a yearning for fascism before fascism was invented.” It is the yearning that we now see, and it is dangerous. If we do not immediately reincorporate the unemployed and the poor back into the economy, giving them jobs and relief from crippling debt, then the nascent racism and violence that are leaping up around the edges of American society will become a full-blown conflagration.

Left unchecked, the hatred for radical Islam will transform itself into a hatred for Muslims. The hatred for undocumented workers will become a hatred for Mexicans and Central Americans. The hatred for those not defined by this largely white movement as American patriots will become a hatred for African-Americans. The hatred for liberals will morph into a hatred for all democratic institutions, from universities to government agencies to the press. Our continued impotence and cowardice, our refusal to articulate this anger and stand up in open defiance to the Democrats and the Republicans, will see us swept aside for an age of terror and blood.