Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BrandorKP posted:

Corrupt hidden religion.

They think Jesus comes back when everyone goes back to their native lands except white people keep America, right?

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Can someone translate this?

Oh the new conspiracy theory is a laser burning things in california to start the fires. Then speculation on why people are cynical and lovely enough to deny reality to the extent they have been recently.

Harold Fjord has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Nov 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Edit- nm

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
What do we call useful idiots who embrace the outernarrative whole heartedly ?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just read your writeup of Trump and it's real good. I almost feel bad for him.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

I'm not going to lie, I think a lot of liberals who think they would have been against slavery during the 1800s wouldn't have actually been against it. Like, at most they would have hoped to eventually end slavery at some point in the future.

Well, they wouldn't want to get fired from their 12 hour factory shifts and have their 8 children starve.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

The Atlantic has an interview with a former white nationalist. Here are a few choice bits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/08/conversation-christian-picciolini/595543/

You can't love all of mankind if you don't love yourself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Humans were being lovely to each other for dumb reasons long before Capitalism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can't get over how good your breakdown of the President is PJ.

I knew a girl in high school who had her hand nearly bitten off by a dog as a 5 year old. Now she has a thick scar all through the middle of her palm the exact width of her hand at the time. Other stuff goes around it, but the scarred tissue just sits there.
That's basically our president's psyche. :toot:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Actually we understand the paradox of tolerance.

Edit- I may have misunderstood you DL. what are you identifying as authoritarianism happening there?

Harold Fjord has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jan 5, 2020

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I just had the strangest idea.

Did you read The Quantum Thief perchance?
I've been mulling something very similar. I have a little text file on my desktop titled "insane musings" (is this ableist/being lovely? I can change it but I've only recently become aware that some people might find it lovely) full of various one sentence references to my highdeas and one of them is labeled "Cooperationism vs competitionism". At first I was thinking in terms of an un/selfish axis, but I think that may be overly reductive.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Okay, so that's probably a common hypothesis. Here's the stranger one that just occurred to me:.

Agreed on that first point.
RN addressed a lot of the issues with this, but I just want to say that a left/right spectrum, or any 1 or 2 axis representation of human beliefs, is again entirely too reductive. This is where things like "horse shoe theory" and "fish hook theory" come from, people who are closer together on axes that aren't properly represented.

The prisoners dilemma is a pretty good thought game, but being a game it fails to reflect the full range of complexity of betrayals and cooperations humans experience or the Lensman Arms Race style benefits that competition can create.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Prester Jane posted:

So I'm just posting to say "So long and thanks for all the fish". I am not gonna autoban because I need too much of the material I have posted in my various threads- however I do not intend to post anymore on these here forums. I am going to be relocating all of my threads over to Bread and Roses, and I heartily encourage anyone who has enjoyed my content to register and give the place a spin: https://breadnroses.club/register/

I'll miss you but also come and visit you.