Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can Cyrano just post that excellent post about how media no matter how sincere or authentic will always feel slightly off so it can just be enshrined in the OP forever? that was a good post.

The one where I forgot the term ludonarriative dissonance?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tampabaytimes/obituary.aspx?pid=150669534

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ughhhh posted:

A bar i regular was playing this on the TV and i thought this thread would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gCtS3d7hw

I have no clue about its history or reference other than that looks like Napoleon.

Those are some comically tall shako and other head gear.

Yep that is the one.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
From one of the Japanese militaria otaku I follow:

context:
https://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/07/world/maastricht-journal-dutch-want-back-the-fossil-napoleon-took-away.html

quote:

Ms. Rompen said that in 1780 quarry workers found the fossil embedded in a dark recess of St. Peter's mountain near Maastricht and lugged it to the home of the landowner, Theodorus Godding, who was a canon at a local church.

The official French version says the canon did not appreciate the fossil's value, so when Napoleon's troops invaded in 1794, he offered it "as a donation to the French Government," after swapping it for 600 bottles of wine.

But Ms. Rompen, who has examined archives covering the two decades of the French occupation of Maastricht, said she found a 1794 decree from Paris ordering the "famous skull" to be seized and taken to France. She also found copies of letters from the canon's niece to the French Government, repeatedly asking that the skull "so vulgarly stolen" be returned. Paris did not respond.

In the Paris Museum of Natural History, the disputed head lies in a low glass case. It is not easy to spot in the great gallery full of shelves, cabinets and pedestals stuffed with ancient bones.

"Well, no, I'm not aware of any government request for the Mosasaurus," said Philippe Taquet, director of the museum's paleontology department. In any case, he said, it could not travel. "It's very fragile, very precious."

pthighs posted:

I'm no expert but I know Patton designed a cavalry sword for the US Army in the interwar period. Presumably he was selected for to his long experience and social standing. I'm guessing his getting and cavalry experience informed whatever changes he made to the design.

Patton's design was a departure from traditional sabers though. IIRC it was a straight-bladed sword with a pistol-grip that was perfectly balanced for thrusting and would have been more familiar to a fencing student, as Patton had gone and studied under some French cavalry masters at Samur who told him that slashing from horseback is less likely to kill than a stabbing attack.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Koramei posted:

Relatedly, can we get the last thread goldmined too? There's a lot of posts that it'd suck to lose. Would be nice to have links to them in the OP like last time too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3297799
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3585027
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785167

It's in there.

You know, you guys can PM Grand Fromage too. He's a cool dude. Reads his PMs. Tends to take suggestions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's hilarious (and by hilarious I mean infuriating) when leftist Nazi-haters somehow swallow Soviet propaganda and start screaming how Poland got what it deserved for being Nazi collaborators.

Like, my duds, do you not know where the Warsaw Ghetto got their weapons from? It was the Home Army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's hilarious (and by hilarious I mean infuriating) when leftist Nazi-haters somehow swallow Soviet propaganda and start screaming how Poland got what it deserved for being Nazi collaborators.

Like, my duds, do you not know where the Warsaw Ghetto got their weapons from? It was the Home Army.

The soviets also halted deliberately till the uprising was finished, and helpfully arrested the british mission. You know, the mission of the only country that actually tried to help.

But that was For The People. Never mind how the uprising began because The People were prepared for the Red Army to advance and liberate and that’s why the drat thing happened.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can Cyrano just post that excellent post about how media no matter how sincere or authentic will always feel slightly off so it can just be enshrined in the OP forever? that was a good post.

Cyrano4747 posted:

With regard to war in video games in general there is a key problem that comes from the media itself, namely the clash between narrative and gameplay. There’s a fancy word for this that I’m blanking on, but basically you frequently get dissonance between what the overt message of the story is - as indicated by cutscenes and in-game events - and what the gameplay itself is telling you.

Here’s a simple example: in Doom (2016 but really you can talk about any of them this way) the narrative tells you demons are bad. The game design reinforces this by making them vicious, ugly, etc. The gameplay also reinforces it by making killing them both fun and rewarding, both in terms of the gameplay itself and furthering the goals that the narrative established for you. If you kill a demon it isn’t a threat and maybe drops ammo or health that helps you in a gameplay sense, but it also furthers your goal of killing all the demons because demons suck.

Now imagine a game where the writers are trying to tell some kind of “war is hell” type of story. All the cut scenes and other narrative elements tell you that your character is having an awful time. His friends are dying, he disagrees with the political goals of the war, he sympathizes with the enemy soldiers stuck in the meat grinder, and he’s displaying all kinds of symptoms of psychological issues. Then, you get into the game and you’re right in that “shooting things is fun” game design of something like Doom. The gameplay is fun and thrilling because it’s a video game and the mechanics have been designed for that. You kill the enemy soldiers and rather than being wracked with guild or traumatized you – much as with killing a demon in the above example – are rewarded in both gameplay terms (ammo, health, not having an enemy shoot at you) and in narrative terms (you progress towards whatever your objective or goal is). Then, in the next story portion you’re yanked back to “war is hell” messaging.

Note that none this is new. This is basically film criticism 101, only there it’s usually a clash between major themes and genre conventions. You can often see this in action movies that whipsaw between an over-arching story about how war is bad and thrilling set piece action scenes that aren’t presented in a way that the audience is to understand them as horrifying or awful. If you want to see a great example of this in film look at the 2008 Rambo. The first bit of the movie is super dour and about genocide, then we go to crazy Rambo set piece action with violence that is so over-the-top that it can’t be interpreted as anything but :krad: in an action movie sense, then right after the final battle we have comically extended emotional “looking in anguish across the battlefield” schmaltz. There’s a level of discord between what the film outright tells us we should think (genocide is bad, Rambo is a hosed up vet, violence is awful) and what it shows us ( :haw: holy poo poo he just decapitated a guy with his bare hands OMFG THIS IS AWESOME :black101: ).

This problem is exacerbated when there are outside elements in most viewers or players that tell them how to interpret what they’re seeing, which is where you get in trouble with Germany in WW2. Even in games as devoid of plot and narrative (well, written – we can talk about emergent narrative later) as your typical strategy game many people are left feeling ill at ease playing as Germany. If you fire up Hearts of Iron you’re looking at a map of Europe in 1935, your leader portrait is Hitler, and yet the gameplay actively rewards you for being the best 1935 Nazi Germany you can be. However, as someone with more than a middle school education, you’re aware of things like the Holocaust and the general shittyness of Nazis, even if the game isn’t making that explicit as part of the gameplay or narrative. Interestingly HOI has tried to side-step this issue in recent times by putting in regime change mechanics, which means that if you choose to play as the Nazis (rather than a government following a communist, democratic, or even non-Nazi right wing authoritarian government) it’s your conscious choice.

So in a hypothetical WW2 shooter featuring a German campaign you, the game designer, are caught on the horns of a dilemma. You can craft the over-arching narrative all you want to make the game about the experience of the average Joe or even delve into anti-nazi “wow the gov’t really hosed us” messaging, but if you do your job and make the gameplay fun then you’ve just made it fun to be a soldier killing Americans/Russians/Brits/etc on behalf of a genocidal regime, which is where the discomfort kicks in.

Now consider something like the recent Wolfenstein games. Part of the reason they’re satisfying is because everything works together, much as in the earlier Doom example. BJ is an almost comically over the top hosed up vet but it’s played straight and directly informs his decisions in the game. Nazis loving suck and ruined his life, so he’s killing Nazis. In-game the act of killing Nazis is fun because the people who designed the game play did a good job, and having fun killing those Nazis reinforces the over-all “killing these loving Nazis is a good thing” narrative of the game. This is further reinforced by elements outside the game, namely the player living in society where they have absorbed the message that yeah, Nazis suck. So when you plant a hatchet into the face of a Nazi it’s fun on gameplay terms, it works narratively, and you as a player have no qualms because gently caress Nazis.

One thing I would note is that this is something a clever person can play with. Film makers have been toying with this kind of conflict between what’s represented overtly and what’s visible on the screen for the better part of a century. Game designers are starting to also, but sometimes with mixed results. Spec Ops: The Line is the best example of this off the top of my head. Part of what got everyone in a tizzy was the game straight up telling you “you’re committing war crimes” and then making committing war crimes fun and rewarding in a gameplay sense. People argue over how good the gameplay was (it was pretty bog standard 2010s cover shooter) but set that aside for a moment and imagine if it had the most compelling, fun gameplay ever. It’s that conscious clash between gameplay message and narrative message that people were excited about, in part because it was a video game doing something that was slightly more complex and sophisticated than your average triple A title. This sort of thing is what critics think about at night when they touch themselves, which is why it got all that attention.

So, yeah, it’s probably not impossible to make a game about WW2 Germans that isn’t poo poo or feels wrong. The problem is that it probably takes a lot more finesse and risk taking than your average huge studio is comfortable with because with a 100M+ budget you need to make drat sure that you get a good enough ROI to justify being in business.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yay my thread back. I was hoping the next iteration would have a couple reserved posts so that effortposts from the previous thread(s?) could have a home at the top of the thread and maybe one for the upcoming effortposts too but I don't care too much.

What I am currently hoping is if someone remembered that medieval or maybe early modern battle where they drove huge spikes into the beach to stop the fleet like giant abatis? There was an amazing painting of it. I think it involved the Spanish, or maybe french.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm wary of giving Best specifically credit because he was an utter piece of poo poo who was a major Gestapo member, oversaw the Night of the Long Knives, and rounded up a fuckton of French Jews even if he let the Danish ones off the hook for purely pragmatic reasons. He was an avid believer in all the racial theories of the Nazis. He was a real lovely person even by the standards of his time, whereas someone like Lincoln who might look bad today at least has the excuse of being born and raised in a world that pushed poo poo ideology onto them and still managed to be a progressive compared to contemporaries. Best doesn't. Yes, it is good that he let the Danes off. But I just don't feel comfortable praising one of Reinhard Heydrich's deputies for pretty much anything.

Yeah the thing about Best's story is that it's a reminder that Nazi Germany was in a constant struggle between the ideological drivers and competition between the hardcore Nazis, and the people who wanted an efficient functioning country.

Understanding that contrast is important to understanding the inner tensions between the elites an an authoritarian regime, but it's important not to forget that Best's objective was an efficient functioning country that could murder millions of people. His eye might have been on the ball but it was still an evil ball.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JcDent posted:

Gonna make a tachanka/technical tshirt someday.

Just make it a black one, okay? Leninists can't Tachanka. In fact, make that the slogan!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The soviets also halted deliberately till the uprising was finished, and helpfully arrested the british mission. You know, the mission of the only country that actually tried to help.

But that was For The People. Never mind how the uprising began because The People were prepared for the Red Army to advance and liberate and that’s why the drat thing happened.

Hasn't this been basically been proven to be false? The Soviets were at the end of their supply lines after Bagration and they learned really early in the war the problem with getting over aggressive and pushing offensives too far.

They had the option of mounting a risky offensive towards Warsaw to help an army that didn't particularly like them very much or they could secure their bridgeheads over the Bug River, which was facing German resistance at the time. Not really a hard choice

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yay my thread back. I was hoping the next iteration would have a couple reserved posts so that effortposts from the previous thread(s?) could have a home at the top of the thread and maybe one for the upcoming effortposts too but I don't care too much.

What I am currently hoping is if someone remembered that medieval or maybe early modern battle where they drove huge spikes into the beach to stop the fleet like giant abatis? There was an amazing painting of it. I think it involved the Spanish, or maybe french.
siege of la rochelle, french royalists and the dutch v huguenots and the english, 1627/28

edit: the painting is 19th c

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 24, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ninjewtsu posted:

I have a kind of general question: how did new swords get developed? Like obviously when it's time to actually make them a blacksmith does it, but who's the guy that figures out "if the sword is curved more it'll be more effective at slashing and against the armor and weapons in this time period this width and length would best" and how does that guy go about figuring it out? Did the roman empire have a military R&D department? When a dude had a new idea about how a sword should be shaped, how would that guy go about convincing an army to manufacture enough of those swords to outfit a bunch of soldiers and use an unproven weapon in battle to see if it works? Were there mock fights to help test different blade shapes?

Some noble or chieftain wanted more length, curve, or thickness and told his smith to craft him a new one.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

siege of la rochelle, french royalists and the dutch v huguenots and the english, 1627/28

edit: the painting is 19th c

A great painting. Click the gray square for bigger size.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the thing about Best's story is that it's a reminder that Nazi Germany was in a constant struggle between the ideological drivers and competition between the hardcore Nazis, and the people who wanted an efficient functioning country.
also you cant run a functioning country and be a serious nazi at the same time, not only because of the racism but because part of the fascist ideology (if it is an ideology, or a single thing :can:) is the belief that you can overcome any obstacle by wanting to really hard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

A Typical Goon posted:

Hasn't this been basically been proven to be false? The Soviets were at the end of their supply lines after Bagration and they learned really early in the war the problem with getting over aggressive and pushing offensives too far.

They had the option of mounting a risky offensive towards Warsaw to help an army that didn't particularly like them very much or they could secure their bridgeheads over the Bug River, which was facing German resistance at the time. Not really a hard choice

Yep, it was all a bug coincidence that the soviet advance halted and then waited to take the v important city till after anyone who could stop them was dead and the whole city razed by nazis, and besides the Home Army was ~anti-soviet~ and all the soviets did was invade them alongside the nazis then immediately occupy the whole country for 45 years.

As a french I’m glad that the anglo-american response to the Paris rising and de Gaulle charging in was “well ok” and not “but what if that might lead to them contesting NATO”

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 24, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plane-crash-on-101-freeway-california-today-2018-10-23-live-updates/

This is somewhat amusing. (No one got hurt)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep, it was all a bug coincidence that the soviet advance halted and then waited to take the v important city till after anyone who could stop them was dead and the whole city razed by nazis, and besides the Home Army was ~anti-soviet~ and all the soviets did was invade them alongside the nazis then immediately occupy the whole country for 45 years.

As a french I’m glad that the anglo-american response to the Paris rising and de Gaulle charging in was “well ok” and not “but what if that might lead to them contesting NATO”

The Red Army began airlifting supplies and communications equipment to the uprising forces as soon as representatives crossed the river and established contact. Not just token scraps, either, significant amounts of weapons and ammunition. This effort continued for two weeks and cost the Red Army a number of aircraft.

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2018/10/supply-drop.html

Seems like a pretty big commitment for a ruse.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In When Titans Clashed, David Glantz is of the opinion that the Soviets couldn't reasonably have saved the Warsaw Uprising even if they wanted to (which they didn't). The same view is expressed in Russia's War by Richard Overy. Overy uses Titans as a source extensively though, so he may have gotten it from Glantz. Both of these authors are critical of the Soviet regime, so it's not as if these views are motivated by tankie ideologism.

It's a simplistic mistake to view this in terms of a binary "they let the uprising be crushed" and "they were completely incapable of stopping it". The RA was exhausted after Bagration, which had seen them advance hundreds of kilometers - They needed time to consolidate and recuperate. They probably could have stormed Warsaw, but because of their depleted state the cost would have been huge.

So as far as Uncle Joe is concerned, he can either a) Take Warsaw now with way bigger casualties than necessary in order to save rebels he's not terribly sorry to see crushed anyway or b) Take Warsaw later with less casualties.

It's not a case of the RA halting their advance in order for the Nazis to crush the uprising, it's a case of the RA being unwilling to overextend and alter their plans in order to save the uprising, because they just didn't care a whole bunch if that particular brand of partisan was killed.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

and helpfully arrested the british mission. You know, the mission of the only country that actually tried to help.

Can you give me some more information about this ?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ChubbyChecker posted:

A great painting. Click the gray square for bigger size.
several threads ago someone described richelieu in this painting as "some kind of catholic darth vader"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arban posted:

Can you give me some more information about this ?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ecember&f=false

The Brits sent a special forces team to spy on the situation in December, way after everything was over, and the team was captured when the Soviets restarted their advance.

In terms of the overall situation it's probably reasonable to say that the Soviets were pretty happy to see the uprising fail, and certainly weren't gonna stick their neck out to have it succeed. But it's too much of a conspiracy theory to declare the entire situation was a plot to get rid of the opposition. That would require the cooperation of not just the Soviets but also the Poles and the Germans.

I mean, whatever the Poles thought when they launched the uprising, the Germans certainly didn't think Warsaw was about to fall in a matter of days. It does not make sense for them to invest substantial force into crushing the rebellion otherwise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a really good painting but I might have misremembered it. I thought the spikes were much further in the background. Also was it part of the wider 30 yw or was its own separate poo poo? If the latter was the whole of the continent just primed to go off in the early c17th or what.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Also was it part of the wider 30 yw or was its own separate poo poo? If the latter was the whole of the continent just primed to go off in the early c17th or what.
it was its own seperate poo poo, the answer might be yes, and we've been trying to figure out if so/why ever since some russian woman whose name i forget coined the phrase "crisis of the 17th century."

edit: it wasn't hobsbawm! it was a russian, it was slightly before hobsbawm used the phrase, and i cannot remember her loving name

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 24, 2018

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

several threads ago someone described richelieu in this painting as "some kind of catholic darth vader"

I love this painting of du Tremblay.

https://imgur.com/a/uwFuDEy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

I mean, whatever the Poles thought when they launched the uprising, the Germans certainly didn't think Warsaw was about to fall in a matter of days. It does not make sense for them to invest substantial force into crushing the rebellion otherwise.

Hitler didn't think anywhere was about to fall in a matter of days.

It's really important for the history of WW2 not to forget how much of a disaster August 1944 was for the German army - Bagration has just destroyed AGS and taken the Soviets all the way to the edges of Warsaw in one leap, in the West COBRA has just started and German forces there are about to collapse. It really did look to many (possibly most) observers that the regime was on the brink of total collapse.

Germany was only able to hold on to Warsaw because reinforcements arrived 5 days after the uprising started as part of the general counter-attack to restore the line - but they can't have known the Soviets were stopping at the Vistula or that they'd be successful at counter attacking if they didn't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Hitler didn't think anywhere was about to fall in a matter of days.

They had a plan for evacuating and demolishing Paris. The security unit in charge of garrisoning the city got no reinforcements. Prague was in a similar situation where the Germans saw that holding the city was untenable and evacuated. Warsaw was planned to be fortified, however and had been in the process of being fortified for a while at the time. Those reinforcements didn't come from nowhere, the Russians were never gonna be able to just saunter in there absent the uprising. Basically my assertion here is that the Polish misread the strategic situation. It's not a crazy mistake to make, as you say, but it's not a situation the Soviets specifically manufactured to gently caress them over.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 24, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

Bagration has just destroyed AGS

AGC :mil101: (south from Center at that time were Army Groups North Ukraine and South Ukraine)

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Nenonen posted:

AGC :mil101: (south from Center at that time were Army Groups North Ukraine and South Ukraine)

Although in fairness the Soviets also destroyed army groups South that month in a separate offensive.

As the previous poster said, summer of 1944 was a bloodbath for axis forces everywhere. Rome was lost, the elite Panzer divisions in France were chewed up and mostly destroyed, the Combine Fleet in the Pacific was sent to the bottom, and the whole German front in the east basically dissolved.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Reading old newspapers from those months is just great. It’s headline after headline about the axis getting their teeth kicked in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reading old newspapers from those months is just great. It’s headline after headline about the axis getting their teeth kicked in.

I assume that depends which side's newspapers you read :shobon:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, it’s pretty great reading it from the other end too. Just a lot more “were bravely counterattacking to the rear!” propaganda BS to filter but hey that’s fun too.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ninjewtsu posted:

I have a kind of general question: how did new swords get developed? Like obviously when it's time to actually make them a blacksmith does it, but who's the guy that figures out "if the sword is curved more it'll be more effective at slashing and against the armor and weapons in this time period this width and length would best" and how does that guy go about figuring it out? Did the roman empire have a military R&D department? When a dude had a new idea about how a sword should be shaped, how would that guy go about convincing an army to manufacture enough of those swords to outfit a bunch of soldiers and use an unproven weapon in battle to see if it works? Were there mock fights to help test different blade shapes?

Depends on the time period. Once you have "model" types, militaries are developing swords via various means. Be it a recognized expert, general, etc and subject to all of the politics weapons development can involve.

Before that, its a combination of trial and error and tradition, with the use of the sword ending up dictating its shape and design. You can look at the development of armor in europe and then look at the blade shape changes and see how guys in armor led to pointier swords since your goal against them was either trying to break mail links with a really hard stab, or sliding the point into joints or the visor or whatever. So more people got swords with points.

Before modern militaries with issued weapons, sword styles were dictated by the use, but there was no "model" of a sword, just a general style. That's why classifying swords is hard, because in period, there was normally no hard and fast rule for what sword counted as what, since very often the name we use to describe a sword either just meant "sword" ie "Gladius" or there was no "name" given and inventories just list them as "sword" or "big sword" or "two handed sword."

You can find what we call "zweihanders" or "montantes" now that range from like 4lbs to almost 10lbs, with even bigger versions that were likely not intended for real fighting but parade, like earlier bearing swords. You also have a spectrum of swords called "rapiers" that go from what we call "side swords" (pretty much a longsword with a rapier handle), to the fancy super long, super thin, super complex hilted rapiers you think of with The Musketeers.

So basically, before modern militaries, people colloquially knew what kind of sword they supposed to muster with, but what they actually brought was dictated by cost, style, and their own preference. Maybe they bring grandpa's old sword because they are poor, or because they think it looks cool. They might buy the fanciest, latest style from a local blacksmith, or maybe they contract one that looks similar to what everyone else has but the blade is weighted different or has a different handle. Possibly they are outfitted by their lord due to being in his personal guard, or a really rich guy outfits a regiment because he can, or you are lucky and its a period of history like under the Romans where the state provided the arms.

Countdown to Rodrigo telling me everything I said is wrong and then I learn as much as you do.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

In the same vein....there's a palpable change in tone in the other direction over the winter of 44/45 as the Bulge and Iwo Jima go down. People were thinking that these represented the first phase of the death throes of the Axis countries, and everyone was convinced that things would get way worse as we got closer and closer to the respective homelands. Okinawa and the assaults on the Siegfried Line in the spring made it seem even more dire.

...then Nazi Germany just sort of dissolved and the atomic bombs happened.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Italian army in WWII?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on the Italian army in WWII?

Are you looking more for a book detailing uniforms, tactics, high-ranking officers, and more as a catch-all book, or something more narrative, or something that only focuses on one front/battle/campaign?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

This reminds me of one of my favourite history tidbits, Paris newspaper headlines as Napoleon returns from Elba

quote:

March 9

THE ANTHROPOPHAGUS HAS QUITTED HIS DEN

March 10

THE CORSICAN OGRE HAS LANDED AT CAPE JUAN

March 11

THE TIGER HAS ARRIVED AT CAP

March 12

THE MONSTER SLEPT AT GRENOBLE

March 13

THE TYRANT HAS PASSED THOUGH LYONS

March 14

THE USURPER IS DIRECTING HIS STEPS TOWARDS DIJON

March 18

BONAPARTE IS ONLY SIXTY LEAGUES FROM THE CAPITAL

He has been fortunate enough to escape his pursuers

March 19

BONAPARTE IS ADVANCING WITH RAPID STEPS, BUT HE WILL NEVER ENTER PARIS

March 20

NAPOLEON WILL, TOMORROW, BE UNDER OUR RAMPARTS

March 21

THE EMPEROR IS AT FONTAINEBLEAU

March 22

HIS IMPERIAL AND ROYAL MAJESTY arrived yesterday evening at the Tuileries, amid the joyful acclamation of his devoted and faithful subjects

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I smile every time thinking of those newspaper headlines.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I have got to use 'Anthropophagus' more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I have got to use 'Anthropophagus' more often.

I had to google it. Calling people "man-eater" is one hell of a insult.

I really enjoy how colourfully openly partisan old newspapers tend to be. The local left-wing newspaper's headline on June 23rd 1941 was "CLIQUE OF BRUTAL, VICIOUS WAR-CRAZED FASCISTS ATTACKS SOVIET UNION :byodood:", which is... not inaccurate.

When does the demand that journalists be not only factually accurate but also politically neutral come about?