Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dropping Hannah changes nothing, Beth reaches for the guy, the branch she's on breaks first and down she goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I really like the analysis part of the video at the end. Good job.

My only suggestion would be to get another look at all the photos and also the painting of the family, maybe there is something in comparing those that could be a clue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

This is the first video where I natively upped the brightness, so hopefully it won't look too dark anymore. As an aside, the chapter wrap-up stuff I did was almost all done at full brightness levels, to differentiate it from the main playthrough.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
I really love how you've been doing this LP, and it's great seeing your responses to things.

And especially how the jumpscares seem to work even when you're prepared for them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Tindalos posted:

I really love how you've been doing this LP, and it's great seeing your responses to things.

And especially how the jumpscares seem to work even when you're prepared for them.

With SO MANY jumpscares, some of them are bound to work on me. Usually when I get the feeling it's not just a jumpscare and it's something that's gonna cause some poo poo to happen.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

The brightness is much better now. Thanks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm kind of surprised that the Ouija Board actually "worked."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the Ouija Board actually "worked."

We're just going all over the place with what kinda horror genre this game wants to be, apparently.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Oh that was an excellent cliffhanger to end on. Way to keep us eager for the next installment.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

If the game follows the previous trend, we will play as another character going through completely different things for a while before going back to check on Jessica.

I don't know whether to applaud the game for keeping suspense or to shame it for ruining the momentum.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 18, 2018

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Now I'm REALLY missing your update schedule from THPS4.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh that was an excellent cliffhanger to end on. Way to keep us eager for the next installment.

Originally I went into the next part and then closed out the video, but I decided "Yeah, nobody's gonna care about anything after that." and just cut it.

1234567890num posted:

If the game follows the previous trend, we will play as another character going through completely different things for a while before going back to check on Jessica.

I don't know whether to applaud the game for keeping suspense or to shame it for ruining the momentum.

I'll be very interested to hear what you think when the next video gets posted.

Aumanor posted:

Now I'm REALLY missing your update schedule from THPS4.

By doing a vid a week, I'm trying to both maintain a schedule people will be familiar with (Oh, it's Monday! There's a new Until Dawn tonight), and try to make sure I don't run out of stuff to post. Recording is a luxury for me at the moment, editing can be quite time consuming with some of these videos. I just don't want to get ahead of myself by posting like 3 videos in a week, then have no idea when I'll be able to make more, ya know?

Also, that song in this video? The one that's already played 2 times in the game before this? It's apparently a real song, and not a made-up imitation Macy Gray song for the game like I originally thought. And I found this out by my video being auto-flagged for copyright.

If the song shows up again, remind me to talk A LOT over it.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 19, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ah gently caress I could never play any horror but luckily I can barely stand you playing it!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

Ah gently caress I could never play any horror but luckily I can barely stand you playing it!

I typically stay away from horror games too. However, I'd say my issue is more with survival horror than just horror in general, but it seems most horror games are done in that style. Or they're just low-effort jumpscare poo poo.

This game seemed different enough that I wanted to check it out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Delayed posting this week's video since I expected nobody to be watching with Christmas Eve/Day going on. Here, have it now.

Also might be delayed next week too, on account of not having opportunities to record New Years.

But yeah, hey, another chapter finished! Things are certainly getting crazy here, but I'm going to hold off on another wrap-up/speculation thing until at least the next chapter. In the meantime though, let's hear from you guys about your OWN character rankings! Who is your favorite character, and why is it Mike? Is there ANY way to feel any kind of sympathy/empathy for Emily so make her NOT the worst? Is there actually someone worse than Emily? Should I feel bad that Emily will be sacrificed if need be, without even thinking about it?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Okay so we've got Flamethrower Man, Weird Maybe Wendigo Creature In The Woods and now Clown Mask Dude who based on the whole elaborate "balloons with arrows on"-thing is probably some Saw-esque psycho who really likes playing with his victims.

Personally, I'd say Chris and Mike are my favourites so far for having a sense of humour and actually doing poo poo. Jessica won some points by revealing herself to actually have a bit of depth. Ashley feels like the sort of character who's going to spend every high-tension moment weeping and panicking and not doing anything except needing to get dragged out of the way of everything dangerous. Matt's name is appropriate because he's a goddamn doormatt. Josh feels like some sort of barely-contained psychopath, like he's on drugs or otherwise has some issue that's just inches from bursting out if you say the wrong words.

Also if there's shady stuff in the house, I can't really imagine anyone other than Josh who'd know about it or be in on it, like who else has been in the house in the interval, who could possibly know about any of the secret rooms, etc.. Not to mention, we saw Chris and Ashley when we busted in on Clownyman, but where was Josh? Didn't even see him out cold anywhere. Maybe he is the Clownyman and this whole thing is just gonna be his hosed up Saw-style revenge plot for hurting his sisters.

But also, ha ha, yes, why the gently caress did no one turn on the power when they were loving around in the basement anyway?

It also occurs to me that even though the fall at the start had a choice which probably wouldn't change whether or not the sisters fell... maybe it'd change who you contacted during the seance. Like obviously one of them would be Very Dead, but maybe if the other one's alive or something in the spooky woods, she's the one you wouldn't contact.

Really looking forward to Action Mike here, 99% sure we're gonna get another aiming minigame where if you aim wrong or fire rather than holding your fire you blow Jessica's brains out rather than the monster's. It seems like the sort of thing this game would do, especially since by now it's conditioned us to remember we shouldn't just blaze away at everything we see.

So my theory at this point is:

One of the sisters survived, at the bottom of a ravine, in the winter, with her sister's corpse. Had to eat human flesh to survive, became a Wendigo, and whenever we're seeing the Red Spooky Vision, it's her and she's acting out of equal parts revenge and hunger for human flesh.

Josh has, without knowing one of his sisters is still technically alive, gone completely off the loving deep end and is acting out his own weird revenge plot as Clownyman at the same time.

Flamethrower Guy has some native-related grudge against the Washington family, but isn't actually out to kill anyone, just to scare them and maybe burn down their property so whitey will stop leaving burger wrappers and drink cans on his ancestral lands. Probably knows sinister native majycks that can be used against the Wendigo.

And I bet the escaped guy/dude who threatened the family is Flamethrower Guy.

Of course, this also depends on how much the game changes based on your early choices. It could be that Clownyman could be multiple characters, could be Josh, could be the escaped convict, etc. depending on how you react to stuff.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, Mike really surprised me as a character. In a game full of stock horror movie characters, they plainly set him up as rear end in a top hat Jock. Then he actually gets growth and poo poo

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
It's almost kinda a shame that this one doesn't have the statistics that David Cage puts in his games lately.. I'd actually be kinda interested in the percentage breakdowns of people who took certain decisions along the way, at the end of the game

Plus, I'm curious if 99.9% of people really hate Emily

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

FluffySquirrel posted:

It's almost kinda a shame that this one doesn't have the statistics that David Cage puts in his games lately.. I'd actually be kinda interested in the percentage breakdowns of people who took certain decisions along the way, at the end of the game

Plus, I'm curious if 99.9% of people really hate Emily

I thought it did, when I played it there were percentages, maybe they're not playing online.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's a menu option you have to manually turn on. Which makes sense, seems like having that on by default would be kind of screwy for a first playthrough. "99% of players think doing this is a bad idea? Well then."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, community statistics is an option I have turned off. I didn't want it to have any influence on how I'm playing through the game.

For the second playthrough, I can turn it on.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I'm curious what the psychiatrists lines are for picking anyone that's not Emily, because that is all I've ever heard.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I think I've chosen Jess before, and Josh. Josh gets something like "Don't be too hard on him, he's been through a lot." Jess is along the lines of "Try considering maybe she wants you to dislike her"

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Ah drat you're kidding me, I had no idea about that.. .. ah well, you're probably right that you wouldn't want to know the first time you're playing

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FluffySquirrel posted:

Ah drat you're kidding me, I had no idea about that.. .. ah well, you're probably right that you wouldn't want to know the first time you're playing

It kinda feels like I'd be told the "right" and "wrong" choices to make and start skewing my own judgement. Especially since it seems like the majority of choice here is picking one of two responses. David Cage games seem to have not only more response choices, but the actions you take also have a bigger impact.

Just two different ways of doing interactive storytelling, so I'm not saying one is better than the other. Just that in terms of seeing statistics, I'd feel like there'd be a bigger impact in seeing them in Until Dawn for a blind playthrough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Probably the best thing about Until Dawn is that the original characterizations of characters don't hold once the poo poo hits the fan. Except for Emily, she just sucks all the way through.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Even the first time I watched this game, I called that we'd switch to another character after seeing that Jessica's in trouble.

I probably would've chosen Mike as my most hated character. He's basically THE one who causes Hannah to run off (Jess is the one who came up with the plan, but Mike is the bait) and he didn't think much about it at all (or at least there's a choice for him to be dismissive).

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Nah, I don't really blame Mike for that.. any more than I blame any of them involved in the 'prank' .. it was stupid and hurtful and they're all kinda dicks for doing that.. but at same time, Hannah wasn't exactly innocent, given she was trying to steal Emily's boyfriend, and running off into a snowy mountain, at night, with no light or suitable clothing.. is kinda on Hannah really, not the most proportional of responses. Maybe just lock yourself in the bathroom or your room or something?

That said, one thing did just occur to me. If Sam really did want to stop them doing it, why the hell didn't she just stand outside the room, instead of looking for Hannah. You knew where the prank was going to take place

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

FluffySquirrel posted:

That said, one thing did just occur to me. If Sam really did want to stop them doing it, why the hell didn't she just stand outside the room, instead of looking for Hannah. You knew where the prank was going to take place

The way things cut makes this a bit weird. We see them all hanging out and creating/placing the note, then we see Hannah meeting with Mike. The passage of time isn't very clear here, nor are the events that would've lead to Hannah getting the note.

It's also possible that since everyone is friends here, Sam didn't exactly want to poo poo on everything and have everyone think of her as a bitch, so she was taking more of a bystander role in letting it play out.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So... Is ths LP dead or what?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

So... Is ths LP dead or what?

Nope, it's not.

I post about my goings on on my Twitter so I don't clutter up my threads with non-updates. Recording opportunities have been few and far between of late, so I kinda took January off to try and build up a backlog.

I hope to have videos going again by next week. I've almost finished recording In Cold Blood, and will be getting at least one recording session in for Until Dawn hopefully over the next couple days.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Heck yeah, looking forward to more updates.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
We're back!

OK see you again in another month BYEEEEEEEE

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yaaaaaaaaaaay it's back and holy poo poo that was a lot of poo poo going down. I love how the game also doesn't tell you the immediate consequences of your actions, like. Clearly if you took it slow with Mike, less/no QTE's, but would it have massively changed Jess' circumstances and what happened to/with her? No one knoooooooooows.

Also I'm gonna say, direct it towards Josh. We saw Ashley's head go bouncing, so I'm gonna guess that maybe Josh has some sort of Plot Invincibility. Or there's gonna be some way to save them both after you trigger it, some QTE's or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey here's a fun thing.

I just learned that there is an entire section of the game that is unavailable in regular versions of the game. You either need a pre-order code to access it, or purchase an "Extended Edition" of the game that was released overseas.

This section happens at the end of Chapter 2 and features Matt and Emily (remember them?) and seems to be significant enough that it's kind of a dick move to make part of the story a pre-order exclusive kinda deal.

So naturally, I just bought the Extended Edition off eBay. DON'T JUDGE ME I'M DOING THIS FOR YOU.

What I would LIKE to do is include this as part of the next chapter wrap-up... which is unfortunately the next video. And it's apparently going to take a month for this copy to be delivered to me, which would mean another hiatus for this LP. Or I could continue along like this never existed, and include it as a bonus in a later video, possibly as part of the second playthrough that I have planned, where it might feel even more out of place than it already will be.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I keep wondering: Is it possible to save everyone in this game? And I like that not even this is explained.
Of course the player's instinct is to try and have everyone survive, but the game doesn't even let you know if this is a possibility if you had just turned left instead of right 30 minutes ago or if it's just a pipe dream.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

PurpleXVI posted:

Yaaaaaaaaaaay it's back and holy poo poo that was a lot of poo poo going down. I love how the game also doesn't tell you the immediate consequences of your actions, like. Clearly if you took it slow with Mike, less/no QTE's, but would it have massively changed Jess' circumstances and what happened to/with her? No one knoooooooooows.

That particular scene does have immediate consequences if you take all the slow paths.

The extra scene from the extended edition really doesn't add a huge amount, it really just confirms something that's implied anyway earlier than the regular version. It's easy to miss too.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

kjetting posted:

I keep wondering: Is it possible to save everyone in this game? And I like that not even this is explained.
Of course the player's instinct is to try and have everyone survive, but the game doesn't even let you know if this is a possibility if you had just turned left instead of right 30 minutes ago or if it's just a pipe dream.

The developers talked a lot about both of these things pre-release. I won't get into them here in case the spoiler policy is really that strict, but they were what got me really interested.

I've spoiled myself on a lot of stuff but not the extra scene so I wouldn't mind seeing it, and I imagine/hope it would play out different were Matt allowed to look through the binoculars. You've already surmised that playtime is over, so shoehorned jump scares and dumb arguments from Chapter 2 are going to feel out of place but who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd like to see the EXTENDED CONTENT but I feel like I'd rather not wait another month for an update, so bonus/second-playthrough update for it, please.