Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The mechanics of that chase sequence and what happens to Jessica in proportion to how much you screw up is interesting, but I guess kind of a spoiler. Suffice it to say that yeah, that is an instance where the plot can branch depending on what you did.

Honestly I kind of like how (sometimes) the game will reward you for not playing super optimally. Like Jessica wouldn't have had that moment where she fesses up to putting on the bimbo act if you hadn't irritated her to a degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

You've already surmised that playtime is over, so shoehorned jump scares and dumb arguments from Chapter 2 are going to feel out of place but who cares.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'd like to see the EXTENDED CONTENT but I feel like I'd rather not wait another month for an update, so bonus/second-playthrough update for it, please.

Fair points. I was feeling awfully frustrated about this last night, as I'm trying to ultimately have a "complete playthrough" to show off, only to find out there is this one segment that I'm totally locked out of. I did look it up, and I feel like its moment has passed for the sake of the story, but it feels significant in that we've seen barely anything of Matt and Emily and it gives them a bit more character. I'll just worry about it for a second playthrough, as if it was an alternate path to explore through different choices.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Huh, didn't know there was a missed out scene, but that does explain why Matt and Emily do seem to sorta have little happen to them for a chunk of time

Yeah, I'd also say do it in the second run. If just to show off how things might differ for people who didn't have that edition, give them the 'standard' experience first. Am curious whether it would have changed any opinions on the characters.. probably not though

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

I wasn't expecting my copy of the Extended Edition to arrive until sometime next month. I just got it today.

The content is on the discs, but locked until you use a redemption code that comes in the case. Despite this being a used copy, and despite there being a warning that the code expires 1 year after purchase, I was able to set up a UK PSN account and redeem it. At some point, I'll try and see if the code is recognized on the US PS Store, and if it applies to my digital and/or physical copies of the US version.

About the wrap-up: No theorizing this time. I had SOME thoughts I considered sharing, but I couldn't find enough evidence in the game to back them up, so it was just baseless speculation rather than sharing observations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I wonder what would've happened if you hadn't actually moved the switch, it looks like it would've gone for Ashley, but who knows? Could've been that it was a ~moral test~.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Peter Stormare is the creepiest thing in this game by miles

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Reminder that everything happening with Chris, Ashley, Josh, and the Saw ripoff take place while Sam was taking a bath. She didn't notice any noise (or if she did notice, she did absolutely nothing about it).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bit of a slower episode since we're just wandering around and collecting clues, but those clues are bringing a picture into focus on what exactly might be going on here.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I think it's something like "clean in body, clean in mind." Or something similar, maybe "healthy mind in a healthy body," on that Latin sign.

But yeeeaaaaah, seems kinda obvious that the miners decided to munch on each other, got weird, and the sanatorium had no idea what to really do.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I think maybe the miners took over the sanatorium and ate the inmates and the people working there, and maybe they are still around..

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I hope it's OK that I "called" a few things here. Remember a couple updates ago when I said I refrained from sharing some theories because I didn't have enough evidence to back them up? Well there's evidence now and I just couldn't help myself.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thank you Jamesman for thinking about the totem.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, that was a serious dogspook.

Also, I forget if you've mentioned it before, but what's the save system in the game? Can you save any time you want? Is it checkpoints? Save points?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, that was a serious dogspook.

Also, I forget if you've mentioned it before, but what's the save system in the game? Can you save any time you want? Is it checkpoints? Save points?

It exclusively uses auto-saves, and though I haven't experimented with it much, it saves frequently enough that you have pretty limited opportunities to cheese the system and "undo" things.

For example, the quicktime events where I'm playing as Mike and chasing after Jess. If I messed up and immediately quit the game, I'd be restarted at the beginning of the chapter and could try again. If I waited until after the quicktime events, where I have control of Mike again, I'd be at a point of no return.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yes, I'm happy that the jumpscare spooked you :unsmigghh:

I'm also happy that you actually took the time to think about the totem and the clues the game gave you. I don't mind you saying what your theory is. Part of the fun in a blind LP is seeing what crazy theory the LPer has.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

And I just wanna take one of those moments to beg for subs and follows. YouTube, Twitch, Twitter. All those good things.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think that first Puppy Prompt(tm) wasn't a pre-emptive petting, but attacking the dog or punching it, because it was a closed fist.

Also I'd be kind of amused if Mike did carry a bone along all the way.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, that's one of those mean "We're going to get you to kneejerk attack the scary thing but it actually doesn't mean you any harm" tricks

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Considering how things played out (along with Butterfly Effect), I pretty much figured that me being too startled to react was a good thing here.

But now I'm waiting for the moment where a situation like that actively fucks me up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oh deer, sorry for being a little late on posting this. My whole day has been me sleeping for an hour, waking up, tossing and turning forever until I fall asleep for another hour.

While I'm mildly coherent, I thought I'd let you know that I've finished my streams for Dark Souls 2. Last Wednesday, I played Super Mario Bros and Lost Levels, then played some more Lost Levels after DS2 on Saturday. This Wednesday, I'll be playing a little bit of a game that a developer was kind enough to send my way, and then going back to Lost Levels. Then Saturday, I'll be starting a playthrough of Hollow Knight. So if any of this interests you, you know where I'll be.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This section's really interesting just for having a lot of little ways it can play out depending on how you've been playing Matt. Emily can be peak Emily and refuse to help with anything (like sometimes she'll refuse to even try the window if you ask), sometimes she'll be halfway cooperative. All depends on what she thinks of Matt at the moment, which...can be incredibly fickle as Emily is an rear end in a top hat

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Matt's been good so far but I think possibly not 100% door-Matt, thus earning that Cole Phelpsian heel turn about the radio. Thanks Em!

Also get well soon and good luck keeping Matt at the correct elevation of the mountain. You're pretty mindful of totems/past events so it should be fine, right? :ohdear:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Suddenly, herd of murderdeer.

That felt a bit out of left field.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

Matt's been good so far but I think possibly not 100% door-Matt, thus earning that Cole Phelpsian heel turn about the radio. Thanks Em!

Part of me feels like she's just stressed out because of the psycho killer stuff. But geez, the game really doesn't want me to like Emily.

quote:

You're pretty mindful of totems/past events so it should be fine, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, about that...

Well, I shouldn't say too much. Let's just say there's a reason I'm gonna be showing off other things in a second playthrough.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'd like to take a moment and just ask you guys what you think of this LP so far. How am I doing? Anything you particularly like or don't like?

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

You seem to be doing fine so far.

If you'd hid with Sam and gotten away the clues in the next room would have given away whats happening, with the psycho at least.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I remember of all the many, many, many jumpscares in this game, that clock is the *one thing* that really got me

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm digging the LP so far, I'm hype for every single new update.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

1234567890num posted:

Reminder that everything happening with Chris, Ashley, Josh, and the Saw ripoff take place while Sam was taking a bath. She didn't notice any noise (or if she did notice, she did absolutely nothing about it).
Turns out she was just wearing headphones. That said, I'm not sure there's a good explanation for why she was in the bath for (according to the game timestamps) nearly two hours.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

tomanton posted:

Turns out she was just wearing headphones. That said, I'm not sure there's a good explanation for why she was in the bath for (according to the game timestamps) nearly two hours.

I mean, I can easily spend two hours in the bath if I have a good book, so I'm not really batting an eye. :v:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I can easily spend two hours in the bath if I have a good book, so I'm not really batting an eye. :v:
I guess as long as it's a book! I've known friends of friends who bring their phones and laptops to their soaks, and learn the hard way what repeated steaming does to electronics' lifespans...

Jamesman: the baseball bat would only be used there to bail Sam out had she hidden, which you already realized was the wrong choice at that moment.

That chase was the sequence they showed most often pre-release, and one thing the devs teased about it (and the game in general) was that the correct choice was always foreshadowed somehow. With your various successes and failures so far would you say that's been the case? PS the LP's fine and I like the thinking out loud.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

That chase was the sequence they showed most often pre-release, and one thing the devs teased about it (and the game in general) was that the correct choice was always foreshadowed somehow. With your various successes and failures so far would you say that's been the case? PS the LP's fine and I like the thinking out loud.

If you're asking if I feel like there were hints at how to handle the chase, I really can't think of anything. I've gotten all the totems up to this point, so there were no hints to be found there. I did my best to look around the house and didn't see anything that would suggest the best course of action. You might say "With all the opportunities to hide, at least one of them would have to picked!" but I think back to Mike chasing after Jess and needing to pick every fast option.

In fact, with what I'm pretty sure I know, running at every opportunity felt like the best option.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Jamesman posted:

If you're asking if I feel like there were hints at how to handle the chase, I really can't think of anything. I've gotten all the totems up to this point, so there were no hints to be found there. I did my best to look around the house and didn't see anything that would suggest the best course of action. You might say "With all the opportunities to hide, at least one of them would have to picked!" but I think back to Mike chasing after Jess and needing to pick every fast option.

In fact, with what I'm pretty sure I know, running at every opportunity felt like the best option.

If it's something that will kill the character it comes down to failing a QTE or not noting the hints available.

(With 2 very notable exceptions. One you can understand even if from gameplay terms it takes the piss, the other though... :argh: :argh: :argh:)

The chase with Sam and the Psycho isn't life or death, just how many clues you find before the reveal so it's a bit more obscure.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AND THEN THEY ALL loving DIED, THE END

Hahahah, I really did not see that coming.

I also wonder if the disposition of the deer depends on what you do earlier in the game. I seem to recall a couple of cases where you can antagonize the deer more or less, maybe if you've really pissed them off, you gotta get axe-happy to have any chance of getting out of there with one of the two alive.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

So we start the update with being cornered into a cliff by deers and end it with falling off a different cliff while inside a loving radio tower. It's ridiculous and I love it :allears:

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

PurpleXVI posted:

I also wonder if the disposition of the deer depends on what you do earlier in the game.
Yes it does. Jamesman said he might check out the new butterfly effects later, maybe it would be cool/worthwile to review all of them in light of everything that's happened, and before things get really hairy.

Speaking of which, congrats Jamesman on not doing an animal cruelty, and also for doing pretty well in general. You've made some v good observations I hope stress doesn't make you forget later.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Yes and no.

The deer are a bit more aggressive if you've 'angered nature' but they still won't attack you unless you attack first. There's a sign near the start which warns you that the deer won't attack unless you do first.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Good job Matt, I'm sure the guys who...just told you they aren't going to be anywhere near your location until morning will track that flare tootsweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I'm gonna start thinking about the second playthrough pretty soon, so if there are things you think I should be looking into and trying out, speak up now please (still no spoilers, mind you).

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 1, 2019