Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, much like the Jessica/Mike deal, that thing that just happened with Emily and Matt will have ramifications. However it goes, keep in mind it could have all been much different not only for the obvious choices (whether to save Emily's stupid rear end or not), but just how you'd been playing Matt before that point. Poor guy's fate is tied to Emily, and Emily is...fickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
A friend works airport security and apparently loves using powered doors to grief people who try and wander where they shouldn't. The banality of evil...

Here are some spoiler-free alternate choices that will make many things play out differently:

- Give completely different answers to Dr. Hill.
- Ashley lets Matt look through the binoculars.
- Be less push-in-the-river-y to Jess. Alternately, ruin her nature walk.
- Have Matt be against the trip to the fire tower.
- As Sam, fight back against the Psycho: throw the vase, and attack him out of each hiding place (stash the bat as usual for this).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'd love to see a non-doorMatt. Just never taking any of Emily's poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, it's worth saying that Emily actually reacts better if you *don't* let her walk all over you. To a point, anyway. She seems to have one of those personalities where it's like "I will give you a ton of poo poo and be a total jerk." "Well I'm not taking any of that." "Cool, you aren't a weenie, I respect that."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Indecisive and Impatient run: Don't stop to investigate anything not straight in front of you, pick up no totems, and when it's time to choose between Josh and Ashley, choose... but then don't move the lever at all.

(also having watched the last video before you've posted about it, I kind of wonder whether this is the sort of game where the actual monster and situation changes depending on your choices. Whether all the hints are there that it could be a psycho or ghosts or a wendigo, but depending on what you find and do, the ghosts turn out to be holograms, the wendigo was the psycho in a suit, the psycho got eaten by the wendigo, etc.)

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Everything right now is pointing to the general narrative remaining the same no matter your choices. The choices seem to affect how the characters react to that, and if they end up getting killed. I'd be very surprised if it turns out that the key elements of the game change depending on how you play it, especially because I have blown the door WIDE OPEN on something that I'll be covering in the Chapter Wrap-Up, which points to at least one major element always being the same.

Speaking of the Chapter Wrap-Up, there's a chance next week's video will be late on account of said door-blowing. I'm working on it, but we'll see. I will say there is a 100% definite spoiler being talked about in that video when we get to it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Apropos of probably nothing, but it's interesting that back during the first appearance of the ghost during the seance, no one even notices the thing. Hell, the only one who was even in a position to see it was Josh (it pops up behind Ashley and Chris), but he never looks up.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Having not spoiled myself on this sequence specifically, Chris and Ashley's adventure timestamps at 2:03 while the Matt/Emily hike to the fire tower begins at 2:21; it's possible that the house shaking was from the fire tower collapsing (2:43), which would be a really neat detail.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Apropos of probably nothing, but it's interesting that back during the first appearance of the ghost during the seance, no one even notices the thing. Hell, the only one who was even in a position to see it was Josh (it pops up behind Ashley and Chris), but he never looks up.

I didn't even notice it the first time. It was only on the second pass for the Chapter Wrap-Up that I was like "Wait... the gently caress was that?"

tomanton posted:

Having not spoiled myself on this sequence specifically, Chris and Ashley's adventure timestamps at 2:03 while the Matt/Emily hike to the fire tower begins at 2:21; it's possible that the house shaking was from the fire tower collapsing (2:43), which would be a really neat detail.

This is entirely possible and most likely correct. I imagine the locations are close enough that a giant fire tower collapsing and being swallowed into the earth would be felt in the area Chris and Ash are.

I was also thinking it could have been the explosion caused by Mike, since he's in the sanatorium and we're in an area connecting to there.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Oh cool, I never actually noticed the ghost appear behind them in the seance. That's one thing I do like about this game, there's lots of little details you can notice on other playthroughs

Here's a link for anyone else interested

As far as suggestions for next playthrough, think the others covered most of it.. you can spot the killer a bit if you keep an eye out carefully while moving round as Sam after her bath.
While heartbreaking, it might be interesting to see what happens with more of the wrong choices, like hitting the dog. Don't think I've ever actually seen anyone I follow do that, kinda curious what it changes. Might be worth doing some of the bad to nature stuff too and see how that ripples

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Angering nature really doesn't do much in the long run.
It can hinder Sam escaping the Psycho but that's it.
Kicking the dog slightly changes an upcoming chapter slightly but it's nothing important. It also locks you out of a trophy.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Come on, man.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

All the jump scares are starting to disappoint me.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

Come on, man.

If were talking about spoilers, I'll say TheKirbs' post is the extent I'm willing to allow. Vaguely talking about alternative options to events already seen is fine, though something I don't want every post to be (and it hasn't been).

The_Frag_Man posted:

All the jump scares are starting to disappoint me.

There's certainly more than I was expecting, but I do feel like we're veering away from them more, and I also feel like the majority of them have served a purpose. The ghost in the face though is... someone just REALLY wanted to shove a ghost in your face there.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The one jumpscare that consistently gets me in this game is that drat clock while Sam is wandering, and I couldn't even say why.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Apparently my thing is dogs and I couldn't really tell you why.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hi I'm back. The Chapter Wrap-Up ended up taking a bit longer than I had expected it too, and by the time I was finished with it, I figured it was just better to just hold off a few more days until Monday came back around.

There is a CHANCE that future updates will be a little more scattered as well, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Also, even though I kinda get heavy into "spoilers" at the end of the video, it's probably for the best that we don't discuss them in the thread. I put these things at the end of videos so people can opt out of that kinda information if they choose, so bringing it up here kinda defeats the purpose. And I'm bringing it up because we're at the point where my speculation is built on WAY more information available to us, and putting those pieces together is much more guaranteed to be right than wrong.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

To avoid spoilers.

Hope you did the right thing there, Jesus, though, you have to wonder... was it loaded with blanks, or real ammo?

Please use the air horn more.

Also HAW, called it. I'm the coolest videogame knower guy. Though drat those references were clever, never even suspected them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks Peter Stormare, the killer needed a name.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Peter Stormare is really killing it himself! Oh you beautifully crazy, scenery munching Swede.

I have to admit, I didn't have high expectations towards this game, but so far it seems really clever and interesting.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Welcome back! Peter Stormare coming out of his well to shame psycho-kind. Those poor pigs... :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
SURPRISE FRIDAY UPDATE

We'll talk about why this is up early in a bit. For now, just enjoy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Good to see your kill count just reset back to 0 (assuming Jessica is alive since we didn't see her body). And that you've managed to successfully identify the Psycho.

Emily's segment in the mines is where I warmed up to her. I mean, she's actually putting her 4.0 GPA to good use! :j:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It turns out Jessica faked her own death because she is, in fact, the guy with the flamethrower.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
The only nice thing I'll say about Emily is that she's definitely a survivor.

With all the negative connotations that would entail in real life

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, so the reason this is up early is because I wanted some more time for people to weigh in on how I'm looking at showing off some alternate choices before I fully commit to it. I was testing the waters with some subtle oddities in earlier videos but nobody said anything about those, and now only one person said anything about this video so far, so I figure it's just best to come out and say "There's a thing I'm doing in these videos. Please tell me what your thoughts are on it."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mostly I wasn't commenting on it since I thought your own silence on them was trying to encourage us not to spoil them or speculate on them. :v:

I think it's interesting, is probably the best way I can phrase it. Until you kick it into full go it's kind of hard to tell exactly how it'll pan out, but your editing chops seem solid enough to pull it off.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Yeah, being silent on it the first time round was what made me wonder if it was just a bit of a weird editing glitch or something

I thought it was pretty neatly done, doesn't really hurt to show off some of the different paths that maybe aren't worthy of putting in the normal route or such.

Am often interested in seeing the weirder or less common things that can happen.. I never feel like I have time to keep playing things over and over these days, and a lot of letsplayers tend to do the same things in story driven games, generally out of fear of making terrible choices I imagine.. so can be fun to see what's off the beaten path

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It seemed like a better idea than a full-on "Here's a bunch of other things you can do!" segment after the main playthrough, because I kinda thought people would be more or less done when we get to the end of the story. Throwing in little snippets of alternate options seemed like a better option, and editing them like this was a way to maybe have some fun with the viewer. A few seconds here and there when you might not be expecting them, giving you hints at what could have been.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

1234567890num posted:

Good to see your kill count just reset back to 0 (assuming Jessica is alive since we didn't see her body). And that you've managed to successfully identify the Psycho.

Emily's segment in the mines is where I warmed up to her. I mean, she's actually putting her 4.0 GPA to good use! :j:
It was really neat to listen to Jamesman puzzle out the psycho's identity and have seemingly almost nothing get by him. The only thing I didn't see in the speculation (maybe because it was a dead giveaway) is that every character's relationship shifts a bit after a certain therapy session choice, which may also have influenced whose eyes were slashed out in those photos.

Anyways, Emily is cool and good (sort of). She has a future as a stunt double if the girlfriendzilla thing doesn't work out.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

It was really neat to listen to Jamesman puzzle out the psycho's identity and have seemingly almost nothing get by him. The only thing I didn't see in the speculation (maybe because it was a dead giveaway) is that every character's relationship shifts a bit after a certain therapy session choice, which may also have influenced whose eyes were slashed out in those photos.

I actually totally missed this as I never really paid much attention to the character statuses. I only ever looked at those things when needing a moment or when something significant enough seemed to happen. Maybe it's for the best I didn't dwell on that too much, though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also it makes picking Josh as your least favorite character really hilarious just for how Doc Stormare reacts. He starts laughing and says something like "Oh, now I understand you better"

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Jamesman posted:

"There's a thing I'm doing in these videos. Please tell me what your thoughts are on it."

This is the first time I noticed it, but it's well done your editing is really good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The week's episode is late because I had an idea that ended up being way funnier in my head, and it took me far too long to realize that and scrap it. Also I kinda hosed up the entire project and had to start it all over.

Anyway, we're in the endgame now and that means a lot of poo poo happening and the need for me to get a lot of stuff done to wrap things up, so episodes will probably be a bit more sporadic going forward as a result. Nothing too drastic hopefully, but things leaning more towards skipping another week here and there as I finish the game a couple times and get some more alternate paths covered.

Also this episode was a bit heavy on clips, but I wouldn't expect that to become the norm.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think that one little glow bit you saw through the fence and got a bit frustrated over was the marker for the ring you picked up a bit earlier, visible through the chainlink fence.

I really have to wonder how the whole scenario would play out if you chose Ashley over Josh in that spinning saw encounter near the start. Because she doesn't have any wacky tricks to keep her alive, and it feels like that would completely annihilate Josh's plans unless the thing is rigged to always go for him no matter who Chris chooses.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

It is, the blade goes for Josh no matter who you choose, or if you don't choose at all.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah, and if he chose Ashley his reaction to her gratitude will be much different.

Also grats on figuring out the big twist, just make sure the kids figure it out too, and also good luck now that there are basically life-and-death situations in every scene :ohdear: How exactly are you doing your other playthroughs behind the scenes?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

How exactly are you doing your other playthroughs behind the scenes?

The blind playthrough is what you have been seeing this whole time.

The chapter wrap-up has been a second playthrough following the exact same steps of the first, OR me restarting the main playthrough.

The alternate scenes being spliced in is a third playthrough on the UK version of the game where I'm actively trying to go in a different direction with things.

I have played more of this game than anybody really should.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Now the ghost bit has always been slightly confusing to me, since they imply Josh set that up. But as noted earlier, during the first appearance of it the thing was situated in a way no one could even see it *but* Josh :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Now the ghost bit has always been slightly confusing to me, since they imply Josh set that up. But as noted earlier, during the first appearance of it the thing was situated in a way no one could even see it *but* Josh :iiam:

They could feel its presence, man.

Really, none of the ghost poo poo makes any sense. Unless the hole he drilled was into a pipe filled with hallucinogen gas.