Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jamesman posted:

The alternate scenes being spliced in is a third playthrough on the UK version of the game where I'm actively trying to go in a different direction with things.

Any notable differences in the UK version? I mean, aside from the different choices you make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

They could feel its presence, man.

Really, none of the ghost poo poo makes any sense. Unless the hole he drilled was into a pipe filled with hallucinogen gas.

I assumed the hole he drilled into it was for a projector or something, making the image of a ghost for a moment.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah the jumpscare/ghost thing has always seemed more shoehorned in by the developers and not something the Psycho did. There's flipping switches to make televisions and clocks go off, as well as elaborately planned gore sure. But then there are zombies and ghosts that move in perfect fidelity and can vanish in an instant no matter where they are, including inside a pair of mounted binoculars. :raise:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Any notable differences in the UK version? I mean, aside from the different choices you make.

I don't think there are any differences. I've seen a couple lines I don't recall in the other playthroughs, but that might just be the result of me doing something different.

The only real difference is Europe got an "Extended Edition" version, which included a download code for the extra scene with Matt and Emily, but that was also available as a pre-order bonus in the US. It's interesting to note that the clue you find there actually does count toward your list, so I don't know if it's included for the "get all clues" trophy or not. I know you get that trophy without ever needing that clue since most people will have no access to it, but I don't know if it being available changes the requirements for that trophy or not.

tomanton posted:

Yeah the jumpscare/ghost thing has always seemed more shoehorned in by the developers and not something the Psycho did. There's flipping switches to make televisions and clocks go off, as well as elaborately planned gore sure. But then there are zombies and ghosts that move in perfect fidelity and can vanish in an instant no matter where they are, including inside a pair of mounted binoculars. :raise:

Well, the thing we saw in the binoculars was NOT one of Josh's things.

Seeing the way Josh set up the "ghosts" it looked like he could have been using a projector through the pipe, but then you also see him manually playing around with a dummy. I think I summed it up pretty accurate in my wrap-up when I mentioned Scooby Doo logic being used.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Again, I sadly have to say videos will be sporadic like this for the foreseeable future. Next video will probably be the final Chapter Wrap-Up for the playthrough, which always delays things for me. I'm also still going through an alternate playthrough to find more little bits and pieces I want to show off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
So how many of them are there? There's the one sister who's a wendigo, and at least one other, but are there more? Because it feels like there's definitely more than two on the hunt, either that or they're really absurdly fast.

I also have to say I love the design of them. Wondrously creepy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, that bit marked my first death in this game. Stupid random industrial grinder

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010
Random? It was at the top of a conveyor for mined coal/stone, in fairness

So close to getting Emily ground though, little disappointed, heh

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Reading the game's wiki was interesting but has nothing on seeing it played blind. :suspense: Furthermore how does Chris hurt his leg or whatever jumping off one log into the snow, when Emily has fallen at least 100 feet across bare rocks so far tonight and still can sprint. I know who the real hero of this story is.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Emily is fairly athletic and landed the right way, Chris is a nerd who tweaked his ankle as he landed.

Matt was my first death when I played blind.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
The harshness of the butterfly effect/QTEs on Matt make him probably the hardest to keep alive: besides all the ways his night can go wrong, I'm pretty sure failing any part of his action sequences is instant death. Fortunately Jamesman hasn't done anything on this run to doom him (yet). :toot:

Emily is a close second. I think it'd take more than two playthroughs to cover all of their (mis)fortunes.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Emily's QTE event is probably my favorite in the game. It's decently long, you're (seemingly) in danger the whole time, and what you need to do is obvious (except the go right/left bit, but that just leads to a jumpscare). It's a big reason why Emily is my favorite character.

Good call on figuring out that the Wendigo are responsible. And close call on rescuing Emily from the grinder. :golfclap: (Whether the latter one is a good thing is debatable, though).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh hello there.

I'm sorry for taking a month to get out one video I'm trying my best. The good news is this is probably the last Chapter Wrap-Up, so I won't have to worry about putting those together anymore. The bad news is I still have reason to be doing at least three playthroughs of this game at once (possibly a fourth too), so we'll see how quickly we'll be finishing this LP up.

Please subscribe to me if you haven't I want to hit 200 subscribers soon please please please.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Even if the game is mostly linear I still think it's neat how subtly (or dramatically) differently things can play out depending on what clues were found or missed; furthermore, we're at a point in the game where half the cast could already be dead. You've already figured out that all wendigo info and Don't Moves has been the game training you for the climax so good luck with that, but I'm only subscribing if you successfully protect the puppy. :colbert:

Also, four playthroughs? Are you touching the prequel?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Was there a prequel? I didn't even know that.

Though, yeah, likewise, I'm surprised how different some things can go. And we've still got two cast members unaccounted for, I wonder if various choices have gotten them killed or if we yet have a chance to return to them.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's a PSVR game that covers the events of the asylum miner boondoggle. I liked it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

Also, four playthroughs? Are you touching the prequel?

No. I don't have any VR stuff, so I won't be touching Rush of Blood, or The Inpatient. The multiple playthroughs are to take different paths through the game and show off different stuff and get all the collectables.

PurpleXVI posted:

Was there a prequel? I didn't even know that.

Though, yeah, likewise, I'm surprised how different some things can go. And we've still got two cast members unaccounted for, I wonder if various choices have gotten them killed or if we yet have a chance to return to them.

There isn't any reason for Matt and Jess to be dead at this point, and there's only two chapters left, so I'm expecting to see them again soon enough.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

Ashley missing starting in the middle of the diary was a real piss take since it's so easy to miss that first page for that clue. I ended up replaying the whole chapter twice trying to figure out what I missed.

Also there's the way she'll lock Chris out of the house to be eaten if he tried to shoot her in the saw trap.

Be careful of her impulsiveness, it can be the death of you like it almost was for Emily.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheKirbs posted:

Also there's the way she'll lock Chris out of the house to be eaten if he tried to shoot her in the saw trap.

What are the consequences if Chris tries to shoot himself instead, I wonder? Since we only saw the "neutral" choice, I mean.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

PurpleXVI posted:

What are the consequences if Chris tries to shoot himself instead, I wonder? Since we only saw the "neutral" choice, I mean.

Same as neutral, gets a larger affection boost but no difference otherwise.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Ashley's impulsiveness could yet get her killed too, so I can't wait to see if Jamesman's been paying attention to dangers that haven't been so front-and-center. :munch:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hi!

OK, so the good news is I have finished recording for Until Dawn, so updates should be a little more frequent through to the end of the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This game is really taking you to the SPOOKZONE.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

THIS IS THE SAFE ROOM, EM

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So Supermassive rebranded Until Dawn 2 as "The Dark Pictures", an "anthology" that will hopefully release stories at regular intervals instead of one big delay-prone sequel; that could be cool to tell wider rather than narrow stories and not need as much plot armor for characters to carry them. They even seem to have learned from the Director's Cut experience you had and now the "Curator's cut" will unlock for everyone months later instead of a preorder code or nothing.

It's also including multiplayer, and it's really immersion-breaking to see a different character space out while the player decides something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

By the way, that person transforming into a Wendigo IS confirmed to be Billy Bates in the notes when looking at the collection menus.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well you saved the most important character Doggo, the rest of the cast is whatever

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Jamesman posted:

By the way, that person transforming into a Wendigo IS confirmed to be Billy Bates in the notes when looking at the collection menus.

"No, we stick together! There's NO WAY we're splitting up now"
*immediately turns back and walks the opposite direction from the rest looking for goodies*

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

"No, we stick together! There's NO WAY we're splitting up now"
*immediately turns back and walks the opposite direction from the rest looking for goodies*

They should have been following me. :colbert:

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I'm pretty sure the reason Sam decided they had to get to Mike right away was because the journal stated that the flamethrower guy had been caging wendigos, plural, and Mike was wandering into a situation where he could've been outnumbered when he wasn't expecting to be because until this point everyone thought there was just one of them. A lot of the evidence in this game that spells things out is split over multiple people, and as far as Mike personally knew before he set out (according to his own recap/infodump with everyone), 'miners were in a deathtrap and a bunch of them died' and 'the sanitarium was not legit' was it for the events of the '50s.
In contrast, by this point the player has probably been thinking 'wendigo miners incoming' since the moment the word 'wendigo' was said aloud if not sooner because they're also privy to all the old stuff Emily found in the mines (like the bones of the missing miners and the other half of the clocking-in cards) and the spontaneously-generated info from the 'events of the past' film, which pretty thoroughly shows what went down back then by this point if you've been paying any attention. So you have this odd moment where a major discovery for the characters ('oh CRAP there's MORE OF THESE THINGS') is something the audience has probably discovered ages ago and therefore doesn't think of as noteworthy.

Or something. :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's possible that Sam wanted to warn him about wendigos in the sanitorium, but later on, it's suggested that she didn't even know there were multiple wendigos. It's all very confusing, but I'm just imagining the rest of the stranger's journal was actually the game's script, and Sam just noticed they were not supposed to go get to Mike for... reasons?

I mean, what horror story is complete without dumb teens endangering themselves for no reason?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I have to wonder what alternate paths that sanatorium could have taken. The info seems to indicate that without the machete, Mike would have needed to take a different path. I also wonder if it would have been possible to just blap the Wendigos and then run, rather than burning them and releasing their spirits.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Without spoiling too much, the machete and the wolf are both failsafes to help keep Mike alive if you gently caress up at certain points in that section.

Even though I've tried to show off snippets of alternate choices, and in general things have gone pretty great for me (so far...), I'd still encourage you guys to further explore alternative options in your own playthroughs. There's lots of little things that can play out differently.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah the dude in the hidden room was the sanatorium's director and indeed died by suicide. In the prequel the MC is the last one to see him alive, his mind is already made up but the farewell is still what you make of it :v:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Was that pun intentional? :v: A grate idea?

Also I remember many aeons ago we were talking alternate gimmick runs, and one occurred to me: The Left-Handed Path, every time there are two choices, always pick the one on the left. No matter what it is.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
If everything is recorded I guess there's no more egging you toward alternate routes, but that was still fun to watch through. The wiki doesn't convey the atmosphere of this game, that climbing section was oddly relaxing, as was, to an extent, someone getting dropped into the mine like a sack of potatoes.

I think not opening the trapdoor was something the game foreshadowed well in advance: not only did you have the warning in the Wendigonomicon, the bashing from below was the mirror image of what happened on the fire tower.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

tomanton posted:

If everything is recorded I guess there's no more egging you toward alternate routes, but that was still fun to watch through. The wiki doesn't convey the atmosphere of this game, that climbing section was oddly relaxing, as was, to an extent, someone getting dropped into the mine like a sack of potatoes.

I think not opening the trapdoor was something the game foreshadowed well in advance: not only did you have the warning in the Wendigonomicon, the bashing from below was the mirror image of what happened on the fire tower.

Yeah, there's not much left to go (2 videos), so everything is all done. I'm also not going to be showing off any more alternate stuff and just focusing on the end without any distractions.

The way the game plays out, I'd have a hard time imagining anyone playing this and thinking "Oh! I should go help Jess!" at that section. Even if you missed/forgot that thing about mimicry, the whole thing comes off as sketchy. And even if you are curious and wanna follow the voice, I'm pretty sure anyone who opens that trap door does so knowing full well that it's a bad idea.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 27, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The game shows Jessica being alive while not actually letting us control her is mainly there just to make the players think that the voice might actually be Jessica. If you know anything about horror, though, it is obviously a trap. After all, the voice was behind a trapdoor :rimshot:

How did Chris go so far ahead of Ashley anyway? Wasn't the whole reason they want to let him stay behind is because he had a limp and couldn't walk fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I actually watched someone playing Until Dawn last night on Twitch. They didn't bother to read poo poo, so when Ashley hears "Jessica" they earnestly followed the voice and opened the trapdoor to save her. So I guess Supermassive knew what they were doing.