Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I'm gonna be honest with you guys: Lina isn't flat.

Edit: Is there an order I should watch this in? I'm starting with the original anime and it seems to be standalone but about everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you guys: Lina isn't flat.

Edit: Is there an order I should watch this in? I'm starting with the original anime and it seems to be standalone but about everything else.
basically:

the tv series go in production order, so just watch them in that order.

the movies/OVAs take place before the first season of the anime, but don't tie into them until revolution/evolution-r, and even then its in a 'not necessarily explicit' way. so you can watch them whenever, but should watch them at some point before you get to the stuff that was made in the 2010s.

If it makes it easier to get, the original novels were just two series.

The original Slayers, a 15 book series that was adapted into the various TV series.

And Slayers Special, a total of 30 short stories that take place before the first of the original Slayers book. These are mostly just random misadventures with no throughline connecting them, hence why they were adapted as OVAs and movies instead of having their material worked into the TV series.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

basically:

the tv series go in production order, so just watch them in that order.

the movies/OVAs take place before the first season of the anime, but don't tie into them until revolution/evolution-r, and even then its in a 'not necessarily explicit 'way.

With the exception of Slayers Premium which takes place after Try. But yeah, the movies/OVAs aren't really necessary except to understand something that happens in the final season a little more (but it's perfectly fine to go in without them as well as it's not really that crucial).

And as mentioned above the TV shows tie directly into each other in some fashion so just watch in the order they came out (Slayers, Next, Try, Revolution, Evolution-R).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 10, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

With the exception of Slayers Premium which takes place after Try.

oh yeah i forgot that one

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

A bunch of stuff happened and in the end all the episodes on Crunchy went boom!

But it's all available on youtube so whatever!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

A bunch of stuff happened and in the end all the episodes on Crunchy went boom!

But it's all available on youtube so whatever!

Yeah, their partnership with Funimation ended a little while back (not sure why though) and as a result a lot of anime wound up getting dropped from Crunchyroll. But as you said, in this case there are still legal backups available on Youtube (though only in the US I believe).

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I like that you can tell the season by Lina's shoulder-pads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Slayers is my favourite anime; probably a trite comparison but it sort of reminded me of original Dragon Ball the first time I saw it. I think Next is best, then Slayers (it really picks up once Crispin Freeman gets there), then Try, but they're all good. I haven't seen E-Revolution or Revolution. Are they worth checking out?

Also:

:D

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Slayers is my favourite anime; probably a trite comparison but it sort of reminded me of original Dragon Ball the first time I saw it. I think Next is best, then Slayers (it really picks up once Crispin Freeman gets there), then Try, but they're all good. I haven't seen E-Revolution or Revolution. Are they worth checking out?

Absolutely, there are no bad Slayers seasons in my opinion (the movies and OVAs are good too but your enjoyment level there kind of depends on how much you can stand Naga). Hopefully now that the novels have started up again we'll get another series sometime in the future (or at the very least a movie).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Originally the only anime I was into was Dragon Ball and to a certain extent Sailor Moon (which I think still has its merits; I watched it because the channel it was on did a bit of a misdirect with its advertising and made it out to be more of an action-adventure show than it was or is) and there were a couple of others I watched but Slayers was the first one I was into that wasn't really shown on tv; it was the first one I sought out online.

Why did I do this? Because I found a message board asking the age-old question: who would win in a fight, Lina or Goku? :v: (Which is a very pedestrian question because the better question would be, which of them would win in an eating contest?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slayers was actually the first serialized anime I ever saw (apart from maybe catching a few episodes of Voltron and Speed Racer as a kid), so it's kind of always had a special place in my heart (I also think that both the Japanese version and the dub are pretty much equally good).

Another nice thing about it is that apart from Zelgadiss none of the primary characters really have much in the way of a specific end goal in mind, they're just a band of wandering adventurers that just happen to keep getting roped into large scale conflicts mostly by accident. To that end, you could probably keep the series going as long as you wanted.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I've been watching this dubbed for the first 20 episodes but I can't handle it anymore. Trying to match lip flaps has led to some of the biggest dubbing crimes against humanity.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

I've been watching this dubbed for the first 20 episodes but I can't handle it anymore. Trying to match lip flaps has led to some of the biggest dubbing crimes against humanity.

Did the dub change any of the boob jokes?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

There were constant jokes about Lina's flat chest (which isn't flat) but I didn't have subs on so I don't know.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Did the dub change any of the boob jokes?

I'm pretty sure the dub didn't censor or change anything significant (if anything I think the characters actually swear more in the English version).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Ymmv but I remember starting from one of the later seasons and thinking the dub was pretty good (aside from the anime yells) especially for the era and then went back to S1 and had to drop it partway through because I also felt it was fairly dire so maybe try the dub again for S2?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My friend hates Megumi's voice so it's always dub for him.

Me I just go with what's available.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wow, hosed up if true

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Me I just go with what's available.

All 3 Lina voices (she had a different actress in the dub of the OVAs and the first few movies) are pretty decent to me but I still kind of prefer Megumi, I can totally see how that particular voice could get grating after a while though (both dub actresses do sort of have the same general tone as her to be fair).

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

hello i really like the specials and movies where naga and lina are actually friends bc they have such a greatly different dynamic than lina and the rest of the gang since naga "gets" lina and double downs w/ her on being obnoxious assholes who are way too strong for their own good

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

My friend hates Megumi's voice
he isn't your friend

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TenementFunster posted:

he isn't your friend

You're right, he's my landlord.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Slayers is the most accurate portrayal of all time of what Dungeons & Dragons is really like.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Mazed posted:

Slayers is the most accurate portrayal of all time of what Dungeons & Dragons is really like.

Well, the Fighter is useless, so it is pretty accurate.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Well, the Fighter is useless, so it is pretty accurate.

Thats only 3rd edition, youve revealed your shame.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Except the fighter in 1st and 2nd AD&D rules level really slow.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, he's my landlord.
double guillotine

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A good underappreciated gag is every time Lina insists she's not a bad swordsman herself, she draws her sword and immediately gets shown as being kinda bad or going up against a literal child wearing cardboard armor and using a wooden sword.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mordaedil posted:

A good underappreciated gag is every time Lina insists she's not a bad swordsman herself, she draws her sword and immediately gets shown as being kinda bad or going up against a literal child wearing cardboard armor and using a wooden sword.

Slapped by AD&D cross class rules

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't like how she swapped out her sword for a dagger in later seasons. sure, she rarely ever used either of them but the dagger wasn't as cool.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think she did ok the few times she borrowed the Sword of Light though. But otherwise yeah, her sword/dagger was primarily for defense and she wasn't really that good with it as she was with magic.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Well she has the Ragna Blade spell, which kinda makes a sword useless.
It might be a bit too much when dealing with random bandits. But when has that ever stopped her before.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Well she has the Ragna Blade spell, which kinda makes a sword useless.
It might be a bit too much when dealing with random bandits. But when has that ever stopped her before.

Fair, in fact (as someone else alluded to above) I think the only time she actually managed to beat someone with her sword was when she was fighting a girl who was basically just playing an extremely elaborate game of pretend to spite her father.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Except the fighter in 1st and 2nd AD&D rules level really slow.

2nd edition fighters were the thing from It Follows and hit like trucks at any range, probably the only time they outpaced wizards.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Respect your fighters or we will unleash the horror again, we only gave up our power voluntarily to make our wizard friends happy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mazed posted:

I get that in this analogy Lina's the wizard, Gourry's the fighter and Amelia's the healer/monk but what does that make Zell?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 12, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's obviously the min-maxed custom race/class that the dm reluctantly permitted

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Amelia is more of a Monk. Zelgadis could be a Warlock I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sylphiel is the monk.