Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
xellos was a weird character who stuck around long after it stopped making sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Larryb posted:

I forget, did we ever really learn what his deal was? It seems like he both helped and hindered the group as he saw fit.

he was one of the mazoku priests, who were just below the generals. i don't think the general he worked for ever showed up? maybe they were in the notorious illustration in the last book.

xellos wasn't conflicted or anything; he was dedicated to reviving shabranigdu and destroying the world like any other mazoku. he was just focused on big grandiose plans toward that end instead of killing lina, which is something he was definitely capable of doing at any time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
book spoilers: dolphin and i guess zelas showed up very, very briefly in the last book and did nothing of note. they were just kind of there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's supposed to be dragon slave, but as a corruption of the original name, dragon slayer. lina didn't invent it, she just likes using it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Is Buffy anime

100%

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naga was from the novels, yeah. lina tended to randomly run into naga over and over more than they actually traveled together. i guess they just stopped.

revolution and evolution-r weren't based on any books, and they were kind of a rehash of other arcs. it was pretty good since it was slayers, but it didn't do anything new or take any risks. totally-not-naga showing up was a lazy way of adding a popular character, so i wouldn't read too much into it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i didn't like how she swapped out her sword for a dagger in later seasons. sure, she rarely ever used either of them but the dagger wasn't as cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's obviously the min-maxed custom race/class that the dm reluctantly permitted

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
luna could never match up to lina's all-consuming dread of her. it's for the best that she never appears.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what was previously the last book ended with lina completely worn out, physically and emotionally. she decides to take gourry to her hometown, but we never see this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've seen the first three seasons many times, but i haven't watched revo/evolution since they first aired. i really should.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"the natural enemy of all that lives" still makes me chuckle every time i think about it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been thinking about xellos lately. i've long considered it kind of strange to keep a character around who could end the story any time he feels like it. what's more, there's good reasons why he'd want to (lina keeps beating up shabranigdu and i don't think she will ever stop). instead, xellos hangs out being mildly annoying, often for no particular reason. as for why i say he could wipe the party, lina's big guns are very slow and unwieldy, but xellos is super fast, stealthy, capable of teleporting at will, and as a high rank mazoku normal spells wouldn't really work on him even if they hit. it's like he was designed from the start to be un-fightable.

however, as this thread has pointed out, slayers is a d&d campaign. in that context, xellos makes perfect sense. he's a dm contrivance to handle a party that keeps picking fights with important npcs. xellos is a character the players can't beat up, and he can simply leave if they try. so, he is always available to provide cryptic hints and move the quest along.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

How did Lina beat up Shabranigdu but she can't beat up Xellos? Science can't explain that.

lina can beat just about anything if she can actually hit it with a ragna blade. the problem with xellos is that she just plain can't hit him. maybe giga slave would work, but lina stopped using that spell for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naga can't appear in the main story, because one naga is more than equal to every other member of lina's party. gourry, zel and amelia would have no choice but to slink off in shame.