Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Does any decent quality exist of the stuff where she's with Naga? I remember trying to watch all of Slayers way back since it was my introduction to anime and my favorite thing ever since I was also into D&D at the time, but nearly everything I found was like 240x120 real media format crap that was barely watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
There is a SNES Slayers game that got a romhack translation. The story ends up pulling one over you too.

Don't read it you don't mind a bit of spoiling:
While the game starts you out as Lina Inverse, you start off strangely weak and everyone comments on this, but it turns out you are a Lina clone and the real Lina is max level wrecking havoc around the countryside while you do the mainplot. So you can eventually team up with Lina as Lina. It's great.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's one of the best jokes, but is that also the only joke Zelgadiss actually delivers?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Brought To You By posted:

Funny enough I saw a copy of the D20 Slayers rulebook at the local bookstore. It's amazing how big the series got in the west.

I have that book and I'd love to play with it at some point, but generally I have a rough enough time getting people to play D&D in the first place.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

Is it really supposed to be called Dragon Slave, or is it supposed to be Dragon Slay(er)?

It's Dragon Slave. There's a plot point in the first season that says the spell name derives from Dragon Slayer, but apparently that spell has been forgotten or somesuch. Author awareness of the Engrish of it all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I bought the movies on Amazon a while back. But I can't find the other things anywhere.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Problem there is that they are region locked. :negative:

I own the first 3 seasons on DVD, so it's not so bad, but it kinda sucks that my favorite show is so hard to share.

I'll just have to look into the illegal stuff for the hard-to-get series.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
God, I'm pretty sure you could write a whole thesis on Naga.

Also I love in Slayers Gorgeous whenever the villains are having a hearty laugh, she's sure as hell right behind them laughing when they are laughing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think so, because the laugh is almost played for parody's sake, which is kinda amazing, considering how mainstay it has become after that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I like that you can tell the season by Lina's shoulder-pads.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Except the fighter in 1st and 2nd AD&D rules level really slow.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
A good underappreciated gag is every time Lina insists she's not a bad swordsman herself, she draws her sword and immediately gets shown as being kinda bad or going up against a literal child wearing cardboard armor and using a wooden sword.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Zelgadiss is a fighter/mage or a type of gish.

Sharkopath posted:

Respect your fighters or we will unleash the horror again, we only gave up our power voluntarily to make our wizard friends happy.

Warblades, yo.

Sharkopath posted:

2nd edition fighters were the thing from It Follows and hit like trucks at any range, probably the only time they outpaced wizards.

But this still holds true.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Paracelsus posted:

Not a D&D expert, but can a straight-up monk cast divine spells? She's a priestess who can cast Dragon Slave.

They can't. But it's not like you have to wonder when you can make Sylphiel in the Slayers d20 ruleset.

Sylphiel is a Noble 2/Priest 5/Shrine Maiden 10. She has detect evil, divine grace, divine health, fascinate, lay on hands, recognition, sense aura, sense evil, and has feats like combat casting, fast learner, oblivious, spell focus (white) and spell mastery (dragon slave, protection). She knows one single sorcery spell, dragon slave, and 7 other spells.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

P-Mack posted:

Just finished Next. Such a sweet way to end it. :3:

My favorite thing about the Lord of Nightmares is that in the novels she and Shabranigdu and the other demon lords are just revealed to be the editors taking a direct role in the story.

"You know, this section doesn't quite work, let's remove that somehow."

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though I think it means the actual Demon Kings from the other worlds. Not the Demon Lords Ruby Eyes created. I don't think it applies to Hellmaster Fibrizo, Gaav, and the other three.

Entirely correct, only the upper echelon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
One Spell Woman?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What? I feel like I need to read the full story there. What made him feel Lina was more interesting?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Naga is Amelia's old PC that she's no longer allowed to play, that other guy is the DM's kid.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they skipped the village raid, which was one of the worst scenes in the manga, so it might not be the worst adaption possible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a D&D game run by an abusive grognard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Cappy posted:

How did Lina beat up Shabranigdu but she can't beat up Xellos? Science can't explain that.

When you cut a guy into pieces, the individual pieces are often weaker than their underlings. Also they find it amusing that mortals try to hurt him, never considering they will tattle to mommy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Technically it is, it's for all "Slayer" shows.

You just gotta roll the dice on getting judged for watching Goblin Slayer. I'm watching it, I just don't talk about it 'cause nobody else is and I don't wanna be the "let's talk about goblin slayer" guy.

I heard the anime cut out the worst parts of the later stuff, so it gets a small star for now being the worst thing ever put on TV.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Slayers Gorgeous was what got me into anime and it's been a downhill journey since then.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dubs are good when they actually have people that care about what they deliver.

And then we have the finnish version of Digimon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The original 8 volumes are translated, I have them somewhere in my bookshelves. They mostly just cover Slayers up to end of Slayers Next, however.