Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Talk about whatever but the show must have some variant of "Slayer" in the name.

I played D&D recently so that made me start rewatching The Slayers. It's still good! One thing I didn't appreciate when I watched it as an "anime is serious art" teenager is just how much of a cartoon it is. Goofy animations, silly anime faces, giant sweatdrops, its all very comfortable and conversant in the language of animation and that 90's hand drawn charm just oozes from it. Lina is extremely fun and inspiring character and has a great approach to problem solving we would all do well to emulate. I hope the sequel series are just as good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Slayers Next is my comfort food. It always manages to cheer me up when I feel down.

Cool, I just finished the original so that's up next for me. Gonna get comfy in the anime zone.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

do we get more weird fish guys

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

^
Important image

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

If anyone here hasn't seen Slayers or wants to watch it again the entire series is available for free in both sub and dub formats on Funimation's YouTube channel (the first season as well as Revolution/Evolution-R is also on Crunchyroll as well but that could change before too long).

All seasons are on crunchy, but for some reason it puts next/try as seasons two and three of Slayers but revolution as a separate entry.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

they could probably just use this recap for every episode

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

50 episodes of Kenshin waiting for this and it never happened, but Slayers delivers.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It's one of the best jokes, but is that also the only joke Zelgadiss actually delivers?

I dunno, but it's the same sword he's had for the whole series so he's clearly just being a dick.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Interesting feedback on the setting of whatever show that is!

Slayers is D&D 100% but it predates all the meta "u are actually all in a game" trends and just keeps the story moving smoothly from plot point to plot point like any good DM would.

It's cool that a Slayers kingdom is just a town, a restaurant, and a castle or mansion that will most likely get blown up in the next 22 minutes. No reason to build any more world than necessary!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Halfway through Next now and I have to agree Give a Reason is sick as hell.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

A bunch of stuff happened and in the end all the episodes on Crunchy went boom!

But it's all available on youtube so whatever!

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

I've been watching this dubbed for the first 20 episodes but I can't handle it anymore. Trying to match lip flaps has led to some of the biggest dubbing crimes against humanity.

Did the dub change any of the boob jokes?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

bigmandan posted:

Astral magic is a branch of shamanistic magic. It works through the Astral plane by attacking the target's Astral body; usually most effective on monsters/demons. One example is Ra Tilt which can be seen only having limited effect on ol' Ruby Eyes in showdown in the tower.

I don't think it actually works on anyone until well into Next.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Just finished Next. Such a sweet way to end it. :3:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just finished Next.

It's good.

'tis.

Try is "anime-only" but in the first episode Lina destroys an innocent city by mistake so I think they "get it".

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mazed posted:

Gourry is played by the D&D newcomer who took everyone's advice and played a straightforward smashy type.

Zelgadis is played by the D&D newcomer who ignored everyone's advice and made a tryhard too-cool-for-school edgy antihero (who probably fudges dice a lot)

Amelia is played by the same type as Zelgadis but they've been doing it a while and find greater value in taking the piss (and no longer fudges dice because they've learned to appreciate the comedy of bad rolls)

Sylphiel is played by the DM's significant other.

Lina is played by the veteran D&Der who knows the DM extremely well and so knows every button to push.

Xelloss is the DMPC who got brought in specifically to troll Lina's player.

Filia is Sylphiel's player but rolling someone new, now that they've learned to min/max and also how to gently caress with the DM (with whom they're probably still in a relationship, as that's the only explanation for why they got to pick that goddamn race)

e. Oh, and:

Naga is that one player who shows up once in every ten games and refuses to work with the DM to integrate into the plot, but probably has some real-life stressful job and a whole lot of steam to blow.

Luna was Lina's player's first PC and that explains everything.

There's a lot of places where this sort of logic holds up. Like at the end of Next Zangulus shows up just so Gourry's player can have a replacement swordsman to play for that session.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Apparently they skipped the village raid, which was one of the worst scenes in the manga, so it might not be the worst adaption possible.

If they didn't just move it to be the season finale...

You know how Slayers is like a fun game of D&D with chill, well-adjusted people? There is also the, uh, other type of D&D group.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Technically it is, it's for all "Slayer" shows.

You just gotta roll the dice on getting judged for watching Goblin Slayer. I'm watching it, I just don't talk about it 'cause nobody else is and I don't wanna be the "let's talk about goblin slayer" guy.

If you don't like it you probably said your piece in the old thread and if you do like it there's not much to say beyond hey it was cool when the goblins got btfo.

But it does in fact have Slayer in the name, so everything's on the up and up.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought I'd rewatch some of Slayers Try and I'd completely forgotten about the ad break title cards (Amelia in a waitress outfit, Lina in a school uniform, Zelgadis as a rock star etc.). Mostly they're humorous but there's one where Gourry is in an apron with a little girl with pink hair and I can't remember if she was a character from one of the previous two seasons.

I think that was the alchemist girl whose house they accidentally destroy in Next.

Not spoiler tagging that because wanton destruction should be a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I had some time so I went and finished Try. The episodic filler nonsense episodes were perfectly solid but the main plot was a little weak. It took too long to get going in the first half then Valgaav disappeared for most of the back half.

Watched the first episode of Revolution and am glad to see "being Lina Inverse" is still a crime.