Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Slayers is a great series that brings nothing but smiles to my face. Hell yeah.

All 5 season are pretty decent honestly. Out of curiosity, were the original novels it was based on ever translated and was there anything from them that still remains unadapted (that is, is there any chance of this series getting revived again one day)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

The first 8 novels were translated and released by Tokyopop
The other 7 however remain untranslated. With no plans on translating them.
You can find some fan translations online, but the quality of those leaves much to be desired.

On the plus side, the first 8 novels do wrap up the first story arc. So you at least get a complete story.

Slayers REVOLUTION and EVOLUTION-R adapted some of the material from the novels. But honestly, with a few clever changes they have enough material for a few more seasons.

I think there was a Slayers manga as well if I recall correctly, was that any good/any different from the anime?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Also, there's a new novel that came out for the main storyline, after 18 years.

Nice, so this series isn't dead. Hope they make a new season one day in that case.

Speaking of which, were most of the 5 existing shows (and possibly the movies as well) adapted straight from the novels or was there a bit of original stuff thrown in here and there as well?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Pretty sure TRY (the third season) was completely original.

I believe that's the one where the aforementioned dragon lady comes from so that makes sense. Were the movies adapted from the novels as well? Speaking of the movies, they really should have found some excuse to introduce Naga into the series proper (though they sort of did in Revolution in kind of a roundabout way).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Movies are all original stuff, some of the manga series are based on the movies.

I like Naga, but I'm pretty sure she would get tiring for an entire season. She's best saved for one offs.

Jillas was great, especially because I didn't expect a seemingly simple character like that to get the development he did.

Fair point but as I alluded to she did technically appear at least once in the main series (the suit of armor that temporally joins the group at the start of Revolution has her voice actress, mannerisms and is heavily implied to literally be Naga. Yet for some reason they deliberately avoid explicitly stating that).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone here hasn't seen Slayers or wants to watch it again the entire series is available for free in both sub and dub formats on Funimation's YouTube channel (the first season as well as Revolution/Evolution-R is also on Crunchyroll as well but that could change before too long).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

All seasons are on crunchy, but for some reason it puts next/try as seasons two and three of Slayers but revolution as a separate entry.

Ah, my mistake then. Though with Crunchyroll ending it's contract with Funimation soon it's possible those shows won't be up for much longer, hence the reason why I mentioned the YouTube channel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget how Evolution-R ended but given the setup of the show and the fact that I don't believe any of the main characters besides maybe Zelgadis have a specific end goal in mind they could honestly just keep this concept going forever if they wanted (I still kind of want to see at least one more season at any rate).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

xellos was a weird character who stuck around long after it stopped making sense

I forget, did we ever really learn what his deal was? It seems like he both helped and hindered the group as he saw fit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I wasn't entirely clear whether he was actually supposed to be a villain or not. As I recall there are actually a few characters that still have yet to make an appearance (in animated form at least), Deep Sea Dolphin is another example.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are the novels still going? I know one came out just recently but I don't know for sure if the series has been officially ended/abandoned just yet.

Regardless, there's still probably enough material out there for another season or two of anime content should they ever feel like coming back to it at some point (or even just flat out make something up like they did with Try). Though on that note, how well did the series actually do in Japan?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There hasn't been any mention of the 16th volume being the final volume, so there is probably going to be more novels coming out. Also, the latest novel got immediate reprints, so its presumably doing really well.

Good, hope that means an anime revival is in the cards at some point as I really want to see more of this series. Also as far as I can remember both the Japanese and English voice casts are more or less equally good in this regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

tbh i feel like there's no real need for a separate slayers system since slayers is pretty explicitly just an anime based on a d&d game. like lina's a wizard, gourry's a fighter, I guess zel'd be a warlock, you don't really need to homebrew anything even

And Amelia's the White Mage/Paladin. But yeah, this is basically D&D as it is and they could potentially keep this concept going forever if they wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And by the same logic, Dragon Slave won't work on Shabranigdo since, as Lina points out in the first season, that would basically be tantamount to asking him to help kill himself. I like how the spells are logically consistent like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Is it really supposed to be called Dragon Slave, or is it supposed to be Dragon Slay(er)?

Not sure but it sounds like Slave to me and I think that's the name the dub uses as well. Slay would make sense though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 29, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The movies/OVAs are worth checking out in my opinion as well though I'm not sure if any of them are still available legally. The two OVA's and the first 4 movies take place before the first season and I don't believe require any prior knowledge to really get into them (and outside of a slight reference in the final season I don't believe any of them are actually called back to in the main series). I believe chronologically they go:

Slayers Excellent (at least the first one at any rate since that shows how Lina and Naga first met)
Slayers The Book of Spells (aka Slayers Special)
Slayers The Motion Picture (aka Slayers Perfect)
Slayers Return
Slayers Great
Slayers Gorgeous

Then lastly there's Slayers Premium which takes place after Try.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I bought the movies on Amazon a while back. But I can't find the other things anywhere.

I found the OVAs on some streaming sites like KissAnime and the like but I'm not sure if there's still any legal way to get them (don't remember if they were ever released on DVD or anything here).

All 5 seasons of the main series are on Crunchyroll (for now anyway) and Funimation's YouTube channel though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of the movies/specials is it ever really explained in any Slayers related material how Lina went from traveling with Naga for a while to being by herself again by the time the series proper rolls around? Though then again, the suit of armor that temporarily joins them in Evolution-R is heavily implied to having been possessed by Naga's spirit (it has her mannerisms, voice actress and even does the laugh) which might indicate that she died at some point, Lina doesn't really seem to recognize her there as far as I can tell though.

Related, but is Naga actually from the novels or is she a creation of the anime writers?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently her real name is Gracia and she's actually Amelia's older sister, Evolution-R kind of hints at this though I believe Kanzaka stated it outright in an interview a while back.

That said, it is sort of weird that Xellos is the only one who recognizes her in that season while Lina doesn't seem to have a clue. But it's the closest thing we've gotten to some kind of resolution for Naga's character so I'll take it. I like the character but I'm not really sure I could stand a full season of her. Naga works best in small doses I feel.

Off the subject but due to not being able to find a subbed version of Great and Gorgeous I recently discovered that Lina is played by a different actress in the dub of the OVAs and early movies. Were those handled by a seperate company?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 31, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

God, I'm pretty sure you could write a whole thesis on Naga.

Also I love in Slayers Gorgeous whenever the villains are having a hearty laugh, she's sure as hell right behind them laughing when they are laughing.

Also kudos to the dub actress for being able to recreate the laugh almost perfectly. But yeah, Naga is actually a fairly complex character but it's just that almost all her backstory comes from interviews and supplementary material (though you could probably say the same thing about Lina herself to be honest).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 31, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Kelly Manison is amazing yeah.

Would it be fair to consider Naga the queen of the Ojou-sama laugh?

I haven't seen the dub of Evolution-R, how was the woman who voiced "Nama" in that?

Also, is Naga the one who first originated that particular laugh you sometimes hear in anime (I've sometimes heard it referred to as the "Naga Laugh" at any rate)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Eva Kaminsky did the voice of Nama in Evolution-R

How was she in comparison to Kelly Manison (and can she pull off the laugh just as well)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

basically:

the tv series go in production order, so just watch them in that order.

the movies/OVAs take place before the first season of the anime, but don't tie into them until revolution/evolution-r, and even then its in a 'not necessarily explicit 'way.

With the exception of Slayers Premium which takes place after Try. But yeah, the movies/OVAs aren't really necessary except to understand something that happens in the final season a little more (but it's perfectly fine to go in without them as well as it's not really that crucial).

And as mentioned above the TV shows tie directly into each other in some fashion so just watch in the order they came out (Slayers, Next, Try, Revolution, Evolution-R).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 10, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

A bunch of stuff happened and in the end all the episodes on Crunchy went boom!

But it's all available on youtube so whatever!

Yeah, their partnership with Funimation ended a little while back (not sure why though) and as a result a lot of anime wound up getting dropped from Crunchyroll. But as you said, in this case there are still legal backups available on Youtube (though only in the US I believe).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Slayers is my favourite anime; probably a trite comparison but it sort of reminded me of original Dragon Ball the first time I saw it. I think Next is best, then Slayers (it really picks up once Crispin Freeman gets there), then Try, but they're all good. I haven't seen E-Revolution or Revolution. Are they worth checking out?

Absolutely, there are no bad Slayers seasons in my opinion (the movies and OVAs are good too but your enjoyment level there kind of depends on how much you can stand Naga). Hopefully now that the novels have started up again we'll get another series sometime in the future (or at the very least a movie).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Slayers was actually the first serialized anime I ever saw (apart from maybe catching a few episodes of Voltron and Speed Racer as a kid), so it's kind of always had a special place in my heart (I also think that both the Japanese version and the dub are pretty much equally good).

Another nice thing about it is that apart from Zelgadiss none of the primary characters really have much in the way of a specific end goal in mind, they're just a band of wandering adventurers that just happen to keep getting roped into large scale conflicts mostly by accident. To that end, you could probably keep the series going as long as you wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

P-Mack posted:

Did the dub change any of the boob jokes?

I'm pretty sure the dub didn't censor or change anything significant (if anything I think the characters actually swear more in the English version).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

My friend hates Megumi's voice so it's always dub for him.

Me I just go with what's available.

All 3 Lina voices (she had a different actress in the dub of the OVAs and the first few movies) are pretty decent to me but I still kind of prefer Megumi, I can totally see how that particular voice could get grating after a while though (both dub actresses do sort of have the same general tone as her to be fair).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think she did ok the few times she borrowed the Sword of Light though. But otherwise yeah, her sword/dagger was primarily for defense and she wasn't really that good with it as she was with magic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Well she has the Ragna Blade spell, which kinda makes a sword useless.
It might be a bit too much when dealing with random bandits. But when has that ever stopped her before.

Fair, in fact (as someone else alluded to above) I think the only time she actually managed to beat someone with her sword was when she was fighting a girl who was basically just playing an extremely elaborate game of pretend to spite her father.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mazed posted:

Slayers is the most accurate portrayal of all time of what Dungeons & Dragons is really like.

I get that in this analogy Lina's the wizard, Gourry's the fighter and Amelia's the healer/monk but what does that make Zell?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Zelgadis, and eventually Amelia, used magic that didnt come from demons or whatnot. It was like...I guess earth magic or something? I vaguely remember them saying something like the nature-sourced spells didn't have the sheer power of dark magic, but they could be used effectively against divine/demonic opponents.

It's been a couple years though, so I could be misremembering this.

I'm pretty sure they both share some of the same spells that Lina has but I seem to remember Amelia primarily using White Magic and hand to hand combat whereas, unlike Lina, Zelgadis happened to be pretty good at both spells and swordplay. I could be wrong though.

Also, I never saw the dub of Evolution R (I've only really seen part of the first season dubbed initially as well as Great and Gorgeous mainly because I couldn't find a subbed version, otherwise I've pretty much stuck to the Japanese version the whole way through) but how was Eva Kaminsky as "Nama"? Kelly Manison was almost perfectly cast as Naga in the movies and OVAs so I was just curious if the other English actress was just as good (or if Funimation even caught the reference since a different company handled the early films).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Zelgadis was also an expert pistol marksman despite never having held or seen a gun before. And he also played the guitar.

So he's pretty much good at everything then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I have never seen this show, but I’d be down for a modern season.

Watch it, pretty much everything about it is great. Since it's still fairly popular in Japan and a new novel came out recently I'm still hoping we get a new season one day (or at the very least a movie), I'm pretty sure all the actors on both sides of the pond are still around and would probably be willing to come back at any rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lisa Ortiz basically only has one voice as well but in this case it just happens to work perfectly for Lina.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

My memories of Slayers involve finding a Hotline server that had the first season in insanely high quality 640x480 resolution, but I was only able to download like two episodes before it went down. My friends and I were in awe of how it was even possible to have video files that looked that good, even though in retrospect I remember it had some crazy interlacing.

It seems like a fun show to just pick up and watch so I should probably get around to finally doing that. I'm guessing it's going to be better than all the isekai garbage that comes out these days, at least.

If you're in the US the entire series is available legally on YouTube in both Japanese and English (it used to be on Crunchyroll as well but since their contract with Funimation ended a little while back a lot of shows wound up getting dumped from their site).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having now seen all of the movies/specials I believe chronologically the series goes:

Slayers Excellent (the first episode of the OVA details Lina and Naga's initial meeting)
Slayers The Motion Picture
Slayers Return
Slayers The Book of Spells
Slayers Great
Slayers Gorgeous
Slayers
Slayers Next
Slayers Try
Slayers Premium
Slayers Revolution
Slayers Evolution-R

Though to be honest besides Excellent you could probably watch the other movies/OVA in any order you want as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of internal continuity between them, Premium could also possibly take place after everything else as there's a line in the beginning saying it's been 5 years since the group last met (though that's probably just a fourth wall joke as Try ended in 1997 and the movie premiered in 2001).

One of the things I love about this show is (with a few exceptions) it almost never takes itself seriously, more often than not any tense moment is almost instantly deflated and turned into a joke (there's a fair number of fourth wall breaks in there as well). I also like that while they're not terrible people at heart there isn't a single member of the group that can justifiably be considered a hero (including Zell and Amelia).

It's been said before but with the recent resurgence of the novels I hope that means other Slayers media is on the way eventually as well as while some are better than others there really hasn't been an outright bad anime version yet. Though I suppose your enjoyment of some of the movies/specials kind of depends a lot on how much you can tolerate Naga. It was probably a good idea they didn't put her in the main series to be honest and instead replaced her with Amelia (who according to the original author is canonically Naga's younger sister), don't remember if Amelia ever attempts the laugh though.

Naga does sort of make an appearance in the first few episodes of Evolution-R though (or more accurately, a living suit of armor with her voice actress, personality and mannerisms shows up) but for some reason Lina never really recognizes her or comments on the familiarity of the situation. She has a cameo in the Slayers Premium movie as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 22, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does Luna have a bigger role in the novels? As I recall in the anime she's just mentioned occasionally and sometimes appears in still shots/eyecatches but that's about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Nope! Aside from Lina being scared shitless when she's mentioned, all the tidbits previously mentioned (Luna being hilariously OP, a non-giver of fucks, prefers to wait tables) is literally all we know about her.

Lina's parents barely even get mentioned in side materials or anything, but iirc they're both alive + well and they have fairly normal jobs.

Ah, I knew there was some additional information regarding her in supplementary materials/interviews (which is also where most of Naga's backstory comes from) such as her being a knight of Ceifeed but I didn't know if she ever actually showed up in anything.

As for Lina, all we really know regarding her backstory is that she was born in a town called Zephilia, her dad's a former mercenary and her mom used to be a sorceress as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who's the other (what I assume is a) girl next to Gourry in the last picture?