Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I started watching Demon Slayer and man this anime is loving working me over nearly every episode. I'm feeling sympathy for the villain they just happen to stumble across drat near every episode because of Tanjiro's ceaseless empathy for most every demon he comes across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wark Say posted:

While Tanjirou has a lot of traits that are very common for the average Weekly Shounen Jump MC, there is a moment at the end of the... Swamp Demon arc, if I don't misremember? where the former fiancé of one of the demon's victims gets all mad about Tanjirou not arriving sooner to avoid the tragedy and how he could never understand what he's going through because Tanjirou is just this little brat (he's like 14 or 15 at this point, I think?).

And Tanjirou, bless his dadgum heart, offers a sober, if not downright wistful smile that tells you everything you need to know about the boi, and suddenly the dude gets it. The dude understands that Tanjirou's had some awful, awful poo poo happen to him, but he's still soldiering on, because he's trying to get somethin' going for himself (and Nezuko, obv, but mourning dude don't need to know that last tidbit). I honestly got a little misty-eyed with that scene.

I've been keeping up with the manga for like a year and a half now, but I decided to also watch the anime, and I honestly think it elevates the material from the first few volumes to a pretty nice place, so I'm excited to see Ufotable continue with the adaptation to the end. Also, here's the anime thread if you wish to also post your thoughts there. :)

It's too late I've already finished it and I never do live posts so nothing I say will be accurate to when I first watched it now. I didn't mean to come off like I thought Tanjirou's empathy was a negative or anything I was more just caught off guard on how far it goes for the whole show and never stops. Once I stopped and thought about it, it definitely made sense though, with how he's literally carrying a reminder that demons aren't all terrible on his back most of the time (and also furiously driven to confront them because he's looking for a cure in the first place)

He's just a drat good person all the time. It's nice to have good boys in manga. First Tadano from Komi-San and now Tanjirou.