Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Verisimilidude posted:

Watching The Slayers because of this thread. Needed something to get the taste of Goblin Slayer out of my mouth. This is exactly what I wanted! It’s 100% my poo poo.

Watch the movies and OVA's. They're a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, this. Still haven't gotten around to Revolution and Evolution-R since Smash came out, but I'm saving it for when I'm inevitably stuck at home with a cold.

They kind of lack the magic of the previous seasons. The OVA's and movies are Lina's adventures with Naga the White Serpent before meeting Gourrey. Think Dirty Pair, but fantasy.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

All we know about Luna Inverse as far as I'm aware is that she's the Knight of Ceifeed, works as a waitress in her hometown of Zephilia, is ridiculously powerful and well known, and Lina is absolutely terrified of her. Provided they can make her live up to the hype I'd be down for actually meeting her in a future story arc.

Somewhat related, I'd also like to see Amelia meet Naga at some point since they're canonically sisters according to the author. The closest we've come so far is Nama in Evolution-R and a few off-hand references in try (she mentions having a scary older sister that's about Gourry's height and later Lina does the Naga Laugh and Amelia tells her to stop because she hates it).

Yeah they're sisters. Naga has PTSD about blood due to walking in on the assassination of her mom and strangling the guy with a wire spell. The outfit is actually something she found among her moms "secret stash" of outfits. Apparently she's gotten morphed into a walking armor or something a la Alphonse Elric.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

None of which is really mentioned in any actual media as far as I'm aware. In fact, I'm pretty sure nearly Naga's entire backstory exclusively came from interviews. Which is a shame because it honestly sounds pretty interesting (and kind of hosed up considering how much of a joke character she's usually portrayed as in the series itself).

She has apparently told Lina she's royalty, but Lina thinks it's bullshit and ignores it. She's the one who told her where at the crossroads to meet the prince of Seylun and her PTSD about blood was used(albeit for comedy) when she fainted in one of the OVA's. I'd definetly love to see her appear more since in some ways I liked the OVA's more than the series proper. It's rare that you get a badass girl duo series so I take em when I can.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I remember there was a post about isekai currency and who'd be on the dollar bills of said currency. Yuji Hori of Dragon Quest and Ryo Mizuno were the first two names posted, but I could definetly see Kanzaka being on a bill as well as on the Mount Rushmore along the aforementioned two. God I really wanna read novels, but translated material is scarce.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/Slayers_30th/status/1185735115957104640

The 30th anniversary Slayers project will be announced in March.

poo poo I forgot we had this thread. I really need to read the LN's and manga for these.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

So I’ve been rewatching this series lately (this time in English), and out of curiosity why did Ameila’s dub actress suddenly get swapped out after episode 13?

Also why is it that the series and the movies/specials were handled by two different dubbing companies?

This is why I watch the subs.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
1. Motion Picture
2. Return
3. Gorgeous
4. Great
5. Premium (I did like that everyone was in it, but 25-30mins is not enough)

You could probably interchange Return and Gorgeous every now and again. In general I liked the Top 3 a lot and can rewatch at any given time. Great and Premium were weaker entries. The OVA's were also awesome.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 7, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

1. Motion Picture
2. Return
3.Gorgeous
4. Great
5. Premium

Also in regards to the latter, what was the point of bringing Naga back if she only had two lines and never actually interacted with anybody?

This “movie” is also just barely longer than your average episode and Amelia just randomly disappears near the end and we don’t see her again until the closing credits.

Yeah that's why I rated it the lowest.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

While the original is still good, Bebop is one of the few anime I’ve seen that I feel actually works better in English considering its setting and theme.

I'd say Outlaw Star is another one who's dub works better as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Testekill posted:

So something that I really dig about the magic in Slayers, or more specifically the spells invoking Mazoku lords, is that they will flat out not work on the Mazoku lords. Shabarnigdo is immune to all of those spells because their power specifically comes from him and his generals and it takes what is essentially the embodiment of chaos to take him down. Also it's really neat that Gaav Flare doesn't work after Gaav is destroyed because it can no longer call upon his power.
I honestly just love how much effort was put into world building by Kanzaka when he could have easily just half-assed a fantasy world.

Him, Ryo Mizuno, Yuji Horii would be the faces on fantasy currency.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Wark Say posted:

While Tanjirou has a lot of traits that are very common for the average Weekly Shounen Jump MC, there is a moment at the end of the... Swamp Demon arc, if I don't misremember? where the former fiancé of one of the demon's victims gets all mad about Tanjirou not arriving sooner to avoid the tragedy and how he could never understand what he's going through because Tanjirou is just this little brat (he's like 14 or 15 at this point, I think?).

And Tanjirou, bless his dadgum heart, offers a sober, if not downright wistful smile that tells you everything you need to know about the boi, and suddenly the dude gets it. The dude understands that Tanjirou's had some awful, awful poo poo happen to him, but he's still soldiering on, because he's trying to get somethin' going for himself (and Nezuko, obv, but mourning dude don't need to know that last tidbit). I honestly got a little misty-eyed with that scene.

I've been keeping up with the manga for like a year and a half now, but I decided to also watch the anime, and I honestly think it elevates the material from the first few volumes to a pretty nice place, so I'm excited to see Ufotable continue with the adaptation to the end. Also, here's the anime thread if you wish to also post your thoughts there. :)

poo poo BEFORE that he showed the Hand Demon compassion and prayed for his soul. One of the biggest things about Tanjirou is that he shows compassion to EVERYONE that deserves it. The series has a few flaws with characters not being fleshed out til ways in and the whole thing with the Lower Moons and not showing their day to day hunting routines, but what it gets right it gets VERY right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

So is the Slayers manga any good/different or is it basically just an adaption of the anime? Also, how many of the light novels have been translated at this point (officially or otherwise)?

The manga is a bit more in-depth to the LN if I recall correctly and I'd like to know the same about the LN's myself though I've heard it's up t date, but requires Google-fu to find.