Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dr Pepper posted:

Give a Reason is still one of the best anime opening themes.
can confirm. i still have all (all) the OSTs that I painstakingly downloading from the anime Napster server or purchased from Pop Culture, my local anime store in Dallas back in ~2002, and subsequently spent hours tagging and categorizing.

Crabtree posted:

What exactly did Slayers do right that Lost Universe did so, so wrong?
idk but it ALSO had a fire OP. not even megumi hayashibara could save it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYl1a3DOc44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

My friend hates Megumi's voice
he isn't your friend

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're right, he's my landlord.
double guillotine

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am rewatching slayers for the first time in ~20 years in hi-def

you are all now aware that I am rewatching slayers in high-def

it's good. gently caress me up, Megumi

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

Yeah, some new novels came out a little while back and as I understand it the series is still fairly popular so I don't see much reason why they wouldn't revive the anime again at some point (at the very least they could give us a movie and/or OVA).

Also there was a little over 10 years between Try and Revolution so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility either.
goddamn, evolution-r came out in 2009? I thought it was just a few years ago!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

Yup, and before that we had Slayers Try way back in 1997. Point is, just because it's been close to a decade since the last season came out that's still no indication that the anime is dead at this point.
oh no, i was simply implying that I am dead at this point

i remember downloading realplayer fan subs of Try back when Clinton was president and now my knees hurt for totally unrelated reasons

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

I recently started rewatching the series myself recently (this time with the dub
MODS

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
all of you are being reported to The Lost Otaku for summary roasting

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god bring back ricequeen

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
oh my god weebs in 2019 are rejecting Megumi Hayashibara so they can listen to hours of Crispin Fuckman and not have to read

somebody put me in a loving home already

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

or... here's a thought... maybe they're both fine and it's not a competition, given we're no longer in the VHS days where sub and dub got sold separately
sorry but it is ABSOLUTELY a competition and it appears that the forces of evil are prevailing and nothing makes sense anymore

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is actually possible for normal human beings to follow dubbed.
how DARE you talk poo poo about Mass Naked Child Events

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy loving poo poo that's an ancient pull
and yet no love for the ricequeen reference?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

Only two people reading this thread know who they were
i was hoping Relin might show up and vote 1

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

All the more reason to steal it and in better quality too
seeing slayers s1 in hi-def 20+ years after downloading it over dialup in .rm format was a trip

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

L-O-N posted:

Are the Blu Rays in actual HD? I remembered reading that they were upconverts.
the ones i saw were 720p and if they were upscales, they sure looked great! but then again, all i can compare it to are .rm files and central park media(?) VHS tapes. the movies in Actual HD look fantastic, too

also i’m just now getting that your username was a slayers reference all this time and i will not be told otherwise

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

So I’ve been rewatching this series lately (this time in English), and out of curiosity why did Ameila’s dub actress suddenly get swapped out after episode 13?

Also why is it that the series and the movies/specials were handled by two different dubbing companies (though interestingly Crispin Freeman still voices Zell in both).
around ep13ish, Central Park Media stopped production for a year. when they resumed, the original VAs for Zelgadiss and Amelia didn’t return CPMs calls and were ostensibly busy with other work. Crispin Freeman doesn’t come in until ep 18 and that was the next appearance of Zelgadiss after the hiatus. Daniel Cronin was the original VA.

this kind of goofy poo poo is part of why old weebs don’t care for dubs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shinjobi posted:

Old weebs are joyless husks
we’re still angry about paying $23.99 for a VHS tape with two episodes on it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SolarFire2 posted:

The VHS dubs were all we had and we LIKED it. We LOVED IT.
accidentally grabbing one VHS copy of the dub of cowboy bebop at suncoast out of the entire set of subs still haunts me to this day

i wish i could remember who produced those

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
speaking of old weebs buying the wrong format, my order of the Gunsmith Cats blu-ray just shipped today, and i don’t own any means by which to play it. at least i bought the ~premium~ version of the thing i’ll never take out of the shrinkwrap!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Crispin Freeman is great though, and much better than the original VA.
yeah i’ve heard as much from other tittybaby dub-watching casuals :smug:

me and the rest of The Lost Otaku have never heard him speak before

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Nipponophile posted:

That would've been Bandai's short-lived US subsidiary. I don't remember the Bebop VHS's, but a friend of mine got their Escaflowne tapes, which came in beautiful hard clamshell cases with cover art from the Japanese LDs. I picked up Cowboy Bebop in their limited run DVD collector's edition in a numbered flip-top hard case.
these are the ones i remember getting at suncoast:

was anime village bandai?

i have that same flip top DVD box set. it was a genuine collector’s item at one point. serialized and everything. a little worse for wear after a zillion people borrowed it back in college though.

Larryb posted:

While the original is still good (and incidentally also happens to feature a female protagonist voiced by Megumi Hayashibara), Bebop is one of the few anime I’ve seen that I feel actually works better in English considering its setting and theme.
the dub being on adult swim for nearly two decades rotted the brains of millions. i was blown away when i first found out who voiced Faye, though. huge departure from Lina/Rei

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
are we getting a series or OVA to go along with “two thumbs up” or what