Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know I'm not the only imp who plays this, although IDK if anyone else is active right now. Wanted to make a thread for it so anyone interested can discuss the game, or if anyone is thinking about playing or w/e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also I wanted a place to repost this so Pablo could see it:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This is the most fun I've had with an MMO since City of Heroes back in the day.

I don't think I could ever justify subbing to a game in 2018 but if this ever goes fully f2p I'll be all up in that rear end once again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This is the most fun I've had with an MMO since City of Heroes back in the day.

I don't think I could ever justify subbing to a game in 2018 but if this ever goes fully f2p I'll be all up in that rear end once again.
MMOs really have to be the main game you focus on or else they're not worth the money at all. What'd you play?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TANK, which is usually my preferred choice. This is also one of the only MMOs that make the tank class pretty drat fun to play, it's insane how good this game is especially considering where it started

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, tanking is a ton of fun in this, and the three tank classes feel different to play in good ways. I haven't spent much time with Warrior, but I love Paladin and Dark Knight.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
anyone play on console? I got too much crap to play right now but i've always been tempted on and off to check out the free trial on PS4, it's just like 150 gigs lol so it's hard to do on a whim

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

goferchan posted:

anyone play on console? I got too much crap to play right now but i've always been tempted on and off to check out the free trial on PS4, it's just like 150 gigs lol so it's hard to do on a whim
It plays great with a controller, and you can access the same account on both PC and PS4 - they play on the same servers. The only thing is that going through menus is a little slower, and you can't chat as easily unless you have a PS4 keyboard.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Cool I'll definitely check it out but after Hitman and Smash and stuff it'll probably be like early next year. It definitely sounds like it's about as good as an MMO gets and i'm really down with final fantasy fan service stuff

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Haven’t played since well before Heavensward but I used to rock a Roegadyn Scholar with whatever the goon guild was. It was the first MMO I got really into since Rift, and I thought it was cool that I could play a healing+pet class that was actually fun and useful. Got pretty deep in the endgame grind, my group was up to the 4th coil of bahamut and the second floor of crystal tower

By far the most beautiful MMO I’ve ever played. The vistas and draw distance absolutely blew me away.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I played on PS4 and it was great, I never felt like I was lost trying to use a skill at a precise time or anything. The UI looks clunky as poo poo like in my screenshot lmao, but I had to make things huge cos I was sitting like 15ft away and it was the only way to see any text. Any wireless usb keyboard will work as well

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm not active but I quit only recently. It really was the only game I was playing while I was subbed and I wanted to play other stuff. I was a Black Mage mostly but I had swapped over to White Mage for a while before I quit. If I ever go back I'll level a tank.

The hard content is really fun, I do want to clear all of the stormblood stuff if I ever play again.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I've never gotten to the endgame, which is a shame because I want to explore more places and do bosses like the Phantom Train. I'm still just in the base game. But I just love chilling in this game. Hanging out, fishing, grinding for an alt class. I was initially very surprised that I enjoyed a game that forces you to do group content to progress this much, but the playerbase is very friendly and everything is just very chill. I think it's time to log in and check out the Halloween event.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It's a good game. I just wish I had the time or the drive to do the raids but it's too much of a pain in the rear end to find a competent group that is also pleasant to be around and Party Finder is like herding cats. I still resub every major content patch for a month and clear the newest stuff.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's a super good game but trying to get other friends to play it with you is so daunting cause its just so much game. I definitely have no doubt that just getting caught up in the story so you can do the new raids and see the cool classic ff bosses would take longer than a completionist run of any other ff game now.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's all worth it though because they keep learning from mistakes and adding on to the game with new mechanics and complexity each patch, so just starting out it feels a bit like a tutorial to an mmo and where the game is now the amount of aoes and patterns you dodge makes you feel like neo, no lie.

Every class has fun layered mechanics that they keep expanding too and the whole world is one of the my favorite gaming spaces of all time now cause the devteam spent a lot of time and care detailing it and making it feel alive.

Except for classic shooters the boss fights in this game are the most I've felt like i'm in 'flow' too. That feeling of everything else falling away and you're only focused on doing your job and dodging what the enemy is throwing at you. Its still an mmo based on popular mmos so theres tiresome bits in it but I could never stand mmos or even diablo style games and I love this one.

Get on Excalibur if you can and if you need help I'll play with you.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
I played this like 8 hours a day while watching the sopranos on my other monitor when I was unemployed and not in school. It was great. This was even before the first expansion so I'm tempted to pick it back up to see all the new stuff.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
this has some of the best boss fights ive ever seen and they all got their own unique fun tunes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eutu8EXcmk0

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIV is awesome but I'm not active. I'll probably resub whenever the next expansion comes out. I really like seeing all the raids and stuff once it fell behind one patch cycle and normal people could see the bosses.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

the only. MMO I ever played was final Fantasy 11 and people say that's pretty grindy. I've wanted to get into this but never got around to it. what makes it better than ffxi and even WoW?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The presentation and graphics and world building are much better than WoW, which isn't saying much but the spectacle of most of these encounters in Trials and Raids are just incredible. Definitely my favorite aspect of the game. The encounters themselves can be a little lame especially on the normal story modes but that's so everyone can clear them. I haven't raided at the highest level since 2.0 which was like 4 years ago now so I can't speak to how raids feel these days. I think the GCD being 2.5 seconds feels too slow which is why I play Ninja which has GCD reduction built in, but playing something like Paladin or Dragoon after playing Monk or Ninja feels like everything is going in slow motion.

I could probably write a book about FFXI at this point but there's no point in comparing FFXI and FFXIV they're not even in the same ballpark. Hell, FFXI hasn't been the same game since whenever Abyssea came out which I think was around 2011, and it's even more different in 2018.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i played ff11 at us release and i think im still grinding

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

the only. MMO I ever played was final Fantasy 11 and people say that's pretty grindy. I've wanted to get into this but never got around to it. what makes it better than ffxi and even WoW?

Honestly, there is 0 grinding in this game. I followed the main story and a few side quests and hit 50 or 60 in like 2 weeks. Nothing feels like a slog because you're constantly getting new skills and poo poo to try them out in. It's almost like the first 2 hours of a jrpg forever

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

this game sounds dope

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Also depends on what your goals are. If you want to just log in and kill monsters and do dungeons the game has zero grind. If you want to make a glowing weapon then you're going to be playing the game like a full time job.

Or if you're like me you decide you want to catch every fish in the game so you spend hours making the best fishing gear with the best melds and then you go to catch that one fish that only shows up when you have a 45 second buff that you get from catching other certain fish in a certain window of time and then you finally get it to bite but it gets away so you have to wait for the next window which is probably in another 4 hours or who the gently caress knows.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kongming posted:

Also depends on what your goals are. If you want to just log in and kill monsters and do dungeons the game has zero grind. If you want to make a glowing weapon then you're going to be playing the game like a full time job.

Or if you're like me you decide you want to catch every fish in the game so you spend hours making the best fishing gear with the best melds and then you go to catch that one fish that only shows up when you have a 45 second buff that you get from catching other certain fish in a certain window of time and then you finally get it to bite but it gets away so you have to wait for the next window which is probably in another 4 hours or who the gently caress knows.

lol, respect. Yeah I should specify I never made it to the endgame stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my favorite part of ffxiv was the war memorial that scrolls at the end of 2.0's story listing the account names of everybody who was a subscriber during the launch window and has canonically been killed by the apocalypse.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

This took probably about 10 attempts over several weeks and this is a fish that was from the previous expansion so I outgeared it by a shitload, plus I had access to skills that make it easier to catch that weren't available when the fish was released.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

In Training posted:

my favorite part of ffxiv was the war memorial that scrolls at the end of 2.0's story listing the account names of everybody who was a subscriber during the launch window and has canonically been killed by the apocalypse.

I was one subscription cycle away from being on that list.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
laughing about expansion fish

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, it's fantastically well designed in terms of the variety of content and optional stuff so you can put as much or as little time in as you like. You don't need a regular group and can just play it like a single player game with drop-in co-op and still have a good time.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Yeah, it's fantastically well designed in terms of the variety of content and optional stuff so you can put as much or as little time in as you like. You don't need a regular group and can just play it like a single player game with drop-in co-op and still have a good time.

Even the grind for the normal tier of endgame items means like, playing an hour or two every couple of days each week, not sitting there playing forever.

They made a thing thats more like a huge mmo open zone loveletter to ff11 though that has an alternate gear path you can take and that ones a grind.

Fartlancer
Nov 18, 2003
if only you could hellfish in real life

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

the apocalypse itself also one of the best cutscenes square ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

In Training posted:

I bought the collector's edition of ffxiv when it launched in 2010

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fargield posted:

owned

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

the apocalypse itself also one of the best cutscenes square ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

I think people really ought to appreciate a developer outright saying “ok we really hosed up this game, but instead of abandoning it and shutting down the servers we’re going to canonically wipe the slate clean and try again”

Has there been any other game with such an incredible turnaround from unplayable garbage fire to a standout of its genre?

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Fargield posted:

Same here. It's my biggest gaming disappointment by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kongming posted:

My girlfriend spent several months leveling all the crafter and gatherer classes to 70 and loved it. Some people really like the crafting and gathering in this.

• Locked thread