Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Yeah...probably gonna stick to my original plan of going up Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

Yeah...probably gonna stick to my original plan of going up Monday.

At this point might be getting too late anyway. Time was not wasted causing problems on I-80 as the storm has started rolling in, really starting things off with a bang here https://www.instagram.com/p/C38A-08xq64/

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Vail trip complete. My favorite runs were Big Rock Park and Grand Review in Blue Sky Basin and Born Free, Simba, and Lodgepole on the front side, plus all the random Kids Adventure Zone areas when I wanted to do some chill trees. Ran mostly blues because I'm bad at bumps and also just an intermediate skier -- I run blacks at Purgatory but without knowing the terrain and trails better I just wanted to have fun on blues.

Also lost a pole in a fall in the woods in In the Wuides so I bought some stupid Leki poles that people like. They seem fine and good.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got back from Breck. First time there on a Friday and it was kind of crowded. Snow was kind of meh but got better as it warmed up. Starting to think about biking...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

yeeeeessssss, it is indeed March, and time for everyone to think about bikes or something else besides skiing. please

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Steve French posted:

yeeeeessssss, it is indeed March, and time for everyone to think about bikes or something else besides skiing. please

My dude it's not even spring break. There's gonna be plenty of Texans in football jerseys still.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Residency Evil posted:

My dude it's not even spring break. There's gonna be plenty of Texans in football jerseys still.

ughhhhhhh can we not bring that up yet

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

yeah good point. best to go ride bikes instead of dealing with those people at the ski resort

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Pretty sure tomorrow will be my last day of (East Coast) skiing this year.

Yes, we had an unusual year because el nino and volcano, but looking out five or ten years I'm sort of expecting to look back on 2017-2027 as "the decade during which I watched East Coast skiing die".

Patterns are changing too fast and we haven't really had a year of decent snowpack (compared to my youth in the 90s) since I've lived here

Mad River raves about how they were open for more days in 2022/2023 then any prior season. This is true but also they let me ski on a lot of rocks and ice that would have been closed in years prior when better snow was likely.

The West Coast is doing better but a lot of the major resorts will need to move uphill. Like, raise their base camps 1-3000'.

I think I'm skiing through the end of the sport and into the end times. Had a conversation two weeks ago with a tourist from Quebec who said "my kid is taking a lesson today, but, I can't imagine that in 30 years there will be snow for him to teach his kids". I said "I agree but we'll be dealing with much worse problems than the end of skiing, in that scenario, right?" and e said "yes, of course".

Black pilled doomer cspam quebecoise!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yes, we had an unusual year because el nino and volcano, but looking out five or ten years I'm sort of expecting to look back on 2017-2027 as "the decade during which I watched East Coast skiing die".

Patterns are changing too fast and we haven't really had a year of decent snowpack (compared to my youth in the 90s) since I've lived here

Mad River raves about how they were open for more days in 2022/2023 then any prior season. This is true but also they let me ski on a lot of rocks and ice that would have been closed in years prior when better snow was likely.

The West Coast is doing better but a lot of the major resorts will need to move uphill. Like, raise their base camps 1-3000'.

I think I'm skiing through the end of the sport and into the end times. Had a conversation two weeks ago with a tourist from Quebec who said "my kid is taking a lesson today, but, I can't imagine that in 30 years there will be snow for him to teach his kids". I said "I agree but we'll be dealing with much worse problems than the end of skiing, in that scenario, right?" and e said "yes, of course".

It’s kind of wild to think that only one generation (boomers) will have gotten to experience like good lift-served east coast skiing for a full lifetime.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Yes and darkly ironic that the policies and politics of the same generation were instrumental to creating our doomscape :hmmyes:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yeah, and like Sugarbush bragging how they had one of the snowiest Januarys in last decade, and then leaving out that also had multiple thaw/freezes. Like we still get good storms, but then it's good for a few days instead of week+.

Definitely feel like more and more of my days are spent doing groomers as the bumps and trees are just garbage more often than not.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Yeah, and like Sugarbush bragging how they had one of the snowiest Januarys in last decade, and then leaving out that also had multiple thaw/freezes. Like we still get good storms, but then it's good for a few days instead of week+.

Definitely feel like more and more of my days are spent doing groomers as the bumps and trees are just garbage more often than not.

I'll ski garbage and rocks until I break my skis or myself, I do this stuff to stay in the woods :-|

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I had this same thought this year. I grew up learning to ski on the east coast at hidden valley/seven springs, both about 1.5 hours east of Pittsburgh, PA. Pittsburgh was never super snowy, but you could reliably drive out to those "mountains" during the winter and be able to ski without too much worry about coverage. It seems like those places are dying as climate change continues. Skiing has become expensive enough, and it seems like in the future even learning to ski may become impossible for all but a few.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Spring slush and 60 degrees out already today at Blue mountain PA, season might last another couple weekends here at best

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

I'll ski garbage and rocks until I break my skis or myself, I do this stuff to stay in the woods :-|
The woods base this year was super solid from January through to this latest thaw, just been mostly rock hard and crunchy. A con of working patrol is I feel like while I'm a much better skier than when I started 10 years ago, I'm also more risk adverse.

Skiing today though has been absolutely phenomenal, great spring skiing with nice corn snow on our expert terrain. Skiing powder is nice, but nothing beats in my book a bluebird spring ski day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Beaver Creek you glorious mountain. 15" blower day. Stickline laps were just awesome.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Our big local XC marathon is cancelled. Currently taking bets on whether Mont Ripley is still open at the end of the week. We never once opened up any of the trees this year.

Leaving for the alps in a week, good riddance to an awful season.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I was supposed to help set up for an XC race today, The Great Ski Race, a SAR fundraiser. Cancelled also. Due to the blizzard, though.

It used to go from Tahoe City to Truckee, then in 2022 they changed it to a loop from Tahoe City because they kept having to cancel it without enough snow for the full route.

So naturally the cancellation this year due to too much snow and last year a near cancellation for the same reason.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Heading out to Utah late March and I am trying to decide if I want to try to get one last Midwest trip in to warm up or if I should just do conditioning on mtb instead

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Today was a great day. Huge wind event last night, not like Tahoe huge but 94mph at the top lifts. Loaded the expert terrain on the other side of the mountain really nicely. The snow was super wet though which we are not used to, I dunno how you Pacific snowpack people do it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

The snow was super wet though which we are not used to, I dunno how you Pacific snowpack people do it.
more surface area on your preferred snow sliding device

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Today was a great day. Huge wind event last night, not like Tahoe huge but 94mph at the top lifts. Loaded the expert terrain on the other side of the mountain really nicely. The snow was super wet though which we are not used to, I dunno how you Pacific snowpack people do it.

Meanwhile on the east coast people are like, “I hope the sun comes out and melts this stuff so it’s not rock hard.”

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So, how did that Tahoe wedding turn out?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Skiing today though has been absolutely phenomenal, great spring skiing with nice corn snow on our expert terrain. Skiing powder is nice, but nothing beats in my book a bluebird spring ski day.

Yeah, an hour at mrg with kiddo convinced me to find time for a couple hours but myself today, saw a lot of fun terrain yesterday that I couldn't touch.

Looks like rain, but then maaaaaaaybe some snow on top? We'll see.

I did 230k vertical last year, 100 of it in March. I had been over last years averages until recently, have fallen behind (140k logged?) and I doubt I'll get another 100 in this weather but we'll see...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

spwrozek posted:

So, how did that Tahoe wedding turn out?

Let's see:
2 car crashes
1 minor concussion from someone falling on the snow
50% guest cancellation (or stuck in Auburn/Reno when 80 closed)
Way too much loving snow shoveling

Bonus: wedding aftermath

Got a car in there somewhere

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 4, 2024

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
They didn't get 80 open until 9am this morning so delayed heading up to Palisades until tomorrow. They took the whole upper mountain off schedule though so there should still be plenty of freshies to be had. I imagine KT was glorious today for the locs.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

They also got like 180mph winds so nothing up high is gonna ski like blower

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Kids had a snow day announced yesterday so I wasn’t able to get out. Multiple independent reports that it skied like less than a foot of wind buff. I imagine that’s an exaggeration but I’m sure it is quite wind affected regardless.

I skinned from the house with my neighbor and hit a rarely covered line on a bluff down from the neighborhood off a ridge with a quarry on the other side.

Snow was great, felt comfortable skiing it while technically avy terrain with high risk because it was bare before the storm. No signs of instability at all.

GoPro angled too far down. Oh well.

Nothing special, only about 100m descent, just novel being right out the back door where I normally don’t bother skiing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuM-l3cL_9w

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Regarding the wind up top: https://x.com/palisadesops/status/1764721976286076957?s=46&t=lgRB2UPvpgNoBYp4IrY_Eg

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bawfuls posted:

They also got like 180mph winds so nothing up high is gonna ski like blower

:blastu:

Some of the upper mountain is relatively protected (e.g. parts of Granite / Shirley area)....right??? 😬

Though with not getting the Funi open today I have a feeling Granite won't even open tomorrow

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’m not super familiar with the contours of the upper mountains in Tahoe.

I’m just very familiar with how Mammoth’s alpine skis after a big storm almost always accompanied by high winds.

It can snow 4 feet and ski like 4 inches with the wind. But at least it covers all the rocks and builds up base for the long spring.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

180+ is loving bonkers

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Whitefish ski patrol just overwhelming voted to unionize with the NLRB, and then there's a number of upcoming votes for other resorts (Solitude, Palisades, Keystone, Eldora). Hopefully this helps push the needle on figuring out how to make patrolling a sustainable job for these big resorts.

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024

Steve French posted:

Kids had a snow day announced yesterday so I wasn’t able to get out. Multiple independent reports that it skied like less than a foot of wind buff. I imagine that’s an exaggeration but I’m sure it is quite wind affected regardless.

I skinned from the house with my neighbor and hit a rarely covered line on a bluff down from the neighborhood off a ridge with a quarry on the other side.

Snow was great, felt comfortable skiing it while technically avy terrain with high risk because it was bare before the storm. No signs of instability at all.

GoPro angled too far down. Oh well.

Nothing special, only about 100m descent, just novel being right out the back door where I normally don’t bother skiing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuM-l3cL_9w

Where is this?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sitting in an expensive rear end Swiss resort with my only partially healed MCL, while my mates are out enjoying perfect conditions.
gently caress.

(Tried boarding this morning but didn't go well)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

BitAstronaut posted:

Where is this?

Not gonna lie it's a bit strange for someone to ask the same day they registered where an outing from my house is.

It's east side of Truckee, that's the Truckee river and in the background is I-80

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

El Grillo posted:

Sitting in an expensive rear end Swiss resort with my only partially healed MCL, while my mates are out enjoying perfect conditions.
gently caress.

(Tried boarding this morning but didn't go well)

Which expensive rear end resort? They range from "ouch" to "aieee"

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Tuesday Palisades trip report: did a few KT laps with poo poo vis before heading up the Funi to camp out for the upper mountain lifts to open. They opened Gold Coast, Shirley and I assume Big Blue at the same time and we were ~10-15th chair up Gold Coast and went straight to Shirley for a couple laps of mostly untouched before it got busy. For the most part it was pretty wind affected expected so it was skiing more like 6", but after that we started traversing high from the top of Shirley under Emigrant into the Granite Chief area and the snow there was great and actually skiing like 1'+ in spots. I believe we we started heading down around Rock Pile and subsequently traversed more and more until we were eventually we were heading down closer to Carnell's and ending up on the Granite cat track. Those runs made the day for sure and made up for Granite being closed.

e: also from chatting on the lifts, it sounded like Monday was kinda a poo poo show with 30 minute lift lines since most of the mountain was still closed

Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just got back from Lost Wonder Hut. It was a blast.
Great snow, great stability, really fun terrain. I will try to get some pics up later.