Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hut down in the trees in the middle of the photo

View from the front door

Near the top of our first line (I am on the left)

Tracks from right below the photo above

Lower pitches

Up to the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqPzUoluVg

Tracks from the trip. was pretty nice going back to the hut for lunch. https://caltopo.com/m/4BC0D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Steve French posted:

Not gonna lie it's a bit strange for someone to ask the same day they registered where an outing from my house is.

It's east side of Truckee, that's the Truckee river and in the background is I-80

Nice. Address and your SSN?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I too keep a detailed almanac of where all the other ski goons live

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Hut down in the trees in the middle of the photo

View from the front door

Near the top of our first line (I am on the left)

Tracks from right below the photo above

Lower pitches

Up to the video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqPzUoluVg

Tracks from the trip. was pretty nice going back to the hut for lunch. https://caltopo.com/m/4BC0D

Absolutely sick. The views make me really want to so the Monarch Crest this summer

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Going to Snowbird UT next week, staying in Sandy. Anyone got tips for how early to plan to leave for the mountain and if reserved parking is worth it or take the gamble on free? Will be there Thursday-Sunday, assume the weekends will require an earlier start.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
When I went last year, I found using Cottonwood Connect or just the regular buses to be way less stressful than driving up and trying to find parking (especially on powder days). Nice thing is that if the canyon closes, the buses also get to sit at the front of the line so you'll beat everyone who's driving up to the mountain.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I recently did Brighton and Solitude while staying in the city and riding the bus. It’s good and easy. If you plan on riding the bus make it a point to get on at the very first stop. During the weekend or a powder day it will be full from the start and if you’re at one of the other park and rides you’ll just look at a full bus just pass you by as you look at it longingly. Arrive at the first stop a good 20 minutes before schedule departure so you can sit the whole time too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just finishing up a week in Tahoe and I really felt like I massively improved as a skier during it. I've typically just raced down groomers, but with all of the recent snow, I pushed myself to get into the trees and ended up really loving it.

Definitely have a new appreciation for Heavenly, especially the woods on the Nevada side.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Heavenly has top notch tree skiing and mid-storm potential, sounds like you were there under ideal conditions

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Heavenly tree skiing is kinda magical, I really love it.

Probably heading up to Tahoe next week. I don’t have any resort loyalty and I’m coming back from an injury so I can kinda ski wherever - I don’t need crazy tree skiing this season. Normally I’d ski Palisades (esp with sports basement discount) but I’m concerned about how hosed parking is there. Is Heavenly parking also hosed with reservations? Are there any other resorts that are good up there without needing to wait for a parking spot drop?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Anyone have any recommendations for runs at Palisades? It'll be my first time there on Monday. I'd say I'm an intermediate snowboarder.

I guess I'm looking for ungroomed terrain, maybe some easier tree runs. Not looking for cliffs and drops.

It's supposed to snow a bit Sunday into Monday, so hopefully there'll be some ok conditions.

Edit: Steve French, my goon atlas says you're a local...

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

Tuesday Palisades trip report: did a few KT laps with poo poo vis before heading up the Funi to camp out for the upper mountain lifts to open. They opened Gold Coast, Shirley and I assume Big Blue at the same time and we were ~10-15th chair up Gold Coast and went straight to Shirley for a couple laps of mostly untouched before it got busy. For the most part it was pretty wind affected expected so it was skiing more like 6", but after that we started traversing high from the top of Shirley under Emigrant into the Granite Chief area and the snow there was great and actually skiing like 1'+ in spots. I believe we we started heading down around Rock Pile and subsequently traversed more and more until we were eventually we were heading down closer to Carnell's and ending up on the Granite cat track. Those runs made the day for sure and made up for Granite being closed.

e: also from chatting on the lifts, it sounded like Monday was kinda a poo poo show with 30 minute lift lines since most of the mountain was still closed

"skiing more like 6 inches" is pretty much the report I got from anyone skiing on Monday or Tuesday; I think if you weren't out mid-storm in the backcountry you didn't really get the benefit at all of how huge the storm was. Except that it'll pay off big time for spring skiing, that just saved our spring season, for real. Thank god, I'm ready to start mountain biking again soon but definitely not ready to stop skiing.

I was out Wednesday and didn't have high hopes, but it didn't even meet my low expectations. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good, either. Pretty average. Mostly fairly firm, some good but very unpredictable snow, so had to really hunt for it and guess where the wind blew things. A few times I went to some usual hidden spots thinking it'd be nice and sun/wind protected only to find real firm poo poo. Thursday was better partially because expectations were lower but also because the sun was out more and some of the south facing stuff softened.

This weekend must be interesting, definitely more crowds due to the 8 FEET OF POWDER hype (Palisades parking lots filled up yesterday for maybe the first non holiday weekday this year) but despite the storm conditions are not above average; there's been tons of sun baking and wind scouring, everything has been open for days and skied out, and the weather this weekend is cloudy and windy so they're not even getting the benefit of early spring conditions.

This bit from the avy forecast sums it up well:

SAC posted:

Most avalanche activity should remain unlikely today since cooler, cloudier weather should keep wet snow from forming and very little soft snow remains for the wind to blow around.

Anywho.

luminalflux posted:

Probably heading up to Tahoe next week. I don’t have any resort loyalty and I’m coming back from an injury so I can kinda ski wherever - I don’t need crazy tree skiing this season. Normally I’d ski Palisades (esp with sports basement discount) but I’m concerned about how hosed parking is there. Is Heavenly parking also hosed with reservations? Are there any other resorts that are good up there without needing to wait for a parking spot drop?

I can't speak to Heavenly but at least with Palisades to be honest if you get a reservation, which isn't that hard if you have the ability to try right at noon or at 7, it's less bad than last year, because at least you know you've got a spot, can head to the mountain when you want, and traffic doesn't get deadlocked waiting for parking that doesn't exist.

PolishPandaBear posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for runs at Palisades? It'll be my first time there on Monday. I'd say I'm an intermediate snowboarder.

I guess I'm looking for ungroomed terrain, maybe some easier tree runs. Not looking for cliffs and drops.

It's supposed to snow a bit Sunday into Monday, so hopefully there'll be some ok conditions.

Edit: Steve French, my goon atlas says you're a local...

If it opens, head to Shirley Lake / Solitude for mellow (blue) trees. If it's cold and not wet at the bottom, Paulsen's gully between Red Dog and Resort Chair is real good, a bit steeper, but a pain in the rear end if Far East isn't running, which for some mysterious reason it hasn't been on weekdays lately. For steeper than that, Granite Chief.

I'm less familiar with Alpine but if you're on that side, go to Sherwood and Lakeview.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

loving weird day at mad river. They got a foot overnight, with no base. I got there after driving through a lot of this

and the power had gone out. So, I caught a ride in a truck up as high as you can go on the road to cut in, and thought about bootpacking all the way up but I wasn't sure about uphill status travel and also getting that deep in the woods solo with no cell coverage seemed very dumb, so I rode easy stuff through the woods down to base.

I made a friend at base, and we started hoofing up and down a spot where someone had built a jump; I was just going for modest air, he was trying to 360. So, he lands one finally, but keeps at it and manages to break his loving arm on a bad landing. 10mph stuff, not much air, but that's all it takes. I hung out with him at patrol triage because it looked like he might need a ride to a medical center and there was no cell coverage but he managed to get hold of some of his family. Then the lights came back on like magic, so we exchanged info and said goodbye and I headed up four times.

Super thick and chunky stuff, blew up some great piles in the woods but there was absolutely nothing under it.

so all that was super cool, I felt like my ski was dragging on the last run and figured I'd picked up some ice in a puddle. Nope, I should be so lucky, when I got home I noticed this:

That's pretty loving bad! Rocks will do that. I'm up for new skis next year but not this year, so, I am going to have to see if the shop can do some kind of bullshit base repair here so I can get out a few more times this year. Or I move my bindings over to my backup skis; possibly that's a better plan, though, they haven't been waxed or used in 3 years and are also pretty banged up. A torch it is!!

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 10, 2024

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Doesn't look like any damage to your edges or structural damage to the core of the ski. Easy enough to fix with a base weld. After they fix it, you won't even notice it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Argh my ankle is jacked up and I’m supposed to go do heli drops on Saturday. Just gonna get it as close as I can and crank the boots down, I guess.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Doesn't look like any damage to your edges or structural damage to the core of the ski. Easy enough to fix with a base weld. After they fix it, you won't even notice it.

Hell, I was even thinking, last season with em. Clean it well, ptex it to hell, wax, profit.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Cabbages and Kings posted:

loving weird day at mad river.
I hope you were able to get out yesterday and today. The second foot of snow was proper powder and was way more fun to blast through. Did a handful of woods lines and it was nice not having a crust underlayer for once.

A nice short reprieve as we head back into full blown spring weather again.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A group of skiers on a tour died at the weekend here in Valais, up on the Tête Blanche which is on the Patrouille des Glaciers race route. It's kind of weird, the terrain up there is not that challenging although it's pretty high, 3700m.

From the reports it sounds like they were practicing for the race and were just in race gear, a storm came in and they got stuck, eventually dying from hypothermia. They were headed towards one of the cabins up there, but ended up trying to dig a snow hole and apparently didn't have great shovels. There has been loads of snow recently and I think the storm was forecast.

I think the main takeaway is just to always take proper gear... but I don't think I'd ever just take race kit for that kind of tour outside of the race itself.

https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/val...e-28433013.html

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

A group of skiers on a tour died at the weekend here in Valais, up on the Tête Blanche which is on the Patrouille des Glaciers race route. It's kind of weird, the terrain up there is not that challenging although it's pretty high, 3700m.

From the reports it sounds like they were practicing for the race and were just in race gear, a storm came in and they got stuck, eventually dying from hypothermia. They were headed towards one of the cabins up there, but ended up trying to dig a snow hole and apparently didn't have great shovels. There has been loads of snow recently and I think the storm was forecast.

I think the main takeaway is just to always take proper gear... but I don't think I'd ever just take race kit for that kind of tour outside of the race itself.

https://www.rts.ch/info/regions/val...e-28433013.html

Hopefully not as extreme as using one of these things https://skimo.co/camp-crest-shovel

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I suspect that's exactly what they had, it's what everyone carries on the Patrouille des Glaciers race

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I suspect that's exactly what they had, it's what everyone carries on the Patrouille des Glaciers race

:negative:

I have that shovel, was only used for the Grand Traverse where I was quite confident there was basically 0 avalanche risk, as a token shovel required by the race organizers. Would never consider using it for an actual outing, and wouldn't go out with anyone who was.

Did get a nice afternoon tour out on the west shore yesterday, snow was a bit deeper and better than expected. Last new snow for a few weeks here, probably.

https://gopro.com/v/vkMrkPXgErPpB

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

I hope you were able to get out yesterday and today. The second foot of snow was proper powder and was way more fun to blast through. Did a handful of woods lines and it was nice not having a crust underlayer for once.

I did not make it out Monday because of child and work related reasons but I made it out yesterday for longer than I really should, and ducked through today for a few more lines.

I thought yesterday was basically S-tier conditions at MRG, easily one of the 4-5 best days I had this year in terms of conditions and the stuff I like the most just being powder city in the woods. Today was fun, too, but the snow is slower and the woods were still fine but getting sketchy.

I might do another day of groomers at some point but I am pretty ready to hang it up for the year. Slopes says I've skiied 170k vert feet, 144 miles over 25 days out, and I know there were another 2-3 days I didn't track at all. I'm not going to hit last season's numbers for vertical but I made an explicit decision this year to chase quality over quantity and mostly had shorter days.

it's been sunny and crystal clear, too. Just an enjoyable end to a season that would have had a sort of lovely end if not for that last storm system.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I’ve been taking out that Mega Death from Capita in the French Alps. Goddamn, that thing is just ridiculously fast. When I’m for instance riding cat tracks, there’s definitely better skilled people, that I’m however hauling past with no effort, just because that base glides like a MF. God forbid there’s an actual decline. And these full carbon top and bottom sheets are hard to explain how different they feel from fiber glass.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Steve French posted:

If it opens, head to Shirley Lake / Solitude for mellow (blue) trees. If it's cold and not wet at the bottom, Paulsen's gully between Red Dog and Resort Chair is real good, a bit steeper, but a pain in the rear end if Far East isn't running, which for some mysterious reason it hasn't been on weekdays lately. For steeper than that, Granite Chief.

I'm less familiar with Alpine but if you're on that side, go to Sherwood and Lakeview.

Thanks for the tips here. Shirley Lake and Solitude ended up being pretty great because the runs were sheltered from the wind. We tried some Gold Coast runs too, but the winds swept everything away down to the ice, so those weren't very fun.

The cloud cover higher up on the mountain also got thicker later in the day and made it hard to see the snow, and of course I didn't bring my low light lenses.

Would have been nice to spend a couple more days there. Palisades is huge.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lol this is Eldora's snow stake.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I was a little worried about the avy danger at Silverton until we showed up and there were like 400 people in the lift line. Apparently the new owners lifted the limit on daily skiers. We waited an hour on the ridge to get on the heli. Fantastic day of skiing though.

BitAstronaut
Mar 7, 2024
Just moved to Longmont from Estes Park and looking for some ski partners if anyone is searching. Have my Level 1 and ski about 100% in the backcountry.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Going to Telluride for the first time this Friday, any recommendations for best runs?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Cut hard right after Claude’s couloir and ski the trees under that cliff band it’s v good

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

regulargonzalez posted:

Going to Telluride for the first time this Friday, any recommendations for best runs?

Oak Street Lift to Plunge Lift, then take See Forever alllll the way down to Village Express. The views are EPIC. Then take Village Express to Polar Queen for some more epic views near Bon Vivant. They have a really nice bathroom right there too. These are all intermediate runs IIRC, super fun though.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

PolishPandaBear posted:

Thanks for the tips here. Shirley Lake and Solitude ended up being pretty great because the runs were sheltered from the wind. We tried some Gold Coast runs too, but the winds swept everything away down to the ice, so those weren't very fun.

The cloud cover higher up on the mountain also got thicker later in the day and made it hard to see the snow, and of course I didn't bring my low light lenses.

Would have been nice to spend a couple more days there. Palisades is huge.

Glad the advice worked out well for you! Happy to help and if it ever worked out timing wise I'd be happy to show folks in this thread around.

I had a lovely day Monday and had an invite from two friends that day to go on a big ski the next day that I wasn't gonna take and then decided gently caress work and I need my mental health, so changed my mind and at 10pm decided to wake up at 4am to go to the other end of the lake and ski Pyramid, the highest peak in Desolation Wilderness (just shy of 10k, not that high but started at 6k and views were unreal).

Had a bit of hiking to start until we could start skinning

Most of the trees we were in, before getting above tree line, were in the Caldor burn scar

The view south as we started was across US-50, to Sierra at Tahoe, which had burned. It was not, as far as I know, wide open terrain like this before that fire.

The peak, this is with I think about 1500 ft of climbing left

Looking north from the summit. Mt Rose area on the horizon to the right, Palisades/etc area center, closer peaks on the right 1/3rd are Dicks/Jacks in Deso

Looking south, Lover's Leap in the foreground, Kirkwood in the background

Looking NW from the summit, the scary side of the mountain with big cliffs

Horsetail falls

Lover's Leap again, on the way out. Note the ski tracks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lover's Leap was the first spot McConkey ski based from wasn't it?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Lover's Leap was the first spot McConkey ski based from wasn't it?

I did not know that off hand but I believe you’re right

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The name triggered a memory and the images look a lot like what I recall from the MSP film about him where it was definitely discussed in depth.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Spring skiing day at Vail today. No new snow in a bit, so it was...alright. Fairly empty and I was pretty much able to ski on as a single.

A few times I thought "I should have stayed home and ridden my bike today."

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Obligatory spray for skiing in Rocky yesterday

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Anachronist posted:

Obligatory spray for skiing in Rocky yesterday

How was the stability in that second photo? Were those fresh roller balls?

By the end of our day Tuesday the snow had gotten pretty rotten. We had a safe route down but any patch we touched that was steep enough (only very short shots) reliably triggered a wet slide.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Steve French posted:

How was the stability in that second photo? Were those fresh roller balls?

By the end of our day Tuesday the snow had gotten pretty rotten. We had a safe route down but any patch we touched that was steep enough (only very short shots) reliably triggered a wet slide.

Pictures are out of order. All that wet action in the second photo was from the day previous. Things were just starting to corn up in that line. The second couloir was starting to get a little sloppy and we saw one little rollerball go while we were skiing. It had really slid the day prior also too though.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The east coast is f I r I n g

i didn’t bring enough ski I’m sinking into waist high stuff in the trees on 88s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I spent money I don't really have so I figured I'd share with you guys. I lurk a bit in here.

Quick story time:
I decided to get back into skiing. I've been once in the last 20+ years since switching to a board in my teens. I hadn't boarded in over 6 years. Since I was single again after being in a long term relationship with a gal that wasn't into snow I decided to grab an Ikon pass and hit mammoth a bunch. Last season I boarded since I still had my old board. Well my bindings broke immediately and ended up buying some new boots and bindings and a buddy gave me a board to use. The boots suck and it was frankly a painful but still fun experience. My goal for the duration of the pass was to use spring to get used to boarding again, which came pretty quick, and then this season get back on skis. So this last week I decided to rent. Ended up demoing and then buying since the demo price went to purchase and the boots fit sooo well. I tried a couple different skis of different shapes and it was probably my lack of technique and muscle but I was struggling. Never crashed but low sided in semi control a couple times. Got on these and was able to move around and build a little of the old confidence. I was trying to find some used gear leading up to this trip and was getting frustrated with the whole process so I bit the bullet and made the purchase. The poles were my grandfathers from the 90's. They did get a little heavy by the end of each day but I don't really know how to use them so that's on me.

Anyways having a blast, next time I go up I'll be working on carving smoother and weighting myself correctly as these things are bouncing and moving around quite a bit. Cheers! :cheers: