Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

George H.W. oval office posted:

My wife has a terrible time with skiing and more specifically ski boots. She has thick filipino calves\cankles and ski boots are absolutely not working out for her when we get rentals. Surely snowboarding is the answer as an alternative without having to drop hundreds on a properly fitted ski boot for an activity she does 1 day out of the year.

Snowboarding is the answer most times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Unless the question is touring

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I tour by heli drone with my board strapped to my feet

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Two-stroke engine

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I tour by heli drone with my board strapped to my feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj-pTjg

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah you don’t have one of those?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My skier girlfriend wanted to try snowboarding. Spent the day on the bunny hill at keystone with her. She did pretty well. Not quite linking turns but getting there. She was getting weight on the front foot at least. We will see what she wants to do going forward. We only got in one small tiff and then I figured out how to give her space and teach her. She is 37 but learned to ski at 23 and she stopped by falling down back then apparently.

Butt/hip impact shorts were clutch as hell though.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

My skier girlfriend wanted to try snowboarding. Spent the day on the bunny hill at keystone with her. She did pretty well. Not quite linking turns but getting there. She was getting weight on the front foot at least. We will see what she wants to do going forward. We only got in one small tiff and then I figured out how to give her space and teach her. She is 37 but learned to ski at 23 and she stopped by falling down back then apparently.

Butt/hip impact shorts were clutch as hell though.

No plush turtles?!????

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

No plush turtles?!????

She wanted one Lol but didn't buy one.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Spring skiing appears to have started a little early

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The snow machine is turning on across the best coast :dance:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

kiimo posted:

as it turns out I ski like I’m doing a squat and that’s why my thighs burn and I just thought that’s what skiing was.
Telling on myself here but... as opposed to? I try to lean forward as much as possible but my thighs are still usually the first thing to go.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

You should be skiing in an athletic stance. Slight bend in the knees but mostly upright.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Headed to Vail tomorrow, looks like just in time for some snow. Never been there, or anywhere besides Purgatory and Wolf Creek. Excited to check out a real, legit ski resort.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Headed to Vail tomorrow, looks like just in time for some snow. Never been there, or anywhere besides Purgatory and Wolf Creek. Excited to check out a real, legit ski resort.

Go to Blue Sky Basin if it's open.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

They've got a pretty neat little ski museum near the village parking garage. Worth a walkthrough if you have time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Go to Blue Sky Basin if it's open.

I was there yesterday and it was pretty icy. China bowl rocked as per usual

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

unless I was hallucinating I saw $259 lift prices at Heavenly this weekend (?). Ski there a few times and break even on the epic pass lmao

anyway enjoyed two sunny days at Kirkwood and Heavenly, finally

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I bought my brother some skis for his birthday

Immediately after ordering them he ruptured his ACL so is out for the rest of the year. :(

Beautiful conditions this weekend. The skin track got quite congested in places.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gonna be quite the conditions at Snowshoe for my annual ski weekend. :shepface:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

So for some dumbass reason, my gf's brother is getting married next week in Tahoe (Truckee) and it looks like it might blizzard that weekend

Atleast we planned to spend several days in South Lake Tahoe afterwards and ski heavenly during the mid-week

Edit: The summary of the open snow forecast for the wedding weekend

I hope everyone involved is planning on getting up here by early Thursday

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

190" of snow LOCK IT IN

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nice little bullseye on San Gorgonio. I hope it can hold up for 3 weeks cause I’ll of course be in Utah the two weekends after this big storm.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Fifty Three posted:

Gonna be quite the conditions at Snowshoe for my annual ski weekend. :shepface:

East coast today & tomorrow in the 50's with rain then it's gonna all freeze over lol why do I still live here

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Made it out to ski on Saturday at Mt. Hood - for some reason they had that deal I mentioned before available on a peak day ($70 for lesson, rentals, and all day lift ticket). Old snow, but absolutely gorgeous day.

The lesson was kinda a bust - the instructor spent about an hour just talking while we stood in the blasting sun, and had us walk uphill in the skis, so by the time we actually went down the hill I was feeling pretty spent. It was crowded too, so it'd be like 10 seconds down the hill then 5+ minutes in line to go up the carpet. I think I only got three or four runs down that tiny thing for the whole lesson. At the end of it, I felt really awkward on the skis and was worried nothing was coming back.

Luckily I decided to just go for the intro "real" run and see how I could do on something where I could actually get some speed and distance - low and behold things started to click. I'm sure I looked sloppy as hell, but at least I was able to generally go where I wanted and get a feel for what my skis were doing. One issue was my boots were too big - I practically rolled an ankle trying to engage an edge one time. Despite that, I ended the day feeling way more confident, and had a blast charging for speed and going hard on turns (within the realm of that intro run, but still!). Also it was pretty hilarious coming from the last couple of years slowly learning the snowboard - I fell exactly zero times despite having several "oh poo poo" moments that would've undoubtedly set me on my knees\rear end if I were on my board.

I'm stoked to get some gear and head up a bunch more this season. We're getting a pretty decent storm at the moment, so I'm waffling about taking my board out instead if I go this week, but I'm excited to hit some different trails on the skis, so we'll see!

Also, thanks again to the person who linked the Blister article. I might actually go for some skis they had in their suggested list, since I found them for $360 with bindings (new, last year's model - I assume SkiEssentials out of VT is legit). I figure I'll splurge on the boots and can always upgrade the skis later.

E: Looks like Ski Essentials is, in fact, super good, so I'll probably pull the trigger as soon as I get some boots (so they can preset the bindings). Probably a bit of a wait on shipping cross-country unless I pay a bunch to expedite, but I suppose I can rent just skis for the time being and it won't be too bad.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 26, 2024

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Varg posted:

East coast today & tomorrow in the 50's with rain then it's gonna all freeze over lol why do I still live here
Can't wait for more skiing on hardpack, as that seems to be the only constant for last couple of years. Really does feel like anytime we get snow that makes for a good base, it rains a week later, and then multiple thaw/freezes per month. Climate change really does suck!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

PNW storm today made for a pretty fantastic day at Stevens Pass. Fresh powdery tracks most of the day, blue sky peaked out a few times, and while a lot of people also took a sick day today, lift lines were mostly quick. I only paid with some skin that a tree took off my knee, but still better than what Vail asks for.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Steve French posted:

I hope everyone involved is planning on getting up here by early Thursday

Do you think we're going to see the upper mountain open on Sunday, or not until Monday?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

There's a little bit of snow at Big White

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I went to Baker on Saturday and hit rocks and dirt because that's when my friends were up there.

I'm thinking about taking Thursday off.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

Do you think we're going to see the upper mountain open on Sunday, or not until Monday?

I think there's a good chance? I'm no expert and have no inside info here, but in terms of big storms this one has good odds as there's not supposed to be a lot of wind Sunday, and for avalanche risk it's coming in right side up (warm then cold). That said, apparently some of the models are showing possible snow into Sunday, and with the amounts they're gonna get it might take a while operationally to open upper mountain terrain (cutting cat roads, getting lift maintenance in to shovel everything out and spin chairs, and then patrol doing all the avy control routes).

A tough call if you're thinking about coming up, since I think you'll have to get here by mid-day Thursday and that's a decent long time to wait out the storm for a chance at upper mountain on Sunday.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ah yes, the gods know exactly how to punish me. Stomach bug on one of the biggest days of the year.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

drat. We got robbed.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It’s been about 16 years since I saw the snow, and we’ve resolved to fix that moving forward but the family and I managed to sneak away to NC this last weekend (we’re in Florida).

I’d been snowboarding a few times but I decided to switch it up and go skiing because a. I’m in my mid-30’s now and didn’t feel like falling all day and b. I have a pair of Blizzard Magnum 8.0’s sitting in my garage brand new since I won them on the price is right almost a decade ago.

First day was kind of rough but I think I outshined all the 10 year olds in my ski class. I did ok the rest of the day, only fell once but mostly stuck to the magic carpets.

Something clicked day two though at a different resort and I pretty much threw my skis on and felt so much more natural. I ended up looping their beginner chairlift like 19 times and I’m hooked. We were hoping to get a longer trip out next year but I’m glad I was able to get a taste because I had a blast.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cais posted:

I have a pair of Blizzard Magnum 8.0’s sitting in my garage brand new since I won them on the price is right almost a decade ago.
this is the best sentence anyone's ever posted in this thread

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Really want to see how the skis were described on the price is right.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Really want to see how the skis were described on the price is right.

I checked and sadly the copy I saved off YouTube a few years ago comes in mid bids but this is what the recap had:

his-and-her intermediate ski package
pair of skis with an all-terrain rocker for her
pair of skis with 3D.RIDGE technology for him
boots included
(Skis.com plug)

Edit: forgot to mention but when you win they send you the stuff on stage. What, asking for boot sizing? Nope, you get whatever size the manufacturer sent us and you’ll like it.

Cais fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 28, 2024

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

First day @ Vail was today. Snow had been promised, starting Monday and all night and into Tuesday. No snow Monday evening. No snow Monday night. Finally just starts snowing at 7 am Tuesday and I'm gonna catch the shuttle at 7:15. I debate and go with the Montero ARs instead of the Sakana's (closest thing I have to a powder ski). And of course over the next 3 hours we get about 7" and 11" total today. China Bowl was closed and getting to Blue Sky Basin seemed complicated and anyway it was windy af on open runs with horizontal snow just loving my face up. Balaclava froze solid. And that adds up to a 10/10 day! So much fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

regulargonzalez posted:

First day @ Vail was today. Snow had been promised, starting Monday and all night and into Tuesday. No snow Monday evening. No snow Monday night. Finally just starts snowing at 7 am Tuesday and I'm gonna catch the shuttle at 7:15. I debate and go with the Montero ARs instead of the Sakana's (closest thing I have to a powder ski). And of course over the next 3 hours we get about 7" and 11" total today. China Bowl was closed and getting to Blue Sky Basin seemed complicated and anyway it was windy af on open runs with horizontal snow just loving my face up. Balaclava froze solid. And that adds up to a 10/10 day! So much fun.

Windy day at Vail = lap Northwoods.

China bowl should be good tomorrow though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Splinter posted:

From the horses mouth: https://blog.palisadestahoe.com/operations/operations-update-the-biggest-storm-of-the-season-is-on-the-way/

My interpretation: don’t expect upper mountain on Sunday