Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Math You posted:

Hi thread,

All of my favourite kit have come from recs in this thread. I require your services once more!

I'm looking for new snowboard boots. I'm currently using like 7 year old Burton imperials. Admittedly probably sub 20 day seasons on average during that span, but they are starting to cause some issues around the ankle strap since I got much stiffer board last season
Fullbag Diamond Blade (THANKS THREAD)

So. I'm looking for new boots. The imperials are the stiffest boot I've ever owned so I probably don't want to go quite HYPER stiff, but definitely on that end. All I do anymore is go fast and carve hard, but comfort is still #1

My local shops sell lots of Thirty two, Deeluxe, K2, Ride, Burton and Vans

Obviously I'm going to select the boot that feels best to me, but I wouldn't mind some help narrowing things down!

TIA

Ignoring the whole get what feels best I have rode a lot of 32 boots and they are probably my favorite boots. Started long ago with the lashed and went on to the TM2 and such. I think they are great boots. I am currently using the deeluxe XV which is Xavier's BC boot. I really like that boot and ride it everywhere right now. I would skip Vans boots but if the others fit they are fine. Just research the boots and flex and such and be well equipped going in.

I have a pair 32 TM2(3?) Jeremey Jones in size 8 that are just a touch too small (foolish me) that I am trying sell if you find that boot works for you and is your size. I put maybe 10 days on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skiing already happening in CO sooooo yeah I am going to pass on toilet cleaning videos.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

If you're far enough east that you're in the rockies, you're not in a region with "Pacific" in the name anymore :colbert:

Also you get to ski drier, fluffier, and all around better snow so yes lets keep the Canadian rockies as the powder highway and the PNW as concrete powder fun time. no combining them or the snow may suck in the rockies.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

I also don't enjoy powder skiing...

Goondolences.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s a good point. I’m one of those people currently since I have to travel by plane to ski. I think the best place people mentioned near where I’ll be at Peek’n Peak, which has 25 runs and some blacks. I think someone also mentioned Holiday Valley if I want to drive a little further. Definitely better than nothing. Where do you ski from NJ?

Peak n Peak, Holiday Valley, etc are all pretty OK places east/midwest. The nice thing about where those places are at is they can get pretty good lake effect snow. So instead of pure ice you can have some soft snow to ride.

We used to drive over from Toledo as a kid. We would either head over there or go to northern Michigan. Always a great time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You were on jeopardy?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I skied today. Very nice at keystone. Good snow and zero lift lines. It was very strange for November. Hopefully good things to continue!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bringer posted:

How good of a skier do I need to be for heli-skiing to be worth it?

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

You generally you need to be able able to ski resort blacks. The people you go with are all going to be black diamond skiers. Unless you have a whole bird (so four people) at your ability you are either going to be slowing everything down and making people mad or you are going to have to wait out runs or something.

For the price though it is a loving steal. Through in another $100 for the lead and tail guide and just drat is that cheap.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kalman posted:

In honor of the earliest DC area snow I’ve been here for, if you like Nieheus trail maps, he’s kickstarting a book of them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orsc/james-niehues-the-man-behind-the-map

This is sweet. Backing this one for sure.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Landsknecht posted:

Day heli is a rip; 3000m is a good weekend of touring, or like 2.5 runs at kicking horse

tbh it's worth it if you want the experience, but otherwise meh

I would disagree. Stellar is nice since you will get 3000-5500 meters in (it will depend on what the snow pack looks like), the bird only has room for 4 and the guides (so much less tracks), and for the price, the price is killer. Just up the road Selkrik Tangerines charges $1115 USD for a day, this is about $450 USD. Heck a day pass at Vail to wait in lift lines on a powder day is $200.

Is sled access and skinning more fun in this part of Canada? I would say yes generally but the price is hard to beat.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Do they sell snowboard stuff too, or just ski? I am not seeing any snowboard stuff on their site.

I believe only ski gear.

Online is your best bet. Epic gear had a coupon right now for some amount off if you want to go in person.

You could call Evo and see if they have anything but doubtful.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Also I am selling a Jones Solution split 154 if anyone is interested. It is 2 seasons old and in really good shape. Looking for $500.

https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/jones-solution-split-154/6753375376.html

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Uber is not feasible up there, especially to get to the skiing. I am not a huge Vail fan and I ski a lot of keystone, I like Beaver Creek, neck is good but not fun when it is really windy. Most of the breweries are kinda meh, broken compass being the best imo. There is a new one in frisco that I hear good things about though. A-cafe is a great spot for food. There is a free bus system as well but a car is useful. Also do you have an epic or epic 4 day pass? That will be cheaper than day passes. You might consider a copper day depending on your pass situation.

E: if you are there the weekend of the 8th I will be riding solo that weekend and could be down to meet up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rode my new split today, put a core shot in my new split today......................... Fixable but drat it sucks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yuns posted:

drat that sucks. Was it a low coverage issue?

Coverage was good actually. Oh well. Nothing a little base weld can't fix. Buy them to use them and all that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Another fantastic powder day. Another core shot, this time on my skis... It is funny that conditions are excellent with good coverage, just bad luck. I have never had such legit damage in 29 years of riding. At least the skiing was fantastic.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

I70 is apparently a parking lot, no one drive on it (emergency shelter open in Frisco).

Yeah, so glad I got a place up in Dillon..... Our friends just made it out in time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

I’m reading CDOT twitter, what caused all the issues? Or are we officially at “literally closing I-70 every time it snows…because too much humans”?

It was snowing a lot and very heavily. It was also very windy. Our friends who made it out said they passed 25 cars just f-ed up to the tunnels. People don't take snow tires and driving safely very seriously realistically. It is very bad out though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yes, underfunded C-Dot is not the problem. People who bring the wrong vehicles with terrible tires and "must" get back to Denver are.

Also snow tires do make a huge difference even with AWD. A Subaru with snow tires is a beast.

E: yeah, I have no idea how people day trip from Denver. After 4 years of having a place I can't imagine going back.

E2: the real solution to the road issue is when the traction law is in effect the m they have check points and you can't go past if you don't meet the requirements.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 25, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If anyone can afford the licensing rights it would be Vail. Great name though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fixed my bases and they look great. hopefully everything holds together well.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Varg posted:

lmao good to know I'm not the only one

Hand drags on big toe side turns! I am not sure what else can be better, especially in powder!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fifty Three posted:

Bit the bullet and rented skis for my local days this year. Almost worked my way up to the recommended length for my height and weight! :v:

I am pretty sure you actually can't get correctly sized rental skis. My buddy was on 167 last weekend and is 6'5" 190lbs...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Smooth...

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/news/canada/admitted-to-taking-down-endangered-trees-lake-louise-ski-resort-to-be-sentenced-264098/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skiing powder is fun. This season has been great so far

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eegit and ironlung are. I am over in Dillon/Denver.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I did more riding today. Colorado is shaping up nicely. The BC was prime (although it was 6F this morning!).

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq55djFguWO/

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The real answer is to carry them with love.

If not on a backpack it is tips down, front of binding behind shoulder. The only way. Like Bawfuls posted.

E: yes I am that lazy from the gondola to parking lot at keystone...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 5, 2018

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rated PG-34 posted:

Apparently skiboarding is a thing. Looks hard to really carve on them. Anyone actually tried it?

It was a thing in 1998. I am pretty sure mine and my brothers are in my dad's barn. In college we used to ride them on Wednesday nights for fun. Hey them from the rental shop for free. It was stupid but fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

TMMadman posted:

Nobody carries their skis flat though when carrying tips up. They are still angled up and they are easier and takes up less space removing them from your shoulder.

Never been to a ski resort eh?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rated PG-34 posted:

https://youtu.be/_X5LYEDRWFE

Saw this vid show up in my recs and looks like they still make them. That YouTube guy wears them without releasable bindings lol

They all came without releasable bindings at first. Hilarious if the still make them. I love seeing people trying to ride them on a powder day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

did they ever come with releasable bindings? i've only ever used an OG pair of snowblades that i got when I was like 11

those things fuckin ruled. we used to take em out on powder days and see how many moguls we could clear while intentionally cratering

When I was at tech we used to ride them at Ripley for fun. They had like 30 pair in the rental shop.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Got to have that steezy style. Turns good too.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

Just sit in a wagon and have someone pull you and your gear...

That is next level right there

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

100g is not much insulation. You will just not need an additional base layer. You might be hot in March. It will be a good jacket from November to March 1st. Open the pit zips if hot. Overall fine jacket.

E: I only get jackets without insulation though personally. Also in Colorado.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The forecast for snow in the Pacific Northwest is insane.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Trew has all bibs 31% off tomorrow

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Skied with a bunch of Texans that I work with at keystone today. It was super fun. I am not really sure what is going on but everyone must be on the icon pass this year because there is just no lift lines.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

So how did they carry their skis

Either tips down or like a hot mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

fknlo posted:

I'm sure that last year probably had some sort of effect on people planning early season trips for this year too. I work a decent amount of the ski country flights and it hasn't been very busy yet but I think that's pretty normal. The week around Christmas is where it really picks up.

Could be. Just use to more traffic this time of year.