Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone have any particular suggestions for places to ski that are in the eastern PA area?
everywhere sucks, blue mountain sucks the least though probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Mr Newsman posted:

East coast... good???
Not right now when there's no mountains open and I spent 3.5 hours in the car going nowhere from work to end up posting now from a whole foods until they close

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Moot . posted:

Oh and don’t get in the habit of dragging your uphill hand(s) on the ground or you will end up with wrecked shoulders like me.
lmao good to know I'm not the only one

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

highme posted:

This Master Level version of this technique is to hold your board by the front heel loop while you drag the tail.

I do this but I stop and pick it up before I get to the concrete...

Doesn't matter which way you try to carry a snowboard though because the edge always rubs against your clothes and eventually rips them.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Did you do something cool looking at least while breaking it?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

man I quit working at mountains because of the increases in bullshit management rules, sucks to see it still happening. I just wanted to chill and ride in between teaching lessons but nooo, you can't be trusted to be a responsible employee and check in and out to see how busy it is, you have to be monitored at all times :rolleyes:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I drove up to Vermont this weekend, after a couple days on "fast and firm" conditions, today it's been snowing for a few hours and is gonna continue through the night.. 6-10 inches expected. Sugarbush should be good tomorrow and start to get back into shape after the usual melt then freeze session that happened the past week.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Master_Odin posted:

Yeah, the bumps were in pretty dire condition after everything locked up Friday late morning, with the groomers rest of the weekend getting nice cat ice patches through the day. Hopefully the snow was heavy and sticky enough though that it bonds to the steeper lines of FIS and Black Diamond.

I was at Ellen today, the woods over by Inverness were really good and pretty untouched. They probably got about 8-10 solid inches, though they claimed it was a foot :shrug: Today definitely made the trip worth it

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Niche boards?

The only thing I remember about one friend's Niche board some years ago was that it had a super aggressive form of magnetraction, and he kept catching an edge and eating poo poo on seemingly normal carves because it was so weird to get used to. I don't know if they eased up on the magnetraction cut or not since then, but seeing that didn't make me want to buy one.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Master_Odin posted:

Related to this, I ran into a bunch of people both on chairlifts and on trails who went down black diamond trails at Mt. Ellen and then were surprised when there were bumps/steep and icy and regretted their decisions over the holiday weekend.
I don't go ride during holiday weekends, it's not worth putting your life in the hands of thousands of out of control jerrys

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

A high school senior fell off a lift and died at Blue Mountain in PA recently. Never found out how, kinda feel like a dick for still wondering.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

hahaha https://www.instagram.com/p/Bun4eTkB0hw/

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I can carve decently and cruise pretty quickly going switch after years of forcing myself, but as soon as I hit a bumpy area I usually just revert back cause it's still awkward as hell

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'd say get a Subaru Outback but you probably think it's ugly haha. I got a Crosstrek a couple years ago and I love it.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Nutsack Rangoon posted:

Maybe a sad question but: I'm moving to NJ in the fall. What's my best option for a mountain?

Blue Mountain - probably the biggest option
Camelback - prob the 2nd biggest
Shawnee Mountain - family oriented place for mostly newbies
Mountain Creek - I haven't been there in a long time and can't remember what it's even like, but Yuns goes there
Jack Frost - small place with short but fun trails
Big Boulder - small place for all park riding
Elk Mountain - maybe the furthest away but has some good trails

I barely go around here anymore and just end up saving my money for trips to Vermont.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I know Blue Mountain and Jack Frost make some bumps, and you can go through trees a little at Jack Frost since they intentionally blow snow on the sides of some trails for it. "Good" is not really the word I'd use to describe it though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Landsknecht posted:

really the cool people are doing tele turns in leather boots
or they're on a monoski

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ok this is the coolest jump trick I've seen in a long time https://www.instagram.com/p/BxSX_dqngwv/

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

spwrozek posted:

I think the big hitter is getting mount snow and all of DC and Philly.

Mount Snow is already an overly crowded shitshow every time I go there, maybe this will decrease traffic? I doubt any attendance changes at JFBB, hopefully day ticket prices aren't jacked way up though.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

:( Well, they're the smallest hills in the Poconos, weekend day tickets are already $68. If they go much higher it's not gonna be worth it, and I don't ride in PA enough days as it is to buy a season pass for anything. So, I guess I'm on the "gently caress this" train.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Those are pretty cool.. and here I am with one 6 year old board that I should probably replace soon. I've never ridden a Never Summer but I was looking at almost buying the Proto last year which seems to be my type of more playful ride.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm using ThirtyTwo Lashed boots, and I figured out I should barely be pulling the on the inner liner drawstring or else I'll get pain/numbness on the top of my foot/ankle after the first run. Bindings really don't affect it, it's just the inner boot liner being too tight. Before the Lashed I had JP Walker's boot model from ThirtyTwo, and didn't have any pain problems since it was a much more flexible boot and didn't have such a harsh lock on the ankle. Seems like you just need to try different boots.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

you might as well just snowboard my dude :getin:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ski and Snowboard 19/20: Whistler is full and all the devils own Vail

Varg fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 18, 2019

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Only times I've stayed in Killington was in a ski in condo and we brought enough to drink and eat so we never had to attempt to go out after riding

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Just don't take a lesson on holiday weekends. I'd have 15-20 kids in a group all day in an overly crowded learning area and it's impossible to have them accomplish anything that way. Dumb parents just throwing their money away.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Steve French posted:

I mean, my kids also don't learn to ski when they go to daycare

Haha yeah I guess a lot of people would think of it like that, just don't expect your kid to know what they're doing when I gotta rush back and forth to spend a total of 5 minutes with each kid

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/12/05/today-we-went-skiing-indoors-in-new-jersey/

Our indoor ski slope opened up today. I missed opening day because of work but its run by the same parent company as Mountain Creek. Even with how tiny it is, I intend to hit it all summer so 100 day seasons here I come.

"small terrain park".. you mean a tiny jump and box, and a seemingly unhittable sideways rail on a mound lol. I'll probably end up going once in the summer on a Friday night after work since it's pretty close from there, but drat that looks even sadder than I expected.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

That's just snowboarder discrimination I tell ya what :bahgawd:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Mount Snow was always really crowded every time I've been there but never experienced any of that behavior. Mad River Glen is a skier only mountain near Sugarbush, and there's still a good amount of skiers around that area that want to keep a place just for themselves, but there's never any real hostility, besides passive aggressive bumper stickers..

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My experience in New England has been mostly unpleasant regardless of time of year, so it might be a cultural thing. Although I thought Vermont was supposed to be full of relaxed and chill people.

Vermont is 1/4 chill people, 1/4 farmers, 1/4 rich dicks, 1/4 weird druggies

Varg fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 10, 2020

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

ugghhh inject this poo poo right into my veins

I'm finally gonna get out this weekend in PA since all the trails should be open, then next weekend in VT at prob Stowe and Jay. There's some kinda storm brewing for this weekend so hopefully it turns out to be more snow than rain.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Classic Mountain Creek holiday weekend: fight in the lodge, marriage proposal on the slopes and as much weed as the entire state of Colorado. Of course, it starts snowing as soon as I pack up the car to leave. At least the crowds were light this year.

Also, I have an issue. Our ski team end of season celebration trip is going to Mad River Glen and I am, of course, only a snowboarder. So I have to rent some skis and learn how to ski at MRG. How do I make the transition to skiing? And what can I chuck myself down at MRG if I don't care that much about safety so long as I don't actually die or break anything.

Just go to Sugarbush instead and enjoy snowboarding, visit Splinters boardshop, get food/beer at The Mad Taco in Waitsfield, and get more beer at Lawson's.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hey, it's me two weeks ago.

So, I have super wide feet. Like, gross loving frog feet. With high arches and a high instep, which make tall boots very difficult (just picture my foot like a ham with toes). Anyway, back in 1999, the last year that Airwalk made the Freeride boot, I got a pair of custom extra wide 10.5s, and they fit perfectly. And because of the internal ankle strap, I could easily get the boot on and off. Comfy like bedroom slippers. Perfect.

They fit so perfect that I milked them for 21 years. Granted, the last 5-6 years I've only gone riding 2-3 days a season, but hey soft boots last forever, right?
Well, they held up great until the back stiffener failed while I was riding:

Guess which one is my back foot?
Suddenly I could not carve so good anymore. :)

They had been cracking for years, with small parts falling off, but once the back broke, they weren't really snowboard boots anymore.

So, I'm thinking of buying the Burton Proton, those come in wide. Any one else with wide feet own the Burton wide boots?

Oh man I had an Airwalk snowboard as my first one ever purchased and it was a total piece of crap, that's amazing that those boots lasted that long. I just tried on a bunch of new boots and ended up spending $467 on these Grenier TM-3's this week while I was at Killington Sunday-Tuesday, so now I'm going to attempt to make them last for 20 years as well.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've watched this everytime it got posted anywhere and I still laugh at the slowmo shot of the cat looking at the camera after the rail

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

kinda lol'ing at the idea of liftees policing things any more than they already (don't) do

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've been wearing Candygrind's "CG" gloves for a while, with a good nikwax treatment they're pretty durable for years. https://cghabitats.com/collections/gloves-mittens

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

First rule of instructing is never teach your SO/family/friends unless you want them to hate you because "you make it look so easy" and they'll just get frustrated quickly

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

FYI those are probably New Yorkers messing up our beautiful (sometimes) state of NJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Sorry I don't ride PA. I stick to NJ/NY/VT/NH and Quebec mostly. My friends who do ride in PA are mostly snowboarders who mostly care about terrain parks and ride at Blue and JFBB so not sure that would be the best fit.

Residency Evil posted:

FWIW, I've heard Blue Mountain is "okay." Maybe we'll get snow out east this year? Maybe we'll try to head out west this year, but who knows what the situation's going to be like. I'm not super hopeful.

Blue doesn't even care about building a real park anymore, they figured out it's not worth pumping out all the snow for it when the weather allows the season to last for maybe 3 months, and all the best park riders just go to Big Boulder. Blue and Camelback are the biggest though, so those should be your first choices. Elk Mountain is also one to check out if you want to drive further north and prob make it a 2-day trip, but it's worth it since it gets a way smaller crowd than the others mentioned.