Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Woo, new snow thread.

Third year going out west for a ski trip for me. This year it's Lake Louise at the beginning of February. :toot:

Recommendations on things to do in "town" are appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Go eat at Touloulou's in Banff for breakfast, but get there early (like 7:30) or you won't get a seat. I loving dream of that place. If you're willing to go out to Canmore for the best poutine on the western side of the Rockies (or close enough) then La Belle Patate there is amazing and I 100% would make the drive out for it, simply for the true Canadian experience since IIRC you're American. Eat a poutine and a smoked meat sandwich for maximum Quebecoisness.
Awesome! I appreciate the food recommendations, especially since it doesn't look like there's much of a nightlife scene either.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Good to know. If I could do it over again I probably would have booked a hotel in Banff rather than in Lake Louise itself. As it is we probably won't have many options for going out and getting back to Lake Louise at the end of a night. Oh well, still gonna be dope.

Edit: Looks like there's a Lake Louise-Banff bus. :getin:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I wonder what kind of year western PA is gonna ha- ahahahahah :suicide:

I may not even bother renting skis for the season this year.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2018

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bit the bullet and rented skis for my local days this year. Almost worked my way up to the recommended length for my height and weight! :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I am pretty sure you actually can't get correctly sized rental skis. My buddy was on 167 last weekend and is 6'5" 190lbs...
First try for me. Asked for 165ish, he came out with 165s and 167s and let me pick. :shrug:

Too bad they're cheap learner skis. One thing at a time, I guess.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even thought about which way my skis point when I carry them. Apparently carrying them tips-up is some major faux pas? I loop my poles over one tip and hold onto them all at the bottom and it handles and balances fine. :shrug:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I drew you a picture.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yes.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I imagine everyone in the line wants to ask you but is hesitant to cause any confrontation.
It's this.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I skied for the first time this season.

My tendons are tired.

Two and a half weeks 'til Lake Louise! Renting Brahma's, super excited to try a good ski for the first time ever. Please baby Jesus let there be fresh snow.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

One of my ski buddies demoed those last year, fell in love, and bought them. After our runs last week he's really happy with his purchase
Good to hear. I've basically only ever skied on entry-level rental skis so I have no idea what to expect but I'm stoked.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Where does everyone buy their used gear, if they don't live near a mountain? Craigslist is just a million pairs of 40-year-old straight skis.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's definitely normal to constantly refresh weather forecasts from various sources and decide the most favorable must be the most accurate, right?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Growing up skiing looks amazing. :unsmith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lake Louise was a great time last weekend. Much more snow than we expected the night of our arrival, then bitterly cold temps on our second two ski days cleared out all the crowds. We skied onto the gondola all day on Sunday and Monday.

Then my buddy blew his knee out in a freak accident on an easy run and had to be toboggan'd down. :( At least it was right at the end of our last ski day and he didn't have any other big trips planned this year, but... yeesh. No idea what the damage is yet but x-rays indicated a possible ACL tear. A damned shame, he's an awesome skier and most of the reason I got into it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Addendum: Brahmas are like cheating compared to standard cheap rental skis. I need to find me a cheap used pair.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Is that the resort where the entitled moron didn't read the trail map properly and ended up on YouTube screaming for his money back?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Edit: Tried to order Brahmas from a cheap online shop based in France, but they have an agreement with Blizzard to not sell stateside. :negative:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 18, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Also, when I was in NZ, where snow tires are not a thing and tire chains absolutely are, you only had to have them for two of the four wheels. It was always hilarious watching people trying and failing to get up the hill in their Corolla when they'd put the tires on the front two wheels. But yeah, 100% be sure you know how to put them on beforehand, because doing it in a dry, covered driveway is a way better way to learn than in rainy potholes covered in mud.
The Corolla is FWD (as of like 1983), am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you mean they had winter tires up front and chains in the back or something?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Ugh sorry I hosed up I meant they put the chains on the back wheels.
Haha, I should have assumed, my bad. I was assuming you mountain folk knew something about uphill snow driving that I didn't. Chains on the back is magical. :allears:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If anyone's looking to buy new gear, there's a sitewide eBay coupon for 15% off if you use the app until 7pm PST tonight. Just snagged a new pair of Brahmas and 12.0 TPX bindings for $526. :woop:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

There's another video in that post, click the right arrow.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I bought a rolling ski bag on closeout and Jesus H I wish the seats folded down in my car. :stare:

It's gonna massively simplify ski trip packing, though- I think I can fit almost all of my usual gear and clothes in it, leaving my normal tiny carry-on for stuff I might want while flying. Only wrinkle is keeping it below 50lbs.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

spwrozek posted:

With one pair of skis, or one board, this is very simple for a 5 day trip. Also you got to have wheels, makes all the difference.
Yeah, I think so. With skis/poles/boots/helmet the bag was 32lbs or so. Shouldn't be bad at all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You can fit your helmet in your ski bag? Is it soft side? I’ve got a sport tube and no way could I fit a helmet in there.
Yep, it's a Dakine soft-sided rolling double ski bag. I was concerned with airlines being dicks about "only boots in boot bags" policies so I went for the bigger ski bag to fit everything.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 23, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Kalman posted:

There are people who check their boots? (My boot bag is my carryon. Rental skis, nbd, but rental boots would ruin a trip if the airline somehow lost my poo poo.)
Yeah, I'd rather deal with just carrying my essentials through terminals and onto planes. I used to stuff my helmet into my bookbag and hated that too. I'm not gnarly enough to really care if I get the exact model of boots as rentals or whatever.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Don't come to Whistler, and I don't mean that because there are too many people here (there are), I'd much rather have someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing instead of the idiots who can't get on the gondola properly, but we're honestly so far above capacity that it has been ruining the experience for a lot of people who come up.

Unless you like waiting in gridlocked traffic for two hours on the only road in and out of town, waiting hours for service anywhere because every business in town is short-staffed, paying hundreds of dollars a night for a lovely hotel and then riding completely packed runs on a mountain that's getting so hosed by climate change there's a decent chance it'll rain on you at some point.

But yeah that will 100% happen and it will suck even more, but from what I'm hearing word is getting out to a lot of epic pass holders that Whistler sucks now and there are better options. I love living here, but I would absolutely not come here for my weekly western skiing holiday. There are waayyyyyy better options out there.
Us non-mountain folk would gladly go elsewhere for our yearly vacation if we knew where to go. Sorry for loving up your mountain. :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?
My best skiing buddy blew out his ACL and both menisci at the end of our trip last year. This year I'd like to get him back on a hill of any kind, maybe do a 3-4 ski day trip out West with the rest of my usual group, and convince my girlfriend to get back on downhill after her knees went bad in early college. Locally, 5-10 days if we get enough snow, who cares it's western Pennsylvania.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thinking of doing a trip to Killington this season. Anybody familiar? How easy is it to get around to the nightlife without driving yourself?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Booked for Killington first weekend of March, hell yeah Ice Coast

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Macnult posted:

Let’s trade spots. I’ll gladly take a bad day in Whistler over a good day at any resort in Pennsylvania
A-loving-men.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Macnult posted:

Any ice coasters been to Wisp recently? I was planning on going to Liberty or Roundtop tomorrow, but Wisp is getting some snow over the next few days and I’m debating whether or not to go there instead.
My buddy was just there yesterday and said conditions were terrible. Lazy grooming and mounds the size of cars.

Fake edit: Forgot he sent me a picture.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

davebo posted:

I do hope we just get one medium-size snowstorm at any point...
Same here. I have new skis I wanted to break in before my annual trip, and I don't want to go into it completely cold but I can't justify paying like $80 for poo poo conditions at the local places.:(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Drink more water than you normally do and don't rage too hard. You'll probably be fine. I've gone skiing out west thrice and never had any issues other than "I'm tired from hiking up this hill sooner."

That being said, a buddy of mine who also lives on the east coast, and skied out west regularly growing up, got rekt by altitude sickness when we went to Park City. The rest of us were fine. YMMV.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Unrelated: Got my first turns of the year in last Saturday at a local hill. I didn't realize how much I missed it, and I already felt more confident than I did last year. Girlfriend grew up skiing and her knees went bad in college, turns out she can still manage it for 3-4 hours before they start to hurt. We're hoping to do the Alps next year if her knees hold out, she misses it badly. :unsmith:

Also, Brahmas on the east coast are like cheating compared to rentals. Already hosed up the topsheet though, bummer.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Of course it's gonna be mid-40s and raining the day before my trip. :shepface:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

What's the weird two-word term for turning 180° while stationary on a slope by turning one ski and stepping uphill behind the other? It's not "kick turn" and I'm stumped.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

stem christie?
This is it! Thank you! Turns out it's completely different than what I remembered. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

TMMadman posted:

I know you got the answer of stem Christie, but I'm just wondering if the word stationary is a mistake since i think you'd be doing stem Christies while moving.
You're right, and I did a poor job of clarifying my mistake when I responded to Billrubin- I was misremembering whether it was moving or stationary but definitely was thinking of Stem Christie.