Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh hello there, new thread. Prepare for lots of kid stoke this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Moot . posted:

Darn Tough Socks > Smartwool Socks

Fight me.

Seems super sock-dependent. I got a pair of DTS cycling socks that are the poo poo. I also have a pair of their running socks that are meh as heck; way too thick and ill-fitting.

:shrug:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Anyone know if the CAIC going to resume zone forecasts later this year? Right now it’s all state wide. Since I missed the entirety of last season I don’t remember if they stopped doing certain forecasts due to funding cuts or what. #IStillMissTheRose

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ironlung posted:

Zone backcountry avalanche forecasts will begin in mid-November per the front page of the website.

Fair. I think I’m a big dummy and just didn’t grok that this was for individual zones and not Colorado as a zone. I remain perpetually terrified of CAIC budget cuts neutering forecasting.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

How do we like the chips headphones? Better than just shoving some AirPods up in there?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m reading CDOT twitter, what caused all the issues? Or are we officially at “literally closing I-70 every time it snows…because too much humans”?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

It was snowing a lot and very heavily. It was also very windy.

So, a blizzard?

We turned a corner in 2005(ish) when CDOT got raked over the coals for a particularly bad storm. Dozens of cars had to be rescued coming up to the tunnel, and everyone blamed them. Before the truth got out that most of the cars had bald tires or were otherwise unequipped to be up there, the narrative was already set. Prior to that their stance had basically been “well keep the roads as clean as possible, the rest is up to you.” After that it feels like they’ve basically been required to hold drivers’ hands and close 70 at the drop of a hat.

FWIW I’ve lived in Denver for basically my entire life. I have never run snow tires, but believe strongly in the power of the shovel, AWD, and not going up to the high country if you don’t know what the hell you’re doing.

e: In an effort not to come off super surly, I’m not sure what else CDOT is supposed to do. You put enough people on the roads and this is basically what you get eventually anyway. Guess it’s time to buy that place in the high country.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 25, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

copper_mountain.txt

(I am, of course, glad that no one was hurt and hope they get everything sorted).

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HookShot posted:

I would 100% wear these if they fit me.

Hell, same.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xylo posted:

People care about what color their ski gear is?

I unironically wear bright colored shells because it helps with visibility in the backcountry.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 3, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tips up. Who flips their skis upside down to put them on their shoulders?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TIL I’ve been carrying my skis wrong for 34 years. Never had an issue finding a balance point with the tips high and the tails low :shrug:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

E: I only get jackets without insulation though personally. Also in Colorado.

ayup. I'm super lazy so I just buy a shell that's packable and can go four seasons, then stuff a ton of random stuff (wool/synthetic/fleece/puffy) underneath it depending on the weather.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 8, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Finally got up to Winter Park. First turns in something like 18 months, since I had hot-brain all last season.

I didn’t realize they don’t even have the boxes strung up on the gondola named…*checks notes*…The Gondola.

The best part: my son appears to have picked up where he left off. We hit some blue-blacks and he’s champing at the bit to get to the bigger bumps. I’m trying to pump the brakes since I want to make sure he gets technique time, but there is nothing to get you stoked like watching your kid link bump turns.

Oh, also I can’t stop checking out how people are carrying their skis now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ironlung posted:

And what have we learned?

It’s weird. I started carrying my skis tips down and now all these people with goggle tans and all flylow gear keep giving me fist bumps and inviting me to hang out at “the mayor’s office.” Also I was walking toward the back of the line for Gemini with my son and a patroller just rolled up out of nowhere, pointed to his sled, and said “get on.”

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

fknlo posted:

I think 70 is pretty hosed today. I was gonna go to Copper but ended up turning around in Idaho Springs when my ETA was still 2+ hours into the future. I probably could have gone to Winter Park but I just backtracked a little and went to Eldora yet again. Snow was alright at least!

Next week and a half are always a complete and total poo poo show with the noted exception of Christmas Day, which will be dead.

I have the week off and I'm honestly just thinking about going fly fishing.

Narrator: He went skiing

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 20, 2018

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The snow informs the sleep schedule.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

fknlo posted:

You're also supposed to wake up early to go fishing. My lazy rear end might be on the water by noon?

*taps temple with finger* Not in the winter you’re not.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Update on the The Gondola gondola

“Winter Park” posted:

Yesterday and this morning we completed tuning and adjusting out terminals. We are currently in the process of dynamic load testing, which entails loading the uphill line of cabins with about 2,000 lbs of weight per cabin then running the lift through all of its operation processes

Am I a big dummy, or does 2000lbs of weight feel light for load testing a 10-person cabin? Are they just trusting the engineering?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

It is usually just 55 gallon drums filled with water. 4 of them is about 1800 lbs

The back country was so off the hook today. Woohoo.

Zone? How’s the snowpack?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Haha. Awesome. That’s a fun area.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Well I broke my collar bone...

Oh no man! That sucks. Here’s to a speedy recovery.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

What I meant is if we are headed up to the slopes I just say "we are going skiing". My gf will be skiing I could be doing either. If I am actually snowboarding I do say that.

This is the right way to do it. “Skiing” is a synecdoche.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

- Don’t play your music outside of your ear drums. You may think you have impeccable taste in music, but everyone else loving hates Imagine Dragons.

- If you see an open spot don’t feel afraid to do the old “hey, you just three?” and squeeze in.

- Weed. I just wish someone would build a place for people to smoke weed conveniently on the mountain that’s close by and would let you get back to skiing quickly. Just…idunno…someone should make that happen. :iiam:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I mean…which song are we talking about?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This “how to smoke weed at a ski resort” conversation feels kind of :psyduck:

Do you guys not have smoke shacks where you ski or…???

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

I’ve had mine for about 9 years and they feel about the same. Though I’m given to understand that you should have your orthotics looked at about every five.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HookShot posted:

What's a smoke shack? Like, a place where people specifically go to smoke?

Ayup.

(This one I feel okay posting since Winter Park talks about this “tree house” on their website.)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 8, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

quote:

edit 2:lol someone added all the smoke shacks on google maps after MJ was legalized

Boooooooo!!!! Half the fun is figuring out where the hell these things are yourself. There's one I've been looking for for over 10 years. It could be literally on either side of the resort depending on who you ask.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

My ArcTeryx pro shell pants are basically the same thing. When I get hot I just zip down the sides, but that’s usually only in maybe April-June.

If you like them get them.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

ante posted:

Hockey jerseys

Sports jerseys on game days are fine.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Which way was he carrying them?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TMMadman posted:

At winter park today

quote:

I have no real interest in moguls

I’m not sure how to tell you this…

e: Kidding aside, I think they still do the Nastar timed stuff if you’re into that sort of thing. You might ask around.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 16, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

$249 to have my youngest take an all-day lesson at Winter Park. :lol:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Those of you who have hot-tronics: how do you know if the heater is doing its job? I cranked the battery up to high and put my hand inside/touched the heating pad at the toe of the liner and I couldn't detect any warmth. Wondering if it's really that subtle or if I had a bad install/short.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Take a look at the Nomad LT or whatever.

bawfuls posted:

The sneaky private lesson for public rates is the best.

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

Truth. I got a “private” steeps lesson at CB a few years ago that totally changed the way I approach skiing.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

You might make a trek up to Larry’s Bootfitting in Boulder. They have a lot of options and knowledgeable staff.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So…turns out the Marmot Minimalist just doesn't have some of the features I'd like in a winter jacket (roomy neck area to cover up your face on the up; helmet compatible hood; pockets for days). The Trew stuff looks awesome, but the measurements lead me to believe it's fitted for taller folks. The Flylow Quantum Pro gets…weird reviews about a scratchy liner or something. Other than Arcteryx and Patagucci, are there other jackets I should be looking at? I'm looking for a solid shell that'll work inbounds and out w/ whatever layers.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

After messing around with my boots and touring bindings, I think I solved my problem with difficulty engaging the toe piece.

My problem was that when stepping on the spring that engages the toe pins, it only partially activated, leaving the pins barely touching the holes. Reaching down and manually pulling up on the tour/ski lever clicked them in, but that seemed pretty impractical.

Most of the videos I could find, as well as advice from friends with dynafit bindings, said to line up one hole and then roll the boot toward the other pin. Instead, I have been centering the toe of the boot, pressing down to partially engage the spring, and then rotating the boot forward by lifting the heel as though I were walking, which fully triggers the spring.

Anyone else had tech bindings work this way? Dynafit beast 14s (which is just a TLT toe piece) and tecnica Cochise boots. If it works it works I guess, but it seems like something as precisely machined and tested as tech bindings should work in one way, and makes me suspect I am doing something wrong.

If you’re not engaging fully after doing the usual tech incantations (whacking your toes, rotating your toes a bunch to seat the pins), that sounds like a warranty issue.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Tomorrow is my free day and it looks like there are going to be 30+ mph winds along the front range. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The long johns are fine. I wear long johns because I do more than just ski in them. You probably want another mid-layer, or a puffy but it just honestly depends on how hot or cold you run. edit: or yeah just run the hoodie over the shirt.

How thick are the long johns? The other issue you may run into with goretex pants and only lj’s is your rear end getting cold on the lift.