Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
My sympathies.

I decided to learn to snowboard last year, egged on by some 'friends'. The bastards.
Managed to beat myself black and blue on the ice in France for a week. The mid-week days were miserable but it was a lot of fun by the end. Couple weeks after I got home I found out I'd fractured my elbow (just a hairline fracture though). 10/10 will snowboard again.

This year's main trip was to Austria, last week. Things went well, nice slushy and powdery snow. It was awesome. Until day 4 when, an hour into my group lesson, the instructor took us off piste down a serious slope and I managed to nosedive the board into the powder, did a nice pretty cartwheel, felt my right knee make some interesting crunching sounds. Managed to board down to the bottom. Turns out I sprained my MCL, apparently quite a rare injury for snowboarding.
It seems to be healing well. Problem is, I am due to be going out to Switzerland for a friend's pre-wedding ski trip as well.. in less than two weeks lol. Guess we will have to see. I suppose the worst that happens is I shlep around to the nearer apres ski places on foot and hang out there drinking my sorrows away. Could be worse.

edit

Partial Octopus posted:

new split arrived today. I have a volume shifted addiction. I'm hoping it skins well being this short and wide.

As a total newbie I don't know what any of those words mean but those look like sweet boards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Tweak posted:

I remember getting the wind knocked out of me a time or two when learning to board as an adult (I had been a skier since I was ~6), but never anything especially, “bad.” No, those falls all happened much more recently, when I thought I was, “good” but actually just careless.

Have a good trip! :haw:
I made a couple pretty significant mistakes on my first trip (last year) which are part of why I got so bashed up. I booked group boarding lessons but then when I turned up on the first day the school said we don't have any groups, why don't you take a private lesson. I said ok, not knowing any better. I'd spent some time getting lessons and practising on an indoor snow slope at home (UK) so thought I was doing ok (lol). The private instructor also seemed to think so once we'd made it down some slopes and I appeared vaguely competent. So then he tried to teach me new things. Big mistake. I immediately started falling - just wasn't ready to try new stuff, it was my first time on a mountain for one thing, I just needed to be practising and have someone tell me where my basic technique was off.
Also, neither I, nor the instructor, realised that no one had ever taught me how to do flats on a snowboard. Like, I had no idea what to do on them lol. So naturally I started to go down a lot on them. On hard ice. Repeatedly. Totally lost confidence that first day.

Anyways after a few days of group lessons I finally started to get some confidence back near the end of the week - it helped that there was also some snow on day four or five so the ice problem lessened.

But yeah, bad luck and stupid decisions.
Probably also doesn't help that I'm not particularly sporty or fit, I'm skinny but don't do enough exercise in general. Once I start to get seriously tired, that's when I'm in the real danger zone though I guess it's the same for everyone.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sitting in an expensive rear end Swiss resort with my only partially healed MCL, while my mates are out enjoying perfect conditions.
gently caress.

(Tried boarding this morning but didn't go well)