Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Did you mean to link to an fyad thread instead of this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So I want some advice from the thread. I've been a permanent advanced intermediate skier forever, and I want to get better and become more comfortable skiing black diamonds. WHats the best way to do that? Should I take a private lesson? Just throw myself down some blacks and suffer through it? I can ski easy black diamonds and pick my way down harder stuff, but I'm clearly not approaching them the right way. Any pointers?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Landsknecht posted:

where are you skiing?

take a half day lesson, focusing on your technique

practice your technique on slopes you feel comfortable on, and then when you're feeling good about it, just try skiing the same way on a similar slope that's a bit steeper

I ski a lot of places, mainly Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I just struggle on moguls or really chewed up snow, but I glide down pretty much anything if its been groomed. I also don't enjoy powder skiing, and I'm fairly sure I just have technique issues that makes me struggle and overwork in those situations.

I'll try to get a half day lesson and see how it goes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Landsknecht posted:

what size of ski are you on? That will drastically change your enjoyment of powder and chop

somewhere like snowbird/alta or squaw will have plenty of blue terrain where you can practice your technique, and then just move up to a steeper run of similar terrain and ski that

don't focus on getting down the most difficult thing you can, but instead find the most difficult thing you can ski well and try that

Yeah, I've been totally happy to just cruise down blues and groomed blacks for the last decade, but I've made a real push to get into shape over the last few years and want to start challenging myself to handle tougher terrain. I'm not looking to throw myself double black chutes or something, I just want to get better at handling rougher slopes and not question why I ski every time I run into a patch of moguls.

Probably look into wider, shorter skis for handling powder better?

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 2, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Please, just give CA some rain before the entire state burns down. I can't ski on fresh ash falls :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Flying into Mammoth is great, and if you're coming from the Bay Area, its practically mandatory

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I was looking at Open Snow and it looks like it's gonna be a great few weeks of snow in California

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Mammoth too

55mph gusts no bueno, however

I've been in Mammoth for storms with well over 100 mph gusts

It snowed nearly 4 feet in a single night

I remember a while ago, probably in 2003, they had a New Years storm that dumped 100" in 2 days

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I've already got 2 trips to Utah and 2 to Mammoth planned, and I'm hoping to get to Tahoe atleast twice this year too

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Suspicious Package posted:

I’m in Colorado and just getting into skiing, and looking for some jacket advice. I took a lesson out at Beaver Creek and also did one day on my own, but rented clothes for that. I have one of these on order: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-apex-flex-gtx-2l-snow-jacket-nf0a3igc

I liked the soft shell feel of it, but it is insulated and a lot of advice I hear is try to stay away from insulation. Anyone have experience with one like this and not get too hot? Should I really think about returning for a shell?

Yeah, I'd recommend getting one that has a removable liner instead of having insulation. Its better for warm days and also lets you wash it more easily. On the other hand, its not horrible or crazy to get one with insulation, it'll just be less flexible in terms of options

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Cross country skiing has always seemed like one step above torture. Why anyone would do it for fun is a mystery to me

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm currently sitting in my hotel room, 100 feet from the lift

Tomorrow is gonna be a good day

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Had a hell of a day at today, blue skies, great snow, almost no crowd. Just demoing some skis and carving the hell out of them

Really like the Kastles and Atomics I tried

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Bought some new skis to replace my decade old pair, some nice new Atomics

I've been demoing a bunch of stuff and you owe it to yourself to try out the Elan Ampibio Fusion if you have a chance. I have never had more fun carving up groomers as I did today, but they just aren't versatile enough to be a main ski (and they're expensive as gently caress). But holy poo poo, were they fun

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Sweet, which ones?

I really want to demo the Ripstick 86's.

Atomic Vantage 90s

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Skied the Canyons side of Park City today, snow was a lot better than I expected, pretty much everything except Super Condor was running, though a bunch of runs were closed to try to keep them fresh for the holiday influx of people. The Iron Mountain area was such a great addition, a lot of fun runs over there even most of them were closed today.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So sad to be leaving Park City, but at least I'll in Mammoth over new years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The snow was great all trip in Park City and Deer Valley and I heard it was good at Alta too. They both had runs with groomed snow that were roped off to keep em fresh for the holidays. It was also super quiet though this is the first time in a while I've been out there when it wasn't a holiday weekend. We even had 2 inches of fresh powder last night, so that was fun to ski in

The one thing that sucks about finally getting in shape is that you don't feel sore after a long trip. I actually kinda miss it, it makes me feel like I didn't push myself enough.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 20, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Had a fun day up at Mammoth, didn't get to do anything too excited since we were skiing with a family friend. I think my dad and I are gonna be on our own tomorrow, so should be able to hit some of the tougher stuff

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

I didn't do this because of skiing but after doing squats with weight while balanced on a half bosu ball my stabilizing muscles became much stronger and my balance and therefore skiing ability increased. I highly recommend them.

Yeah, I've been doing every kind of squat known to man over the past year and I'm at the point where my calfs are getting fatigued before everything else

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today. Probably single digits when we got onto the mountain and still in the low teens before we called it a day. What kind of face and glove stuff do you guys wear? My fingers were freezing in my gloves and my face was still kinda miserable even with a mask (especially since the part around my mouth was doggy with breath condensation)?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

fknlo posted:

There were so many people out today. I actually had to stand in lift lines and I didn't care for it. Go get jobs.

I've skied so much the past few weeks, I want to quit my job and become a full-time skibum

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Lately people are bringing waterproof radios into the shower at the gym. I'm in a weird place where I want to be offended but I don't want to be Offended Guy.

Weed and music are going hand in hand here, don't make decisions and then force them on people. That goes for your vape and your music.

Also Mammoth 4.5 feet and counting.

I was at Mammoth last week and I felt like the place was about 2 feet away from being in perfect shape and then they go and get 4 feet

Looking forward to my Tahoe trip towards the end of the month

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 7, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ante posted:

You might be referring to Back Panther, and the story is much funnier than you'd expect from that summary

Was he the "arm reduction" guy?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Yuns posted:

My home mountain in NJ is nothing but hockey jerseys and NFL team jackets as far as the eye can see.

I was at Deer Valley earlier this year and almost everyone under 20 had an NBA or NFL jersey over their ski jacket. I wish I had brought some of my vintage inexplicable jersey purchases on that trip for extra hipster cred

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

tokenbrownguy posted:

I had a great time to this weekend. Got my first 12 run day in, only fell a bit, feeling more comfortable. :unsmith:

End of the day I went in for a piss and came out and my skiis were gone. Stuck around for another hour hoping somebody grabbed them by accident, but they never showed. Guess my season is over. Shouldn't have bought a season pass. :smith:

Oh poo poo, that sucks :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Residency Evil posted:

Last year I was in Park City where half the mountain was closed because of too little snow. Now, I'm in squaw where tomorrow the mountain may be closed because of...too much snow!?

gently caress it I'm done trying to ski outside of Colorado.

Its also like 100 mph winds over the crests, the sierras get super windy during storms

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gvFYAidtoE

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Kazak_Hstan posted:

hell yeah everybody break everything

No :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KellyCanuckTO/status/1087081869118709761

This owns

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm going to squaw tomorrow, what's good advanced intermediate terrain that won't kill my dad?

Also, Northstar was great today. Great snow, sunny, only a little overcrowded

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spime Wrangler posted:

went to the ER after with a frozen cornea.

:stonk:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh man, it is gorgeous at Squaw today

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gorgeous day of spring skiing in January, god drat was it hot out

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fifty Three posted:

Growing up skiing looks amazing. :unsmith:

Please don't put your kids on those ski leashes

Or if you do, take pictures to embarrass them when they grow up

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Man, Park City has been great the last few days, about a foot overnight last few days, and today has been mostly sunny and windfree.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

What the gently caress the RFID epic passes are poo poo anyway and all that happens is you end up with people holding up the chair because they can't figure out what side to put their pass/the pass scanners aren't working right/some combination of the two.

Its weird, I have trouble at a lot of IKON places, but I've never had an issue at EPIC places. Same jacket and everything

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Going up to Squaw this weekend

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hey, if we have a 4wd car and it says to carry chains, should we have enough for 2 wheels or all 4?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Ugh, miserable at squaw today, near white out conditions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Alpine Meadows has been amazing today