Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Just went snowboarding for the first time in 7 or 8 years and found these in my old stash of gear. I'm pretty sure a goon was making and selling these around 2009 when I first started. Does anyone remember these?

Anyway, my SO and I took a few days to go to Tahoe last weekend with friends and both realized how much we missed snowboarding and want to get back into it and upgrade some of our gear. The soles of her boots literally just disintegrated into tiny pieces, the foam on my goggles is crumbling away, and the date on my helmet is from 2008.

Any thoughts on the Patagonia Powder Town gear? Kinda hard to find good reviews. Looking at at just getting bibs to replace my old pants.

Also just bought a Giro Jackson. Tried it on at REI and it felt great. Any goggle recommendations that will work well the helmet? They've already restocked for the summer season and there's not really many other stores in LA. Was looking at the Smith Squad, or something else in that price range. I'm ot too concerned with magnetic or spherical lenses. Is there a good reason to not go cheaper than $100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Dude that guy was awesome. I can't recall his handle and name though. He was up in steamboat and then down in Vail running their ski school or something. Really cool guy.
That's a cool bit of history. I don't remember any of that.

ante posted:

Hah, I've got one of those, too. Same colour scheme.

Well, no idea where it is, but I used to
I remember loving the silver paisley think I was all hot poo poo back then.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’ve heard good things about the powder town shell and will probably go with those when I replace my arcteryx pants because I don’t want to spend $700 and Patagonia is good with fixing poo poo if it goes wrong.
Yeah, I do like that about Patagonia too. The other sustainability stuff is also a plus.

I just realized I might need a new jacket too. Just looked at my old Sessions shell and all the tape is releasing from the seams, but it's also white with some black patches, and the white doesn't stay clean for long. Maybe next season though. I'll just coat it with Nikwax for now and pray for the best.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Anyone have any recommendations for runs at Palisades? It'll be my first time there on Monday. I'd say I'm an intermediate snowboarder.

I guess I'm looking for ungroomed terrain, maybe some easier tree runs. Not looking for cliffs and drops.

It's supposed to snow a bit Sunday into Monday, so hopefully there'll be some ok conditions.

Edit: Steve French, my goon atlas says you're a local...

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Steve French posted:

If it opens, head to Shirley Lake / Solitude for mellow (blue) trees. If it's cold and not wet at the bottom, Paulsen's gully between Red Dog and Resort Chair is real good, a bit steeper, but a pain in the rear end if Far East isn't running, which for some mysterious reason it hasn't been on weekdays lately. For steeper than that, Granite Chief.

I'm less familiar with Alpine but if you're on that side, go to Sherwood and Lakeview.

Thanks for the tips here. Shirley Lake and Solitude ended up being pretty great because the runs were sheltered from the wind. We tried some Gold Coast runs too, but the winds swept everything away down to the ice, so those weren't very fun.

The cloud cover higher up on the mountain also got thicker later in the day and made it hard to see the snow, and of course I didn't bring my low light lenses.

Would have been nice to spend a couple more days there. Palisades is huge.