Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

highme posted:

I can get lenses on that pro-form I posted about near the end of the last thread. They're still a bit spendy, but definitely more affordable.
Remind me how much the I/O mag is on that form? I do need new goggles...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

McStephenson posted:

...are we ever going to get good snow years anymore, I grew up in Texas and don’t know what’s good or bad
climate change means in the near term we'll get more volatility of snowfall and more mid-winter rain events

so, maybe?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Also 170 lbs and (almost) the best skier on the mountain, expert or WC straps?
Booster straps are the bomb. I'll never go back to the stock velcro bs. You don't need the WC imo, but that's personal preference. The WC have an extra bit of webbing in addition to the three elastic bands, which you could just snip and make it the same as the expert. That's what I did and I'm quite happy with how they ski.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 9, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davebo posted:

I've always gone to Jackson Hole in late Jan early Feb, and haven't been since 2015. Any idea what it might be like this year in mid-Jan or historically is that a decent time to go? I've got a 50/50 record the six times I've been of it being good, so I figure whenever I go it'll just dump powder the second I leave anyway.
There is no way to know at this time what it’ll be like other than historical trends. But yes in general that is the ideal time to go to Jackson. Enough time for the base to build up and cover all that steep terrain, but early enough that the sun isn’t baking everything if it hasn’t snowed in a week.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

that's one of those "Forbes" articles that is really just some guy's blog that Forbes lets you publish on their site for a fee or whatever

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sierras lookin' good with a nice follow up to the ~2ft we got last week, planning to hit Mammoth this weekend

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

gusts to 55 aren't that bad by Mammoth standards and at this time of year they can help plaster the wet new snow to all the rocks

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

kiimo posted:

Sorry when I say 55 mph winds no bueno I'm very specifically thinking about riding up Chair 23 freezing my nuts off.
i hear there's a safety bar on 23 now!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

fknlo posted:

Uh, yeah. The brighter the better.

Dangerllama posted:

I unironically wear bright colored shells because it helps with visibility in the backcountry.
this, but mostly so my friends can find me in crowded lodges and lift lines

Mammoth was lovely this weekend, unusually cold and the second wave storm was soooooo light and dry. It's been awhile since Mammoth had a solid early season base like this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

movax posted:

touché

I'm a skiing noob and my current question is wondering how normal people afford to do this all the time. Everything seems obnoxiously expensive.
the industry has made a conscious turn towards the more affluent over the past 20 or so years, reflecting the broader hollowing out of the economy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Landsknecht posted:

well I mean what does 5 days of skiing in CO or utah cost a family of four coming from the NE? It's not cheap
exactly, which is why they are aiming for families that make probably $200k+ in that scenario

affordable skiing for working class people used to be more accessible when there were more small local ski areas and the big ones were all independent

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*PUNCH* posted:

I will cop to basically always carrying my skis with my shoulder between the toe and heel pieces, because poo poo balances nicely like that and there's less to swing behind me, and gently caress it, it's been too long since I've carried like a dipshit, where the gently caress is my season god dammit. I miss carrying skis and that is a hosed up thing to miss
If you carry with tips forward and the front of the front binding just behind your shoulder, the skis will balance well at a steeper angle (so tips down tails up) which gets the tails up and away from people's heads and makes it easier/safer to maneuver in crowded areas. It is more difficult to maintain this angle if your shoulder is between the bindings instead of in front of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU5cftDHOqo

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2018

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

TMMadman posted:

Haha yeah I suppose I shouldn't have said nobody. Maybe nobody smart

But I certainly carry at an angle with my tips up.
you can not as easily balance them at as steep an angle with the tips up

the point of the method i described is to make the angle steep enough to keep the skis (that are behind your head and out of your vision) away from other people's heads

there's a reason the method i described is called "the local" in that tgr video

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

look at this loving gaper carrying his skis all weird!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Skiboard != Snowblade if there was any confusion. The former are long and wide boards that are worn like skis
can you show us some visual aids to demonstrate this distinction? Cause "long and wide boards that are worn like skis" just sounds like skis to me

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.rvl8skiboards.com/

they're wider than skis and like 100cm
those are just weird rear end snowblades imo

also ROFL at *still* putting non-release bindings on those things, especially at that length!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don't buy that a 100cm long ski with a 137mm waist width floats better in powder than my 189cm long, 135mm waist width Armada Bubbas.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That launched a year ago and it looked promising, but I haven’t seen anyone report on using for a full season yet.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here's the TGR Forums thread on the Phantom thing, seem to be positive impressions there thus far

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/314708-DPS-Phantom-Glide/page11?highlight=dps+phantom

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Park riding after 30: not even once

(I was bad at it as a youth anyway tho)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

how many consecutive overall titles is she going to reel off now?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Weed is obviously in a social transition period where people haven't yet developed/internalized new norms surrounding it's use. It seems obvious to me that people should be just as courteous about it as with cigarettes. Don't smoke in a crowded public place where other people are subjected to your choices.

But if you're skiing with weed and AREN'T using a vape at this point, what are you even doing you idiot?? It is 1000x more convenient and in CA/OR/WA/CO vapes are cheap and plentiful.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 7, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.
I’ve been skiing the same cork footbeds for more than 15 years now and they’re fine. They had to be shaved down a bit for my current boots (the third pair I’ve had them in now).

The important thing to look out for is to make sure they get a chance to dry out after you ski. Sometimes this means pulling them out of your boots overnight to dry out. If they stay moist (and your feet sweat, they will have moisture) they can tend to delaminate.

Newer materials may not be as susceptible to this as traditional cork footbeds, idk.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Made a lot more sense when you were passing around a joint or a bowl with buddies. Finding a nice spot and settling in for a safety meeting in the woods was always a good time, though I never got to use any rad shacks.

Widespread legalization is probably going to see a lot of that kind of stoner culture just straight vanish, both because pocket vapes are incredible and because nobody gives a poo poo so why hide anymore? The transgressiveness was fun when I was younger but the tradeoff is worth it IMO.
Agreed. A classic safety meeting with friends is still fun from time to time, even though modern vapes have made them much more rare for me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Headed to Jackson tomorrow through Tuesday, perfectly timed to catch their sunny weather break in between storm systems :saddowns:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pretty drat hype about this forecast, if it stays cold enough Baldy will be prime this week

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Looks like the day to be at Baldy is tomorrow. Rain in the forecast Thursday.

I’m about to leave Jackson and it just started dumping here, after being sunny the past four days.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Looks like the day to be at Baldy is tomorrow. Rain in the forecast Thursday.

I’m about to leave Jackson and it just started dumping here, after being sunny the past four days.
hahaha look at this idiot!

Turns out the day to be at Baldy was Tuesday. Last night/early this morning brought some rain all the way up, even though as late as last night the forecast said snow levels would stay below 7000ft till today.

I arrived in the parking lot at 8:30, rode up to the notch, and was informed that Thunder had derailed earlier and wouldn’t be open till about noon. So we decided to hike Thunder via the cat road/groomer and check it out. My friends had hopes of Telegraph (sidecountry) but the weather killed that idea quick. It was drippy and foggy all morning, and there was a thin rime/crust on top of the soft (wet) snow. We skied back down to the notch through the extremely-Baldy breakable crust and I called it a day.

It’s a real shame this system ended warm because if it had just been another foot of snow instead, the whole mountain would be open and set up for a solid several weeks of skiing at least. Now it’s back to barely-covered survival mode and praying for another storm system ASAP. If the marketing hype brings out crowds this weekend, the snow will be decimated.

C’est la Baldy

edit: in vintage Baldy fashion, I did see an older gentlemen in straight up old leather work boots clamped into modern (40 years old) bindings on the hill today

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 17, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just get thin socks you weirdo wtf

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As the past dozen or so posts demonstrate, individual experiences with ski boots varies wildly.

Some people have a weird shaped foot and can't ever quite manage to get comfortable. Some have poor circulation and are always cold/numb. Others ski stiff boots all day without any hassle.

Personally I have the Platonic Ideal of Lange Foot so my boots fit great.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The sneaky private lesson for public rates is the best.

I've found you can get it somewhat frequently if you're above ~advanced intermediate, because people at that skill level are generally happy with where they're at and don't see lessons as worthwhile.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ante posted:

I couldn't

Except learning how to do jumps better and flips, how do I learn that without dying
https://www.momentumskicamps.com/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I am thinking of getting a BC ski setup for those trips with long flatish runouts that suck on my split. Plus I do enjoy skiing as well.

Any opinions on all the BC boots out there? I am probably going to put the Salomon Shift binding on the skis. My in bound skis are in decent shape but can be a bit relegated to rock duty. So go for a all around setup geared a bit more towards the BC. (since I have a number of snowboards and a split I just can't get all quivery with skis...)

Any thoughts on skis? I am going to try for as much on sale as I can get. Probably 100-100 in the waist and 172-176 in length. I don't really want to a super duper light ski honestly but not a crazy heavy on either.

Also you should all tell me that I shouldn't do any of this, I have enough gear, I am hurt and don't spend money from FOMO, etc. etc. etc....
For boots, get whatever tech-compatible boot your preferred manufacturer makes. I presume you already know how to find ski boots that fit, and have gravitated towards a brand that seems to fit you best.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I’ve been skiing Lange boots for a decade and the Freetour is my current boot. Fits and skis great, walk mode and WTR sole are great quality of life improvements even if I only tour a couple times a year.

I got that boot when it was new and the only tech fitting boot Lange made. Looks like now there are three different stiffnesses and two different last widths available with tech inserts and walk modes, so lots of options.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 23, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Baldy currently on track for about a foot this Saturday, and I’m quite tempted to get some turns in Sunday morning before football

Anyone else in SoCal thinking the same?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My name is Bawfuls and I am hyped to shred SoCal

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is the oldest picture I have skiing, like 5 or so at Mt Waterman

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

congrats on coming back to win the powder 8's man, it was super inspiring
Thanks, it's what Dex would have wanted

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

not visible in that picture: the string tied to my mitten, threaded through the jacket sleeves to the other side, and tied to the other mitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Farewell to the GOAT American ski racer

https://twitter.com/lindseyvonn/status/1091359844022607872