Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Went skiing for the first time in 20 years. Loveland Ski Area was great with zero lines and plenty of trails for me. Took a lesson the first day and quickly got the swing of things for the next two. Managed to go down a few easier blues and accidentally down a black. I love Texas but mountains and cold are what I crave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Last year I went skiing for the first time in 25 years at Loveland. It was p good. Looking to go again around December 7-11 since flights from Houston to Denver are ridiculously cheap ($53 round trip)

Is Loveland going to still be ok early season by then or is somewhere else probably better since last year was a fluke year with tons of snow?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah balls. Figures that Loveland is getting 2 feet of snow right after I leave. $53 round trip from Houston was stupidly good to pass up just wish a few more trails were open when I was there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

It’s early season ..... you’ll have more!

I usually get 1 trip a year to the mountains and had to burn some vacation so early season it was for me.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Im about to do a 2 week road trip out to Utah and make my way right past Wolf Creek on my way home to Texas. I hope it stays open because I want to get my one year of skiing in in an area that has what seems to be an amazing early season.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Been on a two week road trip in Utah and Colorado. Figured I’d pop into Wolf Creek today. Uh yea that pass is nothing to gently caress with. Thought the storm had blown through overnight but noooope. A terrifying back slide later and yea I’m out of there.

I’d probably have been fine tomorrow but my fiancée has vetoed that idea. Good call.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Ha, skiing would have been good though! did you have AWD/4WD and snow tires or chains?

Lol I wish.

We’re from Houston in a 2WD Grand Cherokee we had no business even trying that morning. Roads look good now though! Bummer.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I watched a YouTube of that and it looks insane.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gay Ski Week sounds like a good time. Just a ski attire inspired pride full of fabulous outfits and microwaves.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I stumbled upon the ikon 4 day pass on accident at the literal 11th hour before they stopped selling them while booking our trip to steamboat. It’s a wash but it got me an extra day of skiing so I’ll take it. I envy all of you that actually live close to mountains.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonna be in Steamboat next week and it looks like 3/4 days in there are gonna solid powder days with the storm coming through. Any ideal places for a first timer?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Steamboat was an absolute banger of a time. I haven’t skied in a few years but I managed to hit most of the hard and powdery stuff in some capacity. 3/4 days were nice and sunny out. Just phenomenal conditions really. Good town life too with solid happy hours.

I REALLY need a private lesson at this point because I probably have some bad habits I’ve picked up that I wont be able to YouTube or read out of.

“I never want to shred pow ever again. I want to be back in Florida wake boarding” is probably the line of the trip that we heard from some kid that was absolutely not having it.

Now to convince the wife to move out of Texas

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

marjorie posted:

Mostly just a trip report from a struggling newbie, question at the end.

Went out for the first time this season - I know my progress is painfully slow, but I think I'm going to stick with snowboarding for at least awhile longer. I really feel like I made some headway today - did a bunch of drills down an easy slope (taking advantage of good snow and walk-on lifts) and increased my confidence a ton. I was charging instead of being trepidatious, my linked turns were smoother, I only had one little fall.

Then my skiier friend showed up just when I was about to head home, convinced me to go up to the top with him for "one last [very long] run." But everything was windswept to hell up there, and I lost it. Just kept falling from the start, which totally drained my energy and made things even harder; it was rough (and of course an added layer of frustration and embarrassment from a couple particularly bad spills and from making my friend wait on me, even though he was a good sport about it).

BUT, even with that, I can't wait to go back, so I think I gotta keep at it.

Question time: when I was running drills on the easy slope, I got to the point where I could really start to focus in on how I was shifting my weight and which foot was applying more pressure, etc. I think that can really help me build up technique, so are there any recommended guides or videos that get into rules of thumb for things like that (like, if you want to deal with bumpy snow, shift this way, or how to move differently for wide turns vs quick maneuvers)? Or can I just pretty much watch whatever top youtube videos for snowboarding tips and be good? I made some discoveries through trial and error, but thought it might be good to hear some things now that I'm not just pouring all my focus on staying upright however I can (at least on the easy terrain).

E: oh, and it was a total missed opportunity, because I knew my friend was coming, so I was going to ask him to take video of me coming down the hill I'd been practicing on to see if I looked as good as I felt. But instead he got a video of me falling spectacularly when I was trying to ease my way down a steep\icy part but then lost it trying to tell him not to film me :negative:

YouTube will help some but you just gotta pull the trigger on getting lessons. I’m in the same boat with skiing. I go for a week once a year and yea I can make my way down okay, my time would probably be better spent taking a full days lesson to learn and improve the rest of the trip.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What are the best sites to pick up gear during the summer sales? As a Texas skier that's looking to put more time on the slopes every year it's finally time I got something proper instead of the stuff I've scavenged from Goodwill.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.kxan.com/weather/noaa-declares-el-nino-advisory-issued/

Release the Nino

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Ah the joys of being a nasty one trip a year out of state skier where if I just wait for a bit it’s like the season was normal the whole time!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Summer in Canada seems nice

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Buy a new set and return it after you make a copy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I absolutely could have used that when I was goofing trying to take a video for friends and ate poo poo and threw my phone like 20 ft in the process

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Brighton and Solitude have been pretty good this weekend. Dig the vibe at Brighton for sure.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

drat that’s lovely. They should absolutely fix you up other than just refunding any work they charged.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you didn't pay cash time to do a charge back

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My wife has a terrible time with skiing and more specifically ski boots. She has thick filipino calves\cankles and ski boots are absolutely not working out for her when we get rentals. Surely snowboarding is the answer as an alternative without having to drop hundreds on a properly fitted ski boot for an activity she does 1 day out of the year.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

190" of snow LOCK IT IN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I recently did Brighton and Solitude while staying in the city and riding the bus. It’s good and easy. If you plan on riding the bus make it a point to get on at the very first stop. During the weekend or a powder day it will be full from the start and if you’re at one of the other park and rides you’ll just look at a full bus just pass you by as you look at it longingly. Arrive at the first stop a good 20 minutes before schedule departure so you can sit the whole time too.