Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Anyone here familiar with the family ski scene in Vermont/NH? I'm trying to plan our presidents week ski trip (T-Th) and having trouble deciding where to go.

Background is that my Wife doesn't ski and my kids are 10 and 11 and have been doing lessons at Nashoba and, this year, Wachusett and last year we did two days at Waterville Valley. So, the kids were pretty comfortable on all the Waterville Blue's last year despite the horrendous conditions but hated the one black we tried to the point that they are still worried about it. To be fair it was so icy that the slope looked like it was strewn with corpses from all the people who had fallen and we were forced into it because the blue trail we wanted turned out to be closed after we had committed.

I have no other experience in the area other than a trip to sugarbush before the kids were born.

Anyway, mostly debating either Okemo or Killington. Killington seems to get good marks generally because it's huge and theres good maintenance but Okemo seems kind of ideal because it seems that even most of it's blacks would be solid blue's somewhere else and it's still got a lot of trails even if not as much as Killington.

It's kind of important that the mountain be pretty well laid out and marked since I really don't want to end up with a situation where someone makes a wrong turn and ends up at a different base especially as its just me skiing with them and my understanding is that Killington is pretty confusing sometimes.

So, at the moment I am leaning pretty heavily toward Okemo. Any thoughts or strong opinions on this choice? If someone thinks neither of these is a good choice then that would be interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Great thanks for the reply's. Okemo it is!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

I'd also consider looking at Smuggler's Notch as they're a really great family resort.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind for next year. The kids seem to be having a great time skiing the last couple of years so I'm hoping to start branching out more as they get older. Heck, I might even start considering day trips since there's several places within about 2 - 2.5 hours which isn't unreasonable given 9am open and 4pm close for most resorts.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cabbages and Kings posted:

saw this in the parking lot, too :laugh:

I SEE WHERE YOUR TRUE ALLEGIANCES ARE

Can’t you practically walk from Sugarbush to MRG?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

On another topic, I don't suppose Vail has a thing like Wolf Creek where beginners can buy a half price lift ticket that limits them to just the beginner area? I'm going there in a couple of weeks on an Epic Pass, my wife is a beginner and is coming but doesn't have a pass and we don't really want to buy full price tickets when she's doing the easiest of greens right now.

Check the lessons packages. Sometimes the 1 hour lesson where you join a random group of newbs will include a limited lift ticket.

Sounds like a lesson would be good for her anyway and give you a little time to go hit the bigger terrain.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Tell me you’re middle aged without telling me you’re middle aged. They live came out in 1988.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Murgos posted:

Great thanks for the reply's. Okemo it is!

Thanks everyone for your input. We just got back last night and we all had a great time at Okemo. We must have run down Rum Run 20 times, even my daughter who is a very cautious skier was loving that little dip right before it merges with upper mountain road. My son’s favorite was Tuckered Out, with all its twists and turns, over on the Jackson Gore side.

The crowds were pretty bad Tuesday but the bubble lifts cleared the lines okay as long as you didn’t go all the way down to the base. Wednesday was better and Thursday the lines were pretty minimal. The weather was beautiful, blue skies nice sun, moderate wind, not too cold. The mountain was very well marked with signage practically everywhere making for very convenient points to wait for everyone to catch up and with the bases so well separated there was little risk of someone going the wrong way and ended up lost.

The only downside was really the complete lack of snow cover over the sheets of blue ice down the middle of many of the trails. That whole part of Vermont was pretty much completely barren of snow.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Yeah I don’t think I would recommend snowboarding to start out to someone my age, and I’m under 40. Much easier to learn when you bounce. Likewise I have a 4 year old nephew who’s about to start snow sports and I absolutely will try to start him on a snowboard because that’s the time to learn. You can always pick up skiing later.

I started to learn to snowboard at around 40 to try and entice my wife into learning so we could have that joint activity. She gave up after a couple of lessons so I stopped as well since I wasn’t into falling and getting up with a board strapped to your feet and when your core strength isn’t great just kind of sucked.

That said, I found the actual snow boarding part of it pretty easy. Like the motions to kind of casually slide down the hill and transfer edges didn’t take a lot of technique and was pretty natural. Want to stop? Just twist your body and lean back. Want to turn? Just lean that way. Heel and toe vs the insides and outsides of your feet I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Today was a great day. Huge wind event last night, not like Tahoe huge but 94mph at the top lifts. Loaded the expert terrain on the other side of the mountain really nicely. The snow was super wet though which we are not used to, I dunno how you Pacific snowpack people do it.

Meanwhile on the east coast people are like, “I hope the sun comes out and melts this stuff so it’s not rock hard.”